Rolling Keel Lifter

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
Last fall I fastened two 30" by 19" 1000lb capacity hardwood dollies together to make a rolling keel dolly. Dropping the keel into it and rolling it from beneath the boat was a piece of cake, but rolling it up on to the trailer with a come-along was a pain, and I wondered how re-attaching the keel would go in the spring after I refurbished it, considering I would probably be doing the chore single-handedly.

After I refurbished the keel, I added a 2.5 ton capacity scissors jack to the dolly and used a portable trailer winch to load and unload the keel into my rented U-Haul trailer. Since the boat yard is gravel, I placed plywood down to give the dolly a smooth surface. The keel rolled easily into position, and then I used CloudDiver's suggestion to use long threaded bolts or rods where the keel bolts go, to guide the keel