Santa seeks advice from all you rum connoisseurs!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
you can pay a lot for some of the bottles on the very top shelf in the liquor store, but real "top shelf" liquor is NOT that expensive... and I can tell you with first hand knowledge that the "special" top dollar stuff is very seldom any better than the popular brand.... it just tastes different, and its not always what some of us know as a good taste.
a marketing scheme for a bad batch of liquor, wine or beer, is to place the "off" tasting stuff in a "limited edition" bottle, mark it as "special" and put a very high price on it and let the public dispose of it in the same manner they do the common stuff... a bad batch can be caused by the fermenting/distilling process, or more commonly, the blending process. then when it doesn't measure up in the taste test and it cant be sold as one of the well known "flavors" by the manufacture, it gets put into those special bottles.
why do you suppose some of the alcohols one can buy costs so unreasonably much when it doesnt cost any more to make an excellent product than it does to make a good product?.... the taste of anything is always a matter of personal preference, but when a batch goes bad, this is the surest and best way of getting rid of it without taking a loss by dumping it...

when one pays over about $60 for a bottle of liquor, they are beginning to buy status rather than just a good quality drink, and when one pays over about $100 a bottle, it starts becoming a bottle that looks much better than the contents will taste, and so should just set on the shelf to look at.
It's true that "taste" and price might not be correlated b/c as you say, people might not agree on what tastes good to them regardless of the price. But people tend to "like" the taste of foods and beverages that they are familiar with. If they're accustomed to the taste of $20/bottle rum (or whatever), then hit them with something that's $50-$60/bottle and it might taste "funny." Try some "blind" wine tasting with a group of friends and you'll see what I mean. Short of scamming one's customers as you describe, the price is driven by the mark-up over the cost of production & distribution initially, and then potentially by the ensuring rareness of the product. Older vintages of wines, for example, tend to increase in price (ahead of inflation) b/c there are fewer and fewer of the bottles on the market as time goes on, etc. A rum aged 10 yr costs more to produce than one aged 8 yr, so would be more expensive even if there was no discernible difference in "goodness of taste", etc. "Limited Editions" cost more b/c they are short production runs with a concomitantly higher cost of production per bottle, etc. [This would certainly be true if they were all spoiled batches!] They are, in effect, novelty items themselves b/c few people have 'em, so are not seen much.

If you drink what the vast majority of Americans believes tastes good, you'd be drinking the rum equivalent of Budweiser--I guess that might be Bacardi or Cap't Morgan. Blandness of taste in foods and beverages is popular b/c such products do not "offend" the weak palates of the non-adventurous. If you want to impress a friend--get 'em something "new and different" to experience, even if it is a "Limited Edition." At the least s/he will have a nice-looking bottle of barely touched "Limited Edition" rum to sit in the liquor cabinet forever to remind of you!!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
nice-looking bottle of barely touched "Limited Edition" rum to sit in the liquor cabinet forever to remind of
So do you take shots of the good stuff - gone in a night of rivalry. Then refill the pretty bottle with stuff you drink regularly and no one - but you - knows the difference? :poke:
In the bar business that's considering watering the drinks.... Done often.... :pray:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So do you take shots of the good stuff - gone in a night of rivalry. Then refill the pretty bottle with stuff you drink regularly and no one - but you - knows the difference? :poke:
In the bar business that's considering watering the drinks.... Done often.... :pray:
No--if the brother-in-law does not like it after a few sips, I doubt he'd pour it out as it would have been a gift; so it sits there barely touched. If he drinks it all but still likes the bottle, it sits there empty. I have a few of those reminiscences (empty bottles) here at home of rum gifts from the Caribbean!!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I guess that is what was in those funny Jim Beam bottles my dad used to buy for my mother or so he said. We always thought my uncle was cool when he gave us those bags from Crown Royal to keep our marbles in. Mostly marketing? I taste a difference between the brands but don't really have a preference. I do sometimes notice a difference in the morning after drinking the cheap stuff.
you missed the point:).... I was not referring to a particular brands "collectors series" or bottles, and especially not the common crown royal product....
if you go into a large and well stocked liquor store and look at the stuff that is upwards of $175 per bottle, then you are in the special stuff that is much better to look at on the shelf than it is to drink... its not a bad product as in terrible tasting, but lets say if, during the blending process of crown royal a mistake is made, and the taste changes to something other than they were trying for, do you suppose they are going to put it in a crown bottle and try to sell it as crown?.... or do you think they are going to dump it down the drain?..... nope, they bottle it and mark it as special in some way with a higher price so people will think it is truly special and the stuff SELLS..... and yes, there is a bit higher production cost for this because the bottles and labeling cost more and the product has to be handled separately from the regular runs of product.

as for taking shots out of the fancy bottles, no matter if it is the "special" stuff or one of the collectors series bottles, the collectors value drops to nearly nothing after the seal is broken, although certain collectors series bottles are valuable even when empty...

