So, lets talk anchors

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The difficulty retrieving a danforth-style anchor (fortress/guardian), or one of the new deep-setting anchors should be a consideration when sizing your windlass. I see A LOT of undersized windlasses on boats, most of them OEM. Many times my 66# Manson Supreme can be a bear to pull out of the bottom, but if I get over top of it my Lewmar H3 and its 1-ton pull can lever the shank vertical and extract the anchor. I have seen it buried up to the shackle-eye. Love that anchor, love that windlass

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
I use a trip line if that's what you want to call it. 1/2" three strand polypropylene with a lobster pot float and all yellow. This serves 2 purposes. To let others know of your anchor's location and to be able to pull the anchor backwards from what was binding it. Trinity bay has a lot of oil patch debris which has not been cleaned up. Foul on a pipe or cable and you have a potential problem. To be able to slide the anchor backward can free it from what has it lodged. I have two sections of trip line based on anchor depth.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I hear you brother, but heads up, you just ignited the "anchor trip line" controversy discussion :biggrin: This thread is headed for 10 pages!

Oct 13, 2013
Let's go for it. While we're at it. Let's add 8 plait nylon rode vs 3 strand nylon rode. 8 plait has higher tensile and takes up half the space in a locker. Goes around the gypsy better as well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
one of the new deep-setting anchors should be a consideration when sizing your windlass.
Gunni
I understand that you do not break your anchor free using the windlass. Rather your move towards the anchor retrieving rode with the windlass as you move forward. When over the anchor your secure the rode and break the anchor free with the boats motion. At least that is how I learned the procedure.

Yet I do understand that many boaters use the windlass to break free their anchor. And that some learn the folly of this method when the windlass fails.
John

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
John, absolutely...cup of joe, free the halyard, stow the bath towels, wait for the anchor to lift. What is plan B if you have glassy conditions or need to bug-out fast? Motor forward and drag chain down your hull? You need a strong windlass sized to the anchor.

The windlass gypsy should have a clutch and that protects the windlass. But if you have a windlass that craps out at 400 lbs on an anchor capable of staying buried at 1000 lbs you are going to have a long, difficult departure.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have buried my Mantus 65 very well with 50k thunderstorms. I have a manual windlass and I do not generate 400lbs of pull! I have never had a problem pulling it out with the engine. I do have a pulpit so chain scraping the hull is almost zero when retrieving. And I have a chain hook just forward of the windlass so no need to stress the windlass under severe load.

Jan 22, 2008
Gulf 29 Little Current, ON
+1 Manson Supreme. I've seen many instances of Danforth anchors dragging in the weed/grass bottoms of Lake Huron's North Channel. Danforths are great in sand, but too often get a clump of mud and grass between the shank and flukes and let go in grassy/weedy bottoms. We've had only good experiences with the Manson Supreme (and the Bulwagga anchor).

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Gettinthere; Imagine your joy when you finally figure out how to pull those electric windlass cables forward and have that remote control in one hand and a fine Dominican cigar in the other! Mother smiling from the cockpit, sun shining on your face, and the steady clank of chain stripping off the gypsy at your feet! Your thoughts roam to how tough times used to be.:)

Oct 13, 2013
Sounds great Gunni. Better to loose the clutch and let it freewheel. Easier on the windless. That way you have another hand for fine sipping rum.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Taking all the fun out of it. What will I have left to curse? Oh yea, the short circuited windlass that leaves me hand cranking!!!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Let MaineSail do the install and that windlass will be as reliable as the sunrise! You can always curse the fates, the vagaries of the wind, and of course that stupid outboard which will not start!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I'd put dollars to donuts it happened when he was anchored, or trying to extricate his anchor.
But of course, you could be right. Perhaps he got out a honking BIG wrench and bent it as a discussion piece. Or dropped in on concrete from 200 feet?
Or he could have gotten the tip caught in a reef or rock and tried to free it with the motor or just the tip caught on a reef when setting and he backed it down too hard. He could have gotten it stuck on a dock while attempting to leave. Lots of different things could have happened. No anchor is unbendable.