Texas to Florida - new sailor

Mar 27, 2016
Hunter 31 Rockport, TX
OK--you got me, I'm lost. Sorry for the inaccurate paraphrasing. I guess I don't what PADI divers do; I thought it was mainly ocean diving.
PADI is only the certifying agency. They make it so you can rent equipment or get air tanks filled.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Check out Lakewood Yacht Club website and search for Harvest Moon Regatta. This a race from Galveston to Port Aransas about 250 miles. The race instructions contain a minimum list of safety equipment for a coastal distance such as this. I own a H31 and would not go offshore on an overnight coastal,sail without this level of gear onboard. as others have mentioned this is a good coastal sailboat if in good shape, especially the standing rigging. Have a surveyor check out compression post as well. Explain your intents and plans for distances to be sailed. Definitely will need extra engine spares such as fuel filters, impellers, etc. good luck and keep,us posted.

Dec 29, 2014
Hunter 33 Dallas
Do it,,, we did it in 2015.. from Galveston, TX to Jacksonville, FL in our then first sailboat. a project boat at that 33ft 1982 hunter cherubeni. you can do the ICW all the way to the panhandle of FL.. there is a lot of barge traffic.. up to the Harvey lock.. after that none.. use your VHF.. those guys are really professional. and is say that because FL boaters SUCK... we crossed the gulf from port Carrabelle to Clear-water , then down the cost and crossed Lake Okeechobee and up the Atlantic cost... trip.. takes a little time cause your motoring all day but you can stay in a marina or anchor each night easy..
FYI we spent the last year fix and upgrading the boat and were off to the Bahamas in April...
You can Do it!!!

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Only you can decide what is right for you to do. Be safe, take care of yourself so no one has to risk their life to save you and do your due diligence as to time, weather conditions and boat preparation. Some people need to plan for every possible unforeseen event and others go on faith that it will be OK, don't know where you fit into the spectrum. What nobody mentioned was the up sized standing rigging, while sounding like a good idea on paper it transmits much larger loads on chainplates & backing blocks which shows up as problems elsewhere, especially on boats built to minimum scantlings.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Yes sailing the Gulf is vastly different than small lakes, but Lake Michigan is a different matter.. and can also have storms and high waves, rather quickly, which have sunk many a boat.

I took a 46' Sport Fisherman I bought in Tampa up the coast back to Galveston in 2004... We had a hurricane coming up behind us... that had crossed FL and weakened. Our first leg was that 250 miles up the coast from Tampa , no intercostal. It was rough. But we could do 35 mph and wind direction not a problem.... It took us 12 hours before we could get into a port and tie up for the night, so our actual speed was closer to 20 mph, flying compared to sailing.

That was basically the only part of the trip, wide open, no place to head in...
to. You might want to stop in Destin, Ft Walton Bch ( try the docks at Helen Back Pizza).
I would plan to do your trip in 12 hour stages (and plan for even shorter stopping points in case things change. Enjoy the ride. If the weather is bad, or you want to see the country head into the intercostal. The Gulf is every bit as entertaining in the warmer months as Key West and much cheaper. There is Freeport, Galveston, Biloxi(great City Docks, do some gambling, take in a show), Lake Charles, Morgan City, New Orleans, and etc. Lots to see... Sail near the coast, takes longer but you miss the unlighted oil rigs and etc.

If you make it to Cape Coral you can stay at my backyard dock...

This summer I'm going to do something stupid also. I'm taking with my wife, a Hunter 380 from Charleston to Cape Coral. I will break it in for 30 days first. I have had it completely refitted after I bought it, when another sailboat on the hard fell on top of it, wiping out all running and standing rigging including mast. I have not sailed in 40 years although have always been boating (grew up on Chesapeake Bay and FT. Lauderdale). Yes it has been surveyed and will be surveyed again.

Make sure you have almost 2 of everything. A good chart plotter is a necessity, and you can use a Smart Phone or Pad with a GPS as backup. I have new 48 mile radar and AIS transceiver and an EPIRB, . I have 2 MFDs, 2 Depth finders, Plus Smart Phone and PAD, interfaced to all my Raymarine equipment, Have XM with weather service. Also have a RIB with 9.9. Have extra fuel tanks and water tanks(collapsible 5 gallon)(and 2 Shaker Siphons hoses), spare winch handles, auto inflatable life vest, even electric winches and a WinchRite. Plan is to average just 100 miles per week or less. Many stopping points plotted out, more than needed, just in case. Purchased Books on the intercostal and anchorages along the way ( you should do the same for your planned trip.. and some are online, great info. maps, docking info , transient slips). I plan to sail close to shore, playing with the on shore off shore winds, and motoring when weather is bad in the intercostal... I have 350 watts of solar panels for charging and 2 banks of house batteries, lots of flashlights, head strap lights, spare clamps, doubled clamped everything, Rescue Silicon self sealing tape for any hoses that develop a leak. Have lots of rechargeable bats and a universal charger, 2000 watt inverter. Ditch bags. 3 anchors. 10 small hanging solar led lights. I have even bought one of the those red/green/white laser Christmas lights after Christmas for 15 bucks, which should make quit a display on the sails. I have 2 VHFs. And of course 2 flare guns and other flares. Also have a portable 2000 watt generator. Spare stainless screw and bolt kits. And I put in all new hatches and opening ports. Engine recently serviced (has just 500 hours). RIB and its engine new. 2 tool sets. Drills. Changed out all lights to LED, reducing power usage about 75% and should not have to change a light again. Did I mention I have a spare prop and diving gear. You don't have to do all of this. Oh and like when I'm going to drive a lot, I will have the 5 Hour Shots to drink, to stay awake if I need to.

So yes, I believe the boat will be prepared, if it does not sink from all this stuff.. It's me and my wife I'm worried about at 68, and that is only being wise. The shore will likely never be off my Radar, at least that's what I have told my wife.

Regards and good luck,

VIPER

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Great idea, Photo-Dude!

First of all, a well maintained Hunter 31 is an excellent coastal cruiser. One idea to think of is to hire a good instructor to spend a day with you on your new boat to check out both you, the boat, and its systems. We did this when we bought our h27, and combined with our survey it clearly identified what we needed to do to get ourselves and our boat ready for 17 years of cruising the Great Lakes.

I think some weeks of local cruising and establishing your live-aboard routines will prepare you for day cruises along the ICW. Crew would be helpful and fun for the ICW, but I would also start doing some solo legs.

Crossing the corner of the Gulf from the Panhandle to the Gulf will bring two entirely new challenges: maintaining watches through 24 hours for a couple of days, and learning to forecast the weather while developing contingency plans for failed forecasts. For the first, I would definitely have crew aboard, for the second, I would spend my time in the ICW learning to read the weather by eyeball, NOAA, a commercial app (I use Weather Bug) and weather radar (on my phone). By the time you come to the open ocean leg, I think you will be ready for it. Take your time! Forcing yourself into iffy weather because you are in a hurry is almost always a mistake.

Keep coming back here to share your trip and ask for our ideas. Buy some good sailing books to read as you go. Learn to develop contingency plans for every possibility. Enjoy yourself!

Fair winds, and following seas!