Texas to Florida - new sailor

Mar 27, 2016
Hunter 31 Rockport, TX
I'm fairly new to sailing. Have sailed on a Colgate 26 and a Catalina 25 on a local lake but no experience on the ocean other than as a passenger on dive boats. I plan on looking at a boat in Texas next week down by Corpus Christi and if it checks out okay, it may be my new home. My goal is to get it to the keys and Bahamas single handing it.

The boat is a 31' Hunter that's been well cared for and upgraded with all new, heavier standing and running rigging that was professionally installed, updated electronics, etc. I've spoken with the owner a couple of times on the phone and found out he's retired Air Force and everything he and his son, a mechanical engineer, did to the boat was as though he'd keep it the rest of his life. Old age and health issues have led him to put her up for sale. I've heard all of the negative feedback on Hunters so not interested in that. Given my limited experience and knowledge of the sea, how should I approach this?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If you do buy this boat, take some time getting to know her before attempting to make the crossing. You can stay pretty close to shore from TX to the panhandle of FL but then you are going to be offshore for about 225 nm til you get to my area which is Tarpon Springs/Clearwater and will be the first place you can safely put in due to your draft. Do your homework. This forum was a great place to start. I think this might be a fairly long thread. Stay tuned.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
What year is it? I have an '83 H31 and I love it. Also, I live in Houston (Corpus is just around the corner) and would be happy to help or share what I know.

Mar 27, 2016
Hunter 31 Rockport, TX
The boat is a 1987. This is the write up on it.

• 1987 Hunter 31 sloop with fixed keel, 3 very good sails including a main, jib, and racing genoa.
  • USA Documented and Texas registration
  • Perfect Yanmar Diesel 2GM20 freshwater cooled (recently removed and totally renovated as necessary, checks out as new), new motor mounts
  • two deep discharge heavy duty batteries with smart charger
  • all accessories go with boat including all manuals, 2 Garmin GPS's, 2VHF
  • Radios, Autopilot, sonar depth finder and fish finder, 2 anchors,chain and manual windlass.
  • All new interior cushions and upholstery. C-Cushions for the Cockpit
  • Profurl Roller Furler
  • Pedestal Steering with instrumentation
  • all new standing and running rigging professionally installed.
  • This sailboat is being sold only because my wife and I have some health issues and are unable to use it anymore.
  • I have maintained and upgraded the various systems and have $11,000 in receipts to record the work.
  • The hull was in excellent condition when the last bottom job was done and I believe that a new bottom coat is probably the only thing to be done in the near future.
  • The layout of the interior is very nice and roomy and will sleep 5 easily.
  • The head includes a shower and holding tanks.
  • The galley is handy and well laid out with a stainless sink, 2 burner stove and microwave.
  • The icebox is large and has a 12 volt refrigeration unit added.
  • The central air conditioner and heat pump setup works well and keeps the whole boat cool when plugged into shore power.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Can be done but consider having a friend along. .. From Corpus to about Pensacola, the commercial traffic is pretty heavy in the ICW and outside . In addition, there are lots of oil rigs in that span, some aren't lit at night.. Not saying don't do it.. just do your homework carefully and the adventure will be a lot more fun! Seems like the jump from Corpus direct to the Keys or Dry Tortugas would be fine .. but if you look at the prevailing winds, you'd find that would be a long close hauled uncomfortable beat.. Travelling along the coast in daylight only will net you an average of around than 50 miles a day or a bit less.. so plan accordingly.. Keep us posted ! Sounds like fun!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Boat appears OK, at least for local work, but I'd be more concerned about the "competence" of a first-time boat owner and skipper from an inland area with little sailing experience making a rather long single-handed cruise to the Florida Keys and thence to the Bahamas. Encouragement of this kind of newbie plan always astonishes me.o_O I suppose living on the boat in Texas into the indefinite future and sailing it locally could eventually bring the necessary experience. Maybe the OP will acquire some local savvy along the way. However, he should likely also be prepared to spend $$$ to outfit the boat for this plan. No radar? Manual windlass--that's a pain? Separate starter battery or no? Bimini/spray dodger? etc.

