Smarter than I thought...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I did something yesterday I'm quite proud of. @Crazy Dave Condon and I put my boom with sail attached in the cabin of my H260. It's now in my backyard at home for lots of work. My wife was planning to help take the boom out but time was growing short with weather approaching and a life event coming up that will keep me from lifting for a while. So I figured I could use the main sheet to help.
The main sheet is extra long so I was able to attach the boom end of the sheet to a line securing the mast to crutch towards the back of the boat. I attached the cam cleat end of the sheet to the mast end of the boom which was way forward in the cabin and too heavy for me to deal with. The main sheet pulled the boom up and out while I guided the aft end through the companionway. Once out, I was able to lower the entire boom to the ground while slowly letting the sheet out. Worked like a charm.
I hate that I didn't think to take pictures until it was all done. I didn't even think to tell y'all about this until it was all done, either. I do hope this will help someone else figure creative ways to use the tools we already have. And huge thanks to Dave for being such a great friend.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Welcome to getting old... a preview. You will find yourself coming up with many back/body saving strategies as you age and have more physical issues.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Welcome to getting old... a preview. You will find yourself coming up with many back/body saving strategies as you age and have more physical issues.
Yep, you're right. I woke up this morning thinking about all the other heavy things I can lift through the companionway with the main sheet. Batteries come to mind first.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Well it aint gonna be snow shoveling or plowing which I will do later today but oh the snow is pretty. Anyone in for a snowball fight? Kermit you are out of that fun stuff of snow balling today.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
We always store our main on the boom. Haven't thought about using the main halyard to lift it out of the cabin if needed. Good thought.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
We always store our main on the boom. Haven't thought about using the main halyard to lift it out of the cabin if needed. Good thought.
I'm glad my post could help. In all honesty, now that the boat is at home I'm thinking of other things I might use the halyard for around the house. And there's probably other boat equipment I could, too. Oh, I did bring the alcohol stove and percolator home during hurricane Matthew. Came in quite handy.