Stanchion grommet/sleeve

Sep 11, 2010
Hunter 23 Hudson
On our 23, the eyelets of the stanchions seem to be missing a protective grommet or sleeve. Where the lifelines run through the hole, they show considerable wear- almost down to the stainless wire. Any suggestions to solve this problem? Thanks!

Sep 11, 2010
Hunter 23 Hudson
Thanks for the idea! I've used plasti dip for other things. I think initially it would do well, but with any tension on the lifelines it would begin tear away. The hollow edges of the hole, where the lifelines pass, cut into the plastic sheathing. I'm thinking a nylon or hard plastic grommet. Please keep ideas coming, or suggestions where I could find eyelets or grommets.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Im pretty sure stanchions dont have any grommet or sleeve. Not that it isnt a good idea. But, I think the standard practice is to just replace the life lines.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have the same issue with my 23, and it did come with black plastic or nylon grommets. Most appear to have broken and fallen away. I replaced one lifeline, which came with grommets, but the outside diam is to large to fit through the hole in the stanchion. Bottom line, I am still looking for a solution.
One idea I had is to buy some of the stiff plastic tubing you can get at a big box, or maybe the clear tubing that is a bit softer, cut it into 1 inch or so pieces, slit it and slide over the wire through the stanchion. I keep forgetting to measure the OD of the wire. Of course, I don't know if tubing that has the right inner diam, and the right wall thickness to slip into the hole, is available.
If anyone knows a source of these grommets, let us know.
Peter

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Mine has a SS tube thru the hole and flaired on both entry and exit. Came from the factory like that.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Beat me to the punch. This is an excerpt from a 2004 thread:

"...I also made another modification as suggested by my rail shop. They loved the factory stanchions. (they're tapered) But the lower wire passed through a plastic grommet that was installed to prevent chafe BECAUSE the factory just drilled a hole. Quick and dirty, right? My shop removed the grommets and welded in a stainless sleeve to give the effect of a solid bar instead of a hollow rod. It looks kinda cool too. And it's better looking than the plastic grommet. And the lower wire is now the same large size as the top wire...."

This is the thread:
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...1-lifelines.56484/&highlight=stanchion sleeve

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am not sure if they were black or white but a photo of one might help if anyone has one of the originals. I might know where to go if someone will supply a photo so I can be sure.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Don't bother with bushing, they crack fall out and are an endless source of minor frustration.

Stanchions built to a price only drill the holes and call it a day. High quality stanchions drill the hole and weld in a ferrule that protects the lifeline. It is not necessary to throw out your stanchions for newer ones, contact White Water Marine an talk to them. For short money they will weld in ferrules on your existing stations. They also make new stanchions and have been the supplier for many boat builders so they may have the drawings in house. I've used them to replace bent stanchions and to weld in ferrules. Oh, and get rid of the vinyl covered life lines especially if you are in salt water.