Stop thinking ... Start doing

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
you can second guess it all day long-- best way to finish is to start already: turns out my "patch" revealed an interesting fact-- the cockpit sole is a sandwich of resin and two thin sheets of ply. I was intending on sanding back to good wood-- but clearly not going to find much of a solid platform. So out the floor comes tomorrow.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I feel you, bro. This was mine last year. :(

Ahhh that brings back fond memories of my first serious fiberglass repair work. I put in a sheet of 1 inch balsa.
My biggest mistake was spending toooooo much time fairing the new surface and then covering it all with awlgrip that pretty much hid any cosmetic flaws anyway!

Good times!

Jul 13, 2015
Yep -- that's wrecked-- amazing how well they've done considering the mileage. Thanks for the motivation!

Jul 13, 2015
Certainly will-- I pickup lumber tomorrow and have the step /keel winch mount cut and ready for resin. Found a nice piece of 1" solid maple to replace the rotted step.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Wow that's beautiful. Is that the same boat in all the pics? Was that new gelcoat or just cockpit sanding?

Aug 22, 2011
Thank you, it was a lot of work - along with all of the other cores I have had to replace. I am at this moment redoing a wet side deck AGAIN due to my lack of skills the first time but I have learned a lot since then. Someday I might actually get some paint on our really ugly hull.

BTW - its all paint and kiwi grip; the gelcoat is just too far gone to bring back so we are painting everything. At a snails pace....

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I like it. I've seen some impressive results from just sanding gelcoat, but this looks great. You must know a thing or two about painting. Btw - I always loved your show.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Topcat...beautiful work...question in your last pic...is that a locker aft between the lazerettes...fuel locker perhaps? sorry not familiar with the V224....stock or something you added?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I have to say, "stop thinking and start doing" is something my PO did. He should have stop doing and did some thinking first on some of his projects ;)

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
great repair topcat! I have been thier with my c25.The keel bed was rotted out I used a air chisel and a die grinder to clear all the rotted wood. The algrip is a nice touch.How do you aply it? Does it hold up well?

Aug 22, 2011
rpludwig: Ummm. I we always call that hatch THE laz.... but its stock and opens into the entire inside of the boat. We keep our fuel tank on a small swim platform hanging off the right side of the stern.

little breeze: I mis-spoke in one of my earlier posts - the blue non-skid is KIWI grip which I have found to be quite tough and is applied with a special roller supplied with the product.

Thanks folks for the well wishes. Its raining out right now and I just went and sat in the cabin and just watched for a while and have discovered 5 places I have to stop drips coming in from - again. grrrr