Frankly, the OP should probably discover his true susceptibility to seasickness b/f launching this plan. Ever been to the Keys or to the Dry Tortugas? Please deeply contemplate the meaning of the remark from kloudie1: "Seems like the jump from Corpus direct to the Keys or Dry Tortugas would be fine .. but if you look at the prevailing winds, you'd find that would be a long close hauled uncomfortable beat..":puke::puke:

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Seems like the jump from Corpus direct to the Keys or Dry Tortugas would be fine
That's a long haul for that size boat. And, that puts you in the middle of the Gulf for days. A 31 footer doesn't have nearly the tankage and storage area of even a 35 footer. And being lighter it's better suited as a coastal cruiser. Better to cruise the coast I would think, restock, then jump off around Pensacola or further west and follow the off-shore beacons to Tarpon Springs/Clearwater. That's about two - three days straight through. From here you have the option of the ICW or outside near shore to continue to the Keys with the exception of crossing Fl. Bay. It's a very doable trip but I would think about having at least one other person aboard until you reach this area. You can always get them transportation back home. I've done 48 hours alone and after that much time without proper sleep you can start to hallucinate. Way too dangerous, especially for someone with limited off-shore experience. Just MHO. Keep us posted.

May 12, 2004
Frankly, the OP should probably discover his true susceptibility to seasickness b/f launching this plan.
How true! Take it from one who knows first hand. If you have never been seasick, well..... you feel like you're gonna die and hope you do, soon.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do not forget to factor in the effects of the "Loop Current". Before the Gulf Stream takes its name in the Atlantic the strong current coming from South America enters the Gulf of Mexico, curves and goes back out the Eastern Gulf paralleling the Florida peninsula. It can be strong and its presence should be gauged and considered when considering routes.

Mar 27, 2016
Hunter 31 Rockport, TX
No reason to call people out for their opinions. Everyone is different and I'm capable of making the right decision for me. The intent of my post was to hear the different options and then I can decide what best fits me and my experience level. I enjoy hearing from everyone.

Mar 27, 2016
Hunter 31 Rockport, TX
How true! Take it from one who knows first hand. If you have never been seasick, well..... you feel like you're gonna die and hope you do, soon.
PADI diver for over 40 years. This won't be my first rodeo.... just my first sailboat.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Given my limited experience and knowledge of the sea, how should I approach this?
Forgive, but this does not come across as someone with a 40-yr history of ocean diving and survivor of multiple "rodeos." One receives better advice the more that is known about his/her overall experience.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Photo-dude. Sailing the gulf is hugely different from sailing the lakes of Missouri or Lake Michigan or the rivers. You can start on a sunny morning and have a night mare squall for lunch. Being 50 miles from shore in shallow water and a storm is no fun.
I sail in deep water of the Pacific NW and I would not untie lines in Texas and sail to Florida single handed on a new to me boat as you suggest. For a skilled sailor with broad experience taking an unknown boat out onto waters without local knowledge is asking for extreme luck or fast dial to the Coast Guard and a prayer.

Give yourself a chance. Spend a year in Texas in the gulf water. Learn the weakneses of the boat in severe weather and find a friend to help you master the 40 hour sailing watches needed to sail 150 mile stretch.

Mar 27, 2016
Hunter 31 Rockport, TX
Forgive, but this does not come across as someone with a 40-yr history of ocean diving and survivor of multiple "rodeos." One receives better advice the more that is known about his/her overall experience.
You're putting words in my mouth. I said "40 year PADI diver" and not a 40 year history of ocean diving. That's 2 completely different things. The comment had to do with seasickness and not the ability to sail a boat across the gulf.

Mar 27, 2016
Hunter 31 Rockport, TX
Photo-dude. Sailing the gulf is hugely different from sailing the lakes of Missouri or Lake Michigan or the rivers. You can start on a sunny morning and have a night mare squall for lunch. Being 50 miles from shore in shallow water and a storm is no fun.
I sail in deep water of the Pacific NW and I would not untie lines in Texas and sail to Florida single handed on a new to me boat as you suggest. For a skilled sailor with broad experience taking an unknown boat out onto waters without local knowledge is asking for extreme luck or fast dial to the Coast Guard and a prayer.

Give yourself a chance. Spend a year in Texas in the gulf water. Learn the weakneses of the boat in severe weather and find a friend to help you master the 40 hour sailing watches needed to sail 150 mile stretch.
Sounds like good advice, although I'm not crazy about hanging around in the gulf for a year. Someone made the comment that "I don't know yet what I don't know" and that sunk in. I guess the gulf is a little different than Florida waters. I'll probably give it several months and find a suitable crew and head down later on. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You're putting words in my mouth. I said "40 year PADI diver" and not a 40 year history of ocean diving. That's 2 completely different things. The comment had to do with seasickness and not the ability to sail a boat across the gulf.
OK--you got me, I'm lost. Sorry for the inaccurate paraphrasing. I guess I don't what PADI divers do; I thought it was mainly ocean diving.

Last edited: