Standard elbow or Highrise?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm in a quandary. I ordered a stainless steel standard (low style) mixing elbow before I actually looked to see what my Hunter has. The site says this one "replaces the 3-piece elbow". It turns out I have what Yanmar calls in the service manual the optional (3 piece) high rise elbow. It gives quite a bit more lift over the standard one.
The engine exhaust is above the waterline and there is a muffler in the line, but I'm concerned that Hunter put high rise elbows in all of these boats and it is not optional per se.
I can't decide whether to install this elbow or try to return or re-sell it and get a new high rise version like my old one somewhere.
Common sense would say return and get the other. The SS elbow maker/owner says he has sold many and no one has reported any problems. He suggested I poll the forum and see what other sailors say. Am I overthinking this or should a assume Hunter installed these high rise elbows for a reason. Assuming all H30Ts have them and it truly was not an option.
I wanted to make this a survey but that option never showed up.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
That exhaust outlet will not work unless you cut a hole in engine cover and had exhaust exiting into aft cabin. The u style mix elbow goes up then huggs block to squeeze down back engine cover under floor and out. Also engine barely above water line

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The 'standard' SS elbow takes a hard inboard turn so fitment isn't a problem. I almost think the hose will bend enough to match up. I am concerned about the height above the waterline though.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Justin, you can use the short outlet if: you have a vented loop in the water line from the exchanger to the exhaust pipe. The loop must be always above the waterline, even when heeled. You must also have a high loop not vented in the exhaust hose after the muffler. If ya have those, the low outlet pipe will be ok

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Claude. My setup has what you describe. I may install the new elbow. It sure looks pretty. ;)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My uneducated guess would be that Hunter ordered the engines and Yanmar sent them. Hunter installed what they got in whatever way it took. Or, maybe Hunter ordered the fittings that way? Whatever... you do what you gotta do.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O'Day 322 322 has a small engine compartment, and my 2GM20F Yanmar has the U shaped elbow. And it rests up against the frame for the engine cabinet. No way I could anything but the U-shaped mixing elbow in there.

Not sure about the waterline issue. But since I can't fit anything else in the engine compartment, I am not going to worry about it.

Greg

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
call yan mar and hunter. there's a reason why they had high rise specified. you really don't want to risk a water back flow thru your exhaust into your exhaust valves to save a couple hundred bucks on the wrong exhaust el.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My thought is if you can fit the high U elbow, do it. My friend repowered his Maxi99 with a Yanmar 3YM30 that came with straight SS mixing elbow. He also bought a high U elbow but didn't install it as he thought the exhaust system with the "volume tank" would suffice. Within two years he had to rebuild the engine due to seawater backflow into cylinder head.
His exhaust outlet was above waterline by the way. Be safe than sorry.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
I Just cleaned my old manifold with a wire brush on battery drill the one like plumbing use then wet vac dust then painted with high temp paint clogging occur where water mix with hot exhaust

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've read where people clean and reinstall them. From what I learned, these are considered consumable items as they rust out from the inside. Articles say cleaning is prolonging the inevitable unless it has been done often over the life of the parts. I have no history on my diesel. New elbow parts are trivial to me compared to other boat projects.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Distinguish between a manifold ($1800 for a Yanmar 3QM) and a mixing elbow ($270).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Distinguish between a manifold ($1800 for a Yanmar 3QM) and a mixing elbow ($270).
If this is in regards to the comment between whatfiero and myself, we have the same boat and 2GM20F. That's what the thread is about anyway.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I Just cleaned my old manifold with a wire brush on battery drill the one like plumbing use then wet vac dust then painted with high temp paint clogging occur where water mix with hot exhaust
I'll probably just clean and paint my manifold also. Unless it won't separate from the threaded coupling.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Ken, did you reuse your old manifold or did you replace it too?
I didn't realise the whole SS set could be bought. So had reused the old exhaust elbow (manifold?). The U Mixing elbow and Joint are new SS.