Strange diesel behavior

Feb 10, 2013
Morgan 41 Key Largo
Here's a question for you diesel heads, A Yanmar diesel sputters and dies whenever put in forward gear, have checked all the obvious, ie; air filter, injectors, prop shaft, air in line, the easy stuff, now why does this diesel run smoothly and without sputtering when put in reverse? what am I missing? Help!!!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
This is a stretch, but is there any chance that you could have something tangled in your prop? The reverse gear ratio is lower so perhaps the engine can overcome the tangle in reverse but stalls at the higher ration in forward?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, check that the shaft and prop are running freely. Try turning the shaft by hand in both directions, if it does not check the prop and cutlass bearing. If it does turn freely then check the gearbox; make sure the linkage is properly adjusted for fully engaging forward gear.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
GoPro on a stick. Only issue is the image will be upside down.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Had a somewhat similar problem with my Yanmar, it ended up being a blocked air vent to the fuel tank.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks UncleDom, It took me a while, but I did figure it out. Had me doing some contortionist moves trying to flip the iPhone fast and imagine I was flying upside down before I stopped and read the manual. Got a workout, but my head was sore.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think Rich has it.. A too low idle speed .. then the engine can tolerate the extra load because of the lower (numerically higher) gear ratio.. but in forward, it dies. Check fuel filters (not mentioned) and set the idle speed with a photo tachometer.