Stepping the mast on a Mac 25

Sep 8, 2016
Macgregor 25 Chattanooga
Just bought this boat - it came with a box of miscellaneous items, but no bolt for stepping the mast. This raises a couple of questions. First, what size bolt is recommended, and should it be stainless steel? Second, there are two bolt holes in the base of the mast. Am I correct is assuming that the bottom hole is the correct one to use when stepping the mast? Third, once the mast is up, should a second bolt be placed through the upper hole and the slot in the step?

Thanks for this and any other info that might be helpful

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I'd recommend 3/8" stainless. I use an eyebolt to give one more tie point. Not sure about the two holes.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Am I correct is assuming that the bottom hole is the correct one to use when stepping the mast?
The bottom hole in the mast receives the bolt. The bolt passes through the vertical slot in the tabernacle.
image.jpeg
Third, once the mast is up, should a second bolt be placed through the upper hole and the slot in the step?
No. Just the one bolt is all that's needed.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I have a funky tapered pin that came with mine. Looks to be original. It has a hole in it for a ring or cotter pin. I use a large stainless safety pin to hold the washer against the tabernacle. Stock. As with anything that is critical I would drill a hole through the nut and bolt so you can put a safety pin or ring through it. I've seen lock nuts move under stress and that is one I would not want to un-thread while under way. Just a precaution. I carry a 3/8 stainless bolt and nut as a back up. The slot on the tabernacle seems to work great for allowing the mast to drop into place. At some point I would like to make a plate for the bottom of the mast so it can hinge on the tabernacle. I still hoist the mast up by hand every time I set up the boat. Which is every time I go out. I'll get around to a mast raising system one of these days.
Ken B
CMDRE - NETS

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
You have a dang strong back and set of arms ken, maybe i could raise mine by hand but not sure my body would allow it more than once!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
P1040692.jpg

I always assumed that the hinged mast base was OEM on my 82'?? sure works well, and has provision for the gin pole also. I can not imagine raising each time without the pole, as it makes my back hurt just thinking about it. ;)

Feb 20, 2011
I always assumed that the hinged mast base was OEM on my 82'??
I don't think so.
How is the center/spreader area of your mast supported when trailering? Does the pivoting piece have something to capture the mast there to prevent fore/aft motion and flexing?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I don't think so.
How is the center/spreader area of your mast supported when trailering? Does the pivoting piece have something to capture the mast there to prevent fore/aft motion and flexing?
The support is in place in the photo, which was taken with the boat in it's boat-port (mast down). the support is just a piece of white plastic sewer drain pipe with a notch cut in the top to match the mast curvature.

Feb 20, 2011
The support is in place in the photo
I should have noticed that. :doh:
One thing I like about the old style tabernacle is that a second set of holes is provided, and a bolt passes through them and the mast near the spreaders for towing. Provides excellent security in case of a sudden stop.

Deal1.jpg

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I should have noticed that. :doh:
One thing I like about the old style tabernacle is that a second set of holes is provided, and a bolt passes through them and the mast near the spreaders for towing. Provides excellent security in case of a sudden stop.
Thank God for HD bungie cords (not shown) and close fitting mast crutches, front and back ;) .

P1030075.jpg

May 16, 2011
How do you guys do your stern crutch? I have been experimenting with different options. I trailer with the engine and rudder on and in place. Less to set up at the ramp. There were no provisions on the boat for supporting the mast.And no stern rail. Still looking for one of those.
I bolted a pvc tube to the transom on the inside and slide a smaller tube through it and slide a bolt through. The smaller tube has a crutch at the top for supporting. Works good but is beating up the transom. I tried aluminum conduit with w/coupling bolted to the rudder but motion snapped the tube. Bad idea. The main reason was to be able steer the boat while the mast was down and supported. The tiller hits the support when on the transom. Drawing board this spring.
Ken B
CMDRE - NETS
20160616_185658.jpg

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
How do you guys do your stern crutch?
the original crutch set up on mine was a single piece of 1x3 teak with a v notch in the top of it.
there were 2 brackets mounted inside the transom to slide the board... see the top bracket above the fuel tank in the photo, and the lower bracket is behind the fuel tank.
the brackets were positioned off center with the crutch was at a slight angle so that the mast would lay down the centerline of the boat, then the tiller could still be used for motoring with the mast was stowed
(when trailering, I think most of us have the rudder off)....

