Salute/Farwell to Astronaut John Glenn

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original Mercury 7 astronauts were first stationed at NASA Langley and most comprised of WW II pilots who were considered for this mission living in the Tidewater area or Hampton/Newport News, VA. He was a Marine Aviator. Hoora! This was the American to orbit the earth, John Glenn, and the last and I salute him. Farwell and God Speed my friend.

As a child, I grew around these great pilots and many do not realize the demands all 7 were placed on them in war and also by NASA. All knew the dangers. A good example is Gus Grissom and the other two who died on the Cape when the capsule burned. As a child knowing Gus, Gus said being an astronaut was "like sticking a stick of dynamite up your a--." It was a dangerous mission for all. John was considered the one to succeed leaving NASA and he sure did serving as Senator Glenn representing Ohio and highly respected amongst his piers to include by his fellow Mercury astronauts.

The race to the Moon was exciting and so many do not realize how this cemented the country together and the technology that came out from NASA which we enjoy today.
God Speed John GLENN

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Probably because of Roosian hacking or "fake news".:biggrin:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Listening to the summaries of John Glen's life I was struck by all of his accomplishments. What a life he led! RIP Senator Glenn, an American hero.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
He was also the oldest in orbit when he flew on the space shuttle.
I miss the glory days of NASA. Maybe one day man will walk on Mars but I doubt it will be in my lifetime. The moon is still there and apparently unreachable for us.
Dave has many more memories and stories about his relationship with space pioneers than I do. But my one personal story will keep me excited for the rest of my life.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
RIP John Glenn.
We have a little known space museum here in Kansas. Many artifacts from our space history. They have been consultants to several movies about space. They restored Grissom's recovered capsule. John Glenn is prominent in displays there.
A must see if you are in the neighborhood. Our Sailing club isn't too far away either.
http://cosmo.org/exhibitions/hall-of-space

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
He was the first "Space Marine". Private Vasquez (Aliens) would be proud!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Justin NSA
on 7/5/61, Gus Grissom came to my home to pay his respect for my dad who had died and was his close friend. He put his arm around my shoulder and said I was his third son. That is how close I was to many of them. It was an exciting time when space exploration was in its beginning and can well remember dad and Gus talking about the SR 71 in 1960 while drinking beer of course.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin NSA
on 7/5/61, Gus Grissom came to my home to pay his respect for my dad who had died and was his close friend. He put his arm around my shoulder and said I was his third son. That is how close I was to many of them. It was an exciting time when space exploration was in its beginning and can well remember dad and Gus talking about the SR 71 in 1960 while drinking beer of course.
Cool story Dave! The Cosmosphere has a lot of the history of the cold war and the space race beginning with WWII. There's an SR71 on static display too. They used to come in to MCAS El Toro occasionally. Very hush hush.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
John Glenn truely was a great American and I admired him. I never got to meet him but I helped him during his orbits. I was the US Navy NCO in charge of the microwave site at Roos. Rds PR that handled his radio contact between he and Cape Canaveral during his flight and shaky landing. It was an honor to participate!
Happy Holidays to all of you! Chief

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Great story, Chief! I wasn't quite 4 then. But I do have memories of watching the launches at a friend's house since they had a color tv.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Memories enrich our lives.
With the name Shepard, I found out that Alan Shepard was a distant relation. My Dad, was a Lt Commander in the Navy shortly after John Glenn returned from his Space trip. Dad was making a phone call in an Airport to a fellow officer named Glenn, not the Glenn. Back then the pay phones were not always private discussions and a woman sitting nearby over heard his call. "Yes, This is Commander Shepard for Colonel Glenn... " When he hung up the woman shouted "How was the ride?" waving her hand up and down like a rocket launching and returning. My dad not wanting to disappoint shouted back "Great" and left to catch his plane.
Fair winds John Glenn...

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
GodSpeed John Glenn..an American Hero... My memories are having my transistor radio pressed to my ear to hear the countdown etc. Exciting times.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Great thread! Enjoyed your stories and memories. John Glenn has always been one of my heros. We'll be watching the Right Stuff this weekend in his honor. RIP John Glenn!

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
He held the record for the fastest coast to coast flight in an F-8 Crusader ( last of the gunfighters ) until it was finally broken by an SR-71. What a hero.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Most of us aspire to adventure. John Glenn lived adventurously. We can't help but admire his life.
Absolutely Andrew! For those of us who came of age during the early days of space exploration, guys like John Glenn and the other Mercury 7 astronauts were an inspiration to take risks to reach bold goals, and study the sciences. I am sad he has passed on but deeply pleased to know that he had a great, good and long life. An inspiring life of service and accomplishment! Onward to Mars.