I have 5 bottles of the special stuff on my shelf that was given to me by an old friend of my dads who is in the business, and I have shared a few other bottles with friends, and there is nothing special about it other than the price....

it doesnt matter if one is a sailor or a train engineer or something in between, the taste for the $100+ bottles of alcohol does not come from the taste buds, but from the fact that it is so expensive that the "common" folks cant afford to drink it... the belief that it tastes better is only a justification for it being so expensive.... rather than it being expensive because it tastes better.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
It's true that "taste" and price might not be correlated b/c as you say, people might not agree on what tastes good to them regardless of the price. But people tend to "like" the taste of foods and beverages that they are familiar with. If they're accustomed to the taste of $20/bottle rum (or whatever), then hit them with something that's $50-$60/bottle and it might taste "funny." Try some "blind" wine tasting with a group of friends and you'll see what I mean. Short of scamming one's customers as you describe, the price is driven by the mark-up over the cost of production & distribution initially, and then potentially by the ensuring rareness of the product. Older vintages of wines, for example, tend to increase in price (ahead of inflation) b/c there are fewer and fewer of the bottles on the market as time goes on, etc. A rum aged 10 yr costs more to produce than one aged 8 yr, so would be more expensive even if there was no discernible difference in "goodness of taste", etc. "Limited Editions" cost more b/c they are short production runs with a concomitantly higher cost of production per bottle, etc. [This would certainly be true if they were all spoiled batches!] They are, in effect, novelty items themselves b/c few people have 'em, so are not seen much.

If you drink what the vast majority of Americans believes tastes good, you'd be drinking the rum equivalent of Budweiser--I guess that might be Bacardi or Cap't Morgan. Blandness of taste in foods and beverages is popular b/c such products do not "offend" the weak palates of the non-adventurous. If you want to impress a friend--get 'em something "new and different" to experience, even if it is a "Limited Edition." At the least s/he will have a nice-looking bottle of barely touched "Limited Edition" rum to sit in the liquor cabinet forever to remind of you!!
one cant help but agree that its more of a personal taste than any other factor... but sometimes its not always the budweiser factor, sometimes its just a reasonably good product at a fair price, no matter what the advertising wants to tell us.
one doesnt have to pay a lot for an excellent product, but they will generally always have to pay more for a rare or hard to find product....
and drinking aside, I will agree that there IS something special about knowing you have a couple of $250 bottles of liquor in the cabinet that you can look at and show off.... or if you are into trying to impress people, pour a shot for your guest so he/she can see if it tastes any more expensive than the $40 bottle:biggrin:

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
Without a doubt (or as they say "on my honor" down-under) BUNDY OP (I think it is 60%) is the best and Newfie SKREECH when you can't get BUNDY. The rest is just goat piss like American beer when compared to Canadian beer.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Kirk and Sweeney.JPG Pilar Rum.png We have been enjoying Kirk and Sweeney for a couple years. Got it originally because of the great bottle. Its etched with charts and sailboat, very beautiful. Pilar has more flavor for my taste, and both of these are under $40. Both are great gifts because of the presentation.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Pilar is very tasty, But my preferred rum is Rhum Barbancourt 15-year old Estate Reserve

Probably because it is tasty, and reasonably easy to get in S Florida.

The whiskey exchange says this
"Truly one of the world's greatest rums, this Haitian rhum agricole is distilled twice in copper pot stills and received 92 points (Gold Medal- Exceptional) from the Beverage Testing Institute."

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Pilar is very tasty, But my preferred rum is Rhum Barbancourt 15-year old Estate Reserve
Probably because it is tasty, and reasonably easy to get in S Florida.

