Solar vents

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
The solar vent in the head finally died this fall. Any suggestions for a replacement? I looked into repairing but it seems like buying new would cost nearly the same.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Several threads here on this topic. IIRC, the consensus is that the older units are higher quality, so it may be best to repair it.

Do a search on solar vents.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I am switching over to Beckson Vent-O-Mates, passive non solar vents. The solar vents are too expensive and prone to failure. Until someone makes a reliable and affordable model I am abandoning this technology.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
West has been having vents on sale on holidays, so maybe Presidents or Memorial Weekends? $99.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sadly these are disposables. Cheap motors,weak batteries, and less than marine electrical designed connections that corrode. Expensive disposables.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
How about hard wired ones?

I don't like the idea of ANY added complexity in my electrical system, but still. It might come to that or Beckson plates where my two solar vents used to be.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I agree that the newer ones are less durable than the older. Having said that, it makes such a difference in my cabin that I consider it simply a consumable item that requires replacement every couple of years.

Oct 22, 2014
Well said Rick. I have a Solar Nico in the main cabin. It has not worked since I got the boat. It is on the list of things that need attention, but admittedly lower down in the when I get free time I'll look into it category.

My inclination is to look at a computer fan as a replacement for the one in the unit. It is a considerable hole in the overhead so at some point it deserves attention. For now, I fold a screen over the companionway and hide the hatch boards under the cushions.

Feb 24, 2013
Coronado C25 San Pedro, CA
I like the idea of a computer fan as they are cheap and universal, it could be mounted in a dorade box and hardwired in. If you have a solar system there will be no problems.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
I put a drop of Teflon base lubricant (like BreakFree) on the motor shaft every couple of years. Mine is still going strong after 15 years. Might be too late to save yours.

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
I agree that the newer ones are less durable than the older. Having said that, it makes such a difference in my cabin that I consider it simply a consumable item that requires replacement every couple of years.
Although I like the simplicity and cost of the Vent O Mate, I tend to agree with the function of a solar...12 seasons + out of a $160.00 unit is pretty reasonable when it comes to a sailors "budget" if there is such a thing.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Several years ago I installed a new day/night solar vent. The motor sized in about 3 months. I took it completely apart and cleaned and lubricated the motor. It lasted about 3 months and I had to do it again. I didn't bother fixing again.

I really like solar but not the newer solar vents, the motors just are not made well.

Oct 22, 2014
lubricated the motor
I have been using "Corrosion Block" for the past 6 months to lubricate and protect things on my boat. I used it at home to deal with a gate latch that had become stiff and difficult to operate after 2 years of corrosion build up.
upload_2017-1-22_16-39-3.png I sprayed the latch with Corrosion Block and it has become like new and no more corrosion.
I think it might be a useful product on these motors.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The Beckson Vent-O-Mate are fantastic, don't leak, exhaust well, and last nearly forever....esp. with the stainless model..
I'm about to buy one or two for the O'Day. Pat