Tampa Bay launch site possibilities?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'd like to bring the Catalina 22 and go check out Fort Desoto, Egmont Key, etc. for a couple days. Can anyone recommend a place to launch, with safe parking for the truck and trailer?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Don't know if Ft Desoto Park allows overnight parking at the ramps. If they don't they will surely not have security available. Those ramps are very busy and keep the water churned don't recall them having a set up area to rig a sailboat and the waters are quite shallow. Check with some of the Marinas in the St. Petersburg side to see if they have a ramp and parking.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Don't know if Ft Desoto Park allows overnight parking at the ramps. If they don't they will surely not have security available. Those ramps are very busy and keep the water churned don't recall them having a set up area to rig a sailboat and the waters are quite shallow. Check with some of the Marinas in the St. Petersburg side to see if they have a ramp and parking.
Yeah, I don't know either about overnight parking at Ft DeSoto. Demens Landing in St. Petersburg is a nice one; plus, there's a lot of stuff to do in downtown St. Petersburg these days. You just have to make those 15 n.mi. to Egmont Key and then back. A long day if a day trip w/ time ashore; but not too bad for an over-nighter. The anchorage at Egmont can be uncomfortable in easterly winds, especially northeasterly (b/c they are usually stronger than east or southeast ones)--a direction from which the wind blows often during the fall, winter, and spring sailing season. Just remember that in FL the basic rule of thumb is that during the season the wind can blow from any direction at just about any strength (say up to 30 kt), at just about anytime. Plan accordingly!o_O

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
There's one close by at Ft. DeSoto Park. See below. Open 24 hr; I don't know about security.
https://public.myfwc.com/LE/boatram...ID=PI101005FD&Name=Fort+Desoto+Park+Boat+Ramp

The only ones I've used, which were fine, are at Gulfport and Demens Landing in St. Pete. But, those are about 10 and 15 n.mi. from your destination, respectively.
KG, when you mention Gulfport, are you referring to the Gulfport Municipal Marina? http://mygulfport.us/marina/ That one definitely looks promising!

Fifteen miles away is no problem. I saw the Ft. DeSoto ramp on Google Earth, and it looks fantastic, except no way to know if the wheels would still be on the truck when we got back to it. The parking at Demen's landing looks safer, but there does appear to be a lot less of it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Gene

Have you looked at Active Captain? I've had good luck finding launch sites using AC... you can read reviews and then email the marina for more info..

Sep 30, 2013
Gene

Have you looked at Active Captain? I've had good luck finding launch sites using AC... you can read reviews and then email the marina for more info..
Hmm ... I've had the opposite experience with AC, to the point I don't even bother with them anymore. Great resource once you're on the water, but in my experience there have been precious few trailer sailors there leaving info as far as ramps and parking.

Nevertheless, good point. I'll have another look. :thumbup:

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
Look at the West Coast Trailer Association. We launched from the Fort Desoto ramps which are now expanded with plenty of room to set up. We have stayed out several nights with no problems. We even slept one night in the parking lot on the boat with a motor problem. Water depths should not be a problem for you.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
Good anchorage in the bay off the camp store for overnight. I even motored to the store for some needed items there. There are several beach areas not part of the park on some of the other islands you can use but watch the tides.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hmm ...in my experience there have been precious few trailer sailors there leaving info as far as ramps and parking.

Nevertheless, good point. I'll have another look. :thumbup:
Yeah.... I guess I have not used it exactly like that. I use the reviews to get a sense of the place and the website to see if they have transient slips (cost?). Then I email the marina's dock master and tell them what I want to do and ask if they have a ramp and if so... are there overhead lines and parking. As a case in point.... when I go to Oriental NC, my favorite marina is a place called Whittaker Point. I found them on AC and the reviews were great. But they don't have a ramp and when I emailed them, they pointed me to the local public launch and offered me the use of their complimentary van. They also give me a complimentary parking spot for my truck and trailer... I've stayed there three times now... I love the place....and I launch at the public landing sail to their marina and a guy drives me back to pick up my car. Easy peasy...Other examples...I've launched out of Kilmarnoc, Annapolis, Swan Quarter, and Elizabeth City...etc. each times I found the marina on AC and then just emailed with questions about parking, launching and (don't forget) overhead lines :yikes:. So far, everyone has been real nice and have worked with me. On a few occasions, I've had dock masters get back to me and say they don't have a convenient launch site or there isn't a place to park etc. but I've always been able to find another nearby marina that will work with me.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Its been a while since I used the Ft. Desoto ramp but it has tons of room. If you arrive late, you can launch and anchor just off of it. There is a machine to pay for longer term parking. I don't think it has formal full time security, but I have noticed park rangers driving through and looking around. The camp ground has a lot going for it I think. If you have no pets, you can also camp on Shell Key, which is out on the north side of Bunce Pass. There is much shallow water around, but its deeper right along the sand at Shell Key. At the Desoto camp ground you can anchor on either side, but it is easier going, depth wise, on the inlet that leads up to the camp store.
Leave early in the morn when going to Egmont, because it is fun to walk around all day. When outbound in Bunce Pass stay to the right quite a ways and don't cheat the buoy turning south because there are shoals. When coming back from Egmont, and looking for Bunce Pass... it is sometimes hard to make out...because it is at a slight angle, and the sand along its bank visually blends in with the Gulf's beach sand. Just keep going North, while looking right and back, and all of a sudden the wide mouth of Bunce Pass will clearly present itself.
Many forego paying parking at the ramp, and instead get a camp spot in the camp ground. There is room to park your trailer at your spot, and clean hot showers with flushing toilets are always close. They do an excellent job of keeping the place tidy. Great small boat sailing area! Also try Cayo Costa camp ground to the south sometime. Enjoy!

Last edited: