Spinnaker Anchor Roller (attach point) 40.5

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Hi All

Just acquired an asymmetrical for my '93 40.5. I have the tack line set up at the anchor roller, running aft to the cockpit. I assume the anchor roller is strong enough to accommodate the tack line.

There is an reinforced anchor point on the bow, maybe a foot below the roller. I have seen that on many boats, it is used to connect the roller and anchor point.

Is this something that is recommended or that you have done on your 40.5; if so what did you use?

Many thanks
Frederick

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Fredrick, I have seen several 40.5's rigged as you suggest, using the bow roller as the tack point. It's probably OK for casual use. However, a neighbor and friend took his from SoCal to Australia. In the 22 day crossing to the Marquesas, in which he flew the ASM the majority of the time, he found the upward pull was causing there to be too much upward flex in what was, after all, engineered for a downward pull. So, he ran a jack stay down to the bow eye with a tensioner using hi-tech line as an interim fix. He didn't have a chance to try it for long since a whale snagged the anchor and in doing so, tore off the A-sail rig. Bottom line, I'd engineer at some point a jack stay. I have another friend with a Hanse who rigged his the same as what you suggest. His rigger also rigged a jack stay to stabilize the anchor roller. Have fun!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
So, he ran a jack stay down to the bow eye with a tensioner using hi-tech line as an interim fix.
Bobstay? Yes, good remedy.
And OP, don't run the spinnaker if your headsail can be filled.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Thanks so much all for the quick replies. Confirm what I thought. Better safe than sorry. Will post pics when you go flyin'