I have changed it all different now and these are the best photos I have of the original crutch set up as it was delivered to the first owner of the boat.... i wish I would have documented it better.
the mac 21 had a similar crutch system, but instead of a single leg crutch, it had two legs, bolted together with a single bolt to make an X... the v at the top of the x held the mast, and the legs stuck into bracket mounted inside the transom. the tiller was captive between the legs of the crutch, or it was way off center, so it was unusable if desired for steerage with the crutch in place..
2012-10-04_12-40-45_333.jpg
2012-08-19_15-50-45_867.jpg
2012-10-04_12-42-44_110.jpg

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Just bought this boat - it came with a box of miscellaneous items, but no bolt for stepping the mast. This raises a couple of questions. First, what size bolt is recommended, and should it be stainless steel? Second, there are two bolt holes in the base of the mast. Am I correct is assuming that the bottom hole is the correct one to use when stepping the mast? Third, once the mast is up, should a second bolt be placed through the upper hole and the slot in the step?

Thanks for this and any other info that might be helpful
the bolt should be a stainless steel 3/8x5 with nyloc nut....
about the 2 holes in the bottom of the mast, we dont know what someone may have done because originally only one hole was there...
if someone has shaved or cut off the bottom of the mast for some reason, that could be the reason for 2 holes, but the original hole would have been drilled thru the mast so it would be at the bottom of the tabernacle slot when the mast was seated in it... this slot will then allow the bolt to have enough slack to move upwards so it doesnt damage the poptop/sliding hatch as the mast lays down in the crutch.

the bolt should never be tightened, but always remain slightly loose in the slot so the mast can move as necessary without twisting or pulling on the tabernacle..... and even though you have two holes in the foot of the mast, NEVER put two bolts into it. that is only setting yourself up for severe damage to the coachroof should you forget, AND YOU WILL, but only 1 time;).....

May 16, 2011
the original crutch set up on mine was a single piece of 1x3 teak with a v notch in the top of it.
there were 2 brackets mounted inside the transom to slide the board... see the top bracket above the fuel tank in the photo, and the lower bracket is behind the fuel tank.
the brackets were positioned off center with the crutch was at a slight angle so that the mast would lay down the centerline of the boat, then the tiller could still be used for motoring with the mast was stowed
(when trailering, I think most of us have the rudder off)....

I have changed it all different now and these are the best photos I have of the original crutch set up as it was delivered to the first owner of the boat.... i wish I would have documented it better.
the mac 21 had a similar crutch system, but instead of a single leg crutch, it had two legs, bolted together with a single bolt to make an X... the v at the top of the x held the mast, and the legs stuck into bracket mounted inside the transom. the tiller was captive between the legs of the crutch, or it was way off center, so it was unusable if desired for steerage with the crutch in place..View attachment 131862 View attachment 131863 View attachment 131864
I've seen the factory set up like that. None on my boat however. Not sure what the factory had planned. My set up works but puts too much stress on the fiberglass. And the tiller will hit. Found out the hard way launching at night in Fairhaven. Forgot the crutch and ran aground within five minutes of launch. Under full sail. I could't turn. Hahahah! Quick thinking of my first mate Gracie unscrewing the bolt got us back on track. I tried a new set up last year but the materilas were too soft. Aluminum. It flexes then breaks. 1" aluminum conduit. Two pieces and a coupling to secure the two together. I mounted the bottom section to the tiller. I drill holes in the coupling for a pin to prevent unscrewing. Just too flimsy. The stren rail is key. I need one.
Ken B
CMDRE - NETS

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I'd see if you can find a stainless steel pin, rather than use a bolt with a nut. That is what my boat uses. Spring clip holds it in place. No chance of having the bolt back out or needing a wrench to remove it. Google the term "3/8 Hitch Pin". That will give you plenty of options to choose from.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
How do you guys do your stern crutch? I have been experimenting with different options. I trailer with the engine and rudder on and in place. Less to set up at the ramp. There were no provisions on the boat for supporting the mast.And no stern rail. Still looking for one of those.
It only takes a minute to remove the rudder and slip on a proper crutch. well worth it IMHO. On my 25 the rudder will drag the pavement in the down position, so removing it is cheep insurance against accidentally having it drop in transit as well. I couldn't find a good photo, but the crutch on mine is a simple 1 1/8" square steel tubing with a roller, mounted in a fork, up topside. I know I was surprised to find the amount of stress on a similar support when trailering, wile building one for my other boat. I reinforced that one twice before it was solid enough to not bend during ordinary transport duties.

P1040102.jpg

May 16, 2011
My concern is I want to be able to drop the mast and support it while underway. That would aid greatly in launches that require clearing a fixed bridge in order to get to open water. Or bridges in general for that fact. We have lots of waterways here in New England that require getting under bridges. A mast raising system and support that allows being able to be able steer is my goal.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
My concern is I want to be able to drop the mast and support it while underway.
All you need to do that is a cleat on your raising system. Drop the mast to a 45 degree angle or what ever is required to fit under the bridge and cleat your raising line.