Sarasota Fla to Chesapeake Bay

Jul 5, 2005
Irwin Citation Kilmarnock Virginia
what is the shortest route from Sarasota Fla. to the Rappanock river on the Chesapeake?
If possible I would like to know the difference in going ICW or Ocean.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If you are going to do this trip yourself, you probably should answer the question for yourself. Load OpenCPN onto a computer (it's free) and look at all your options. It's a great trip planning tool that can be used in the comfort of your living room.

Also, it's a tough question to answer. If you are offshore, weather can affect your routing if you are caught in something. As for basic routing, you can go around the Keys, or go through the Okeechobee waterway to cut through the center of the Florida landmass. Once on the Atlantic coast, ICW is likely slower and longer distance, but protected from weather (and the effects of Matthew are likely still being sorted out). Offshore is easier in some ways, much harder in others. Lots to think about, and it's not all about distances.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
There are a few shorter routes with out going to Key west depending on draft and mast height ,when we travel and if weather is all good for sailing yes way better going out side for sure but only if the weather permits safe travel.
When I went from NY to Fl we did 90% offshore but when wind was 30 mph we went inside when we could find safe inlet.
Nick

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Two things we need to know, first.
1. Height of mast
2. Draft
That will help determine inside/outside routes.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
The real question is whether you want to motor a lot (ICW) or sail a lot (ocean). Time of year is also an important consideration.

Jul 5, 2005
Thank you all for the quick response to my question and advice for what to do.
Roland5048, in response to 1. Max Bridge clearance is stated at 68.5 ft. and 2. Draft is 5.5 feet
looking forward to more input.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
An overnight would get you into Key West then you just watch your weather windows to work up the keys to Miami with stops in protected anchorages. It isn't the distance so much as the time you can make. Between the Florida bridges and slow pace of the ICW you would make better time offshore if the weather cooperates. I stay out unless the weather says no. And there are places where 69 feet clearance would be a challenge. That 5.5 feet means scrupulous attention to nav aids in the ICW.

Jul 5, 2005
Given the distance from Miami or Fort Lauderdale area to the Chesapeake Bay it looks to be a 7 to 9 day trip going outside, does that sound in the ball park?

Jul 5, 2005
what is the shortest route from Sarasota Fla. to the Rappahannock river on the Chesapeake Bay?
If possible I would like to know the difference in going ICW or Ocean. 68.5 is mast height and 5.5 is draft.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
1. Max Bridge clearance is stated at 68.5 ft. and 2. Draft is 5.5 feet
Like Gunni stated, 68.5 ft is going to limit your inside route as far as fixed bridges go and your 5.5 ft draft is going to limit your ICW route. From Sarasota to Key West should be about 30-35 hours or so. It's usually a milk run but you have to make sure you are well off shore as you pass Romano Shoals. From KW to Miami you may be able to transit Hawk Channel but a safer route would be outside the reef with that depth if you are unfamiliar with the channel. You DO NOT want to hit a coral head. You can also take advantage of the Gulf Stream that runs through the Fl. Straits. You won't be able to go in at Miami to get to the ICW but will have to sail up to Ft. Lauderdale. From there to Daytona or St. Augustine you will encounter almost forty bridges. Pick a favorable wind, if you can, and stay on the outside. Others with knowledge of the waters from J'ville north will chime in, I'm sure. Also, check some of the local marinas. There may be a flotilla forming to make the passage. Especially after the winter. Being in company makes the trip more enjoyable and safer.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Claugerbaum, it's not usually effective to start a second thread on a given topic in a different subforum. I think you will find it dilutes your responses, and you have to check two different places to read your answers.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Given the distance from Miami or Fort Lauderdale area to the Chesapeake Bay it looks to be a 7 to 9 day trip going outside, does that sound in the ball park?
That is an ambitious time-frame, possible if the weather cooperates, you keep a steady drum beat and there are no problems with the old girl. I would call it two weeks and see if you can't show up early.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
To answer your question it is imperative to have a reliable measurement of the boat's mast height + antennas. You have not indicated in what make of boat you are intending to do the trip. The reason I ask is that there is no vessel in the Irwin Citation models being restricted by a 68' Air Draft. The Irving 41' Citation sports a reported mast height of 58.25' which should adequately get under the Seven Mile Bridge at Marathon. Irrespective of the boat you may be traveling on make an effort to ascertain the actual air draft of the vessel and not rely on spec sheets found online. No better source than an actual measurement.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
what is the shortest route from Sarasota Fla. to the Rappahannock river on the Chesapeake Bay?
If possible I would like to know the difference in going ICW or Ocean. 68.5 is mast height and 5.5 is draft.
I don't think you are going to make it across FL on the ICW due to the bridge height on the east side of Lake Okeechobee,

Sumner
====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks for the note on height. The boat is a friend's and is a Hunter 49 he has been looking at in Sarasota. 2007 boat that is impressive with good price.