The whiskey exchange says this
"Truly one of the world's greatest rums, this Haitian rhum agricole is distilled twice in copper pot stills and received 92 points (Gold Medal- Exceptional) from the Beverage Testing Institute."

That's the stuff I keep on board Daydream, only it's the 8-yr variety. Yes, I'm a bourbon guy, but it's a legal requirement to have rum on board, isn't it? I don't want to get boarded by the Coast Guard and be cited for not having any.

The problem is, it keeps evaporating out of the bottle!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Sorry guys, Kit and Lee just rafted up and brought over three bottles of wine. What was I doing again?

All U Get

(If you have your boat on the hard you are missin the party)

TAK

Nov 29, 2009
Beneteau 381 Punta Gorda
Mount Gay produces several rum products. Mount Gay 1703 is an excellent sipping rum at around $100.00

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
That's the stuff I keep on board Daydream, only it's the 8-yr variety. Yes, I'm a bourbon guy, but it's a legal requirement to have rum on board, isn't it? I don't want to get boarded by the Coast Guard and be cited for not having any.

The problem is, it keeps evaporating out of the bottle!

Yeah the 8 year 5star is what I usually keep on board. the 15 year is only for special occasions. In the Bahamas, A bottle of 5 Star is between $8-$15 for a 750ml depending on what island your on whereas a 12 pack of beer is $45. Its a no brainer. I always bring back a couple of extra bottles when I go.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Barbancourt and Mt. Gay both produce some great pure cane rums in different styles, especially when aged to mellow them. Estate rums tend to be the small-batch aged specialty rums that are the zenith of the distillery product line. The French style Barbancourt rhum tends to be a pure spirit, while the English style goes in for subtle spices, bourbon barrels, and some sweetening that affect a cognac taste - very smooth. So it depends on your palate. I have had some Rhum that was French style and it actually tasted like a tequila, kind of a sour-mash scent that was very odd. Vive la difference!

Interesting note: High proof rum (>180proof) is an essential down island, it stuns a fish when poured on the gills, ignites the charcoal as you prepare to cook the fish, and sanitizes the wound when you manage to gig your hand with that big tuna hook. It also does a passable job of removing all those black scuff marks from the deck!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
My brother in law is a career Navy man, born in the Dominican Republic, who loves his rum. :)
Hmm ... I'm reading the suggestions for specialty products and some that are hard to find. I'm thinking that maybe they might just like a variety case of $25 bottles! Sure, it's low-brow, but there is something to be said for quantity and variety over high-brow pretentiousness!;)
My favorites include Sailor Jerry, Blackheart, Goslings, Mt. Gay and especially Brinley Gold Shipwreck. I'll have to admit that I'm mostly into the catchy bottle graphics. When my son and D-I-L presented me with Blackheart for my birthday, I was tickled to death, even though I had no idea how it would taste! I especially like Shipwreck for the flavor varieties. The classy stuff is definitely wasted on me!

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Hi Gene! That Goslings Black Seal that Scott mentioned is excellent, and you can't go wrong with a bottle of Pusser's. both fine sailors rum in my opinion!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Hmm ... I'm reading the suggestions for specialty products and some that are hard to find. I'm thinking that maybe they might just like a variety case of $25 bottles! Sure, it's low-brow, but there is something to be said for quantity and variety over high-brow pretentiousness!;)
My favorites include Sailor Jerry, Blackheart, Goslings, Mt. Gay and especially Brinley Gold Shipwreck. I'll have to admit that I'm mostly into the catchy bottle graphics. When my son and D-I-L presented me with Blackheart for my birthday, I was tickled to death, even though I had no idea how it would taste! I especially like Shipwreck for the flavor varieties. The classy stuff is definitely wasted on me!
I like the way you think, T-Bird (I hope that's your favorite car, not your favorite wine!) After a few drinks, it's all the same, right?? Although, as was mentioned, the hangovers can be very distinctly different. ;)

But at any rate, I had to go with someone's advice before time ran out, and it wound up being @Gunni 's. I mail-ordered a bottle of Ron Zapaca Centenario XO, for what I thought was a reasonable price (much lower than I was prepared to spend, anyway). It arrived yesterday. Thanks, Gunni!

And thanks to everyone else who chimed in on this thread, my goodness, what an amazing response!! It seems the membership here has a serious collective drinking problem. Nice to know I'm in good company. :thumbup: