Simple Beneteau 473 electrical diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau 473 Rock Hall, MD
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Beneteau 473. I'm looking to create a simple electircal schematic. I've been searching this forum and have seen many of these type drawings for other Beneteau boats. I will likely need to trace this out on my own but thought I would check once here to see if anyone has done one already. I've had the boat almost 2 full seasons now and it is time to get a more in depth understanding of the systems. In the Navy we used these simple drawings to help us run the plant (I can still draw the schematic for an S5W power plant). Unfortuantely Beneteau does not supply these in the owners manual.

My system is a bit different from most of the systems I have seen here. It is a "stock" set up meaning that this is the system that was commissioned with the boat and neither myself nor the previous owner have made changes. I'm not looking to make changes. Just want to understand how it is put together.

I have 5 battery switches. One is the negative (Black Switch). First red switch is the Group 27 diesel start, second red is the house bank (4 6 volt US battery deep cycles), the third is the inverter battery (2 6 volt US battery deep cycle), and the fourth is the Genset start Group 27.

I have a Freedom 20 charger / inverter and a link 1000 controller. And use the echo charge function. Temp compensation also used. 2 30 amp shore power in with 2 AC panels (manual transfer switch), 1 DC panel and a Westerbeke Genset. 80 Amp alternator on diesel.

Again, I have not seen this set up referred to here but it is the "stock" so hoping someone has done the diagram or at least has some potential insights that might help me trace this out more accurately (and quickly).

Jun 29, 2010
Some additional information. I did a quick search in the parts section of the Beneteau website and found this drawing. It shows my set up without the genset battery.

If I'm reading this right my diesel start battery is paralleled with the house batteries. So if I'm running a charge should I turn off the start battery switch so that the echo charger is all that is charging this battery. I looks like here that the echo charger attaches on the battery side of the switch.

Also the inverter switch is not how I imagined it. It looks like I really have 3 house batteries in parallel and that the inverter switchs just controls if the current flows from the battery charger or back to the inverter. Also if I'm seeing this correctly to charge I could "shut" the inverter switch to charge and the house switch could be "open" or "closed" and still get charge to the batteries (although no DC would be available for the house loads).

I also assume that since there is only on set of DC cables that when I am charging the current flows from those cables to the batteries and when I am using the inverter the DC current flows from the batteries through this cable to the charger / inverter. I'm still new to this so trying to learn

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I trust you are not using the inverter to charge the batteries?

Jun 29, 2010
I don't think so! But this is not at all what I thought this looked like. For my charges I close all the switches so all batteries are online and then use the shorepower, generator, or alternator to charge.

The previous owner never opened any of the switches. He always left them paralleled. When I'm done charging I open the diesel start and genset start switches and keep them as my reserves. I can start the diesel on the house batteries with diesel battery off line. But I think I can't start the genset with the house. It needs to have the genset battery connected.

Ron, was I correct on the dc cables that run from the inverter / charger to the batteries. I assume that since they are the only cables running from the charger that they are the ones carrying the charging current? Do they also carry back DC current from the inverter as well? Trying to learn this system.

Jun 29, 2010
Thanks joker. I have a Freedom 20 so I don't have dual out /dual in. I believe the way it works is that when the freedom / link sense AC in on the curcuit it cuts the inverter off (as per page 4). So I assume that allows the charger to use the source power to charge the batteries through the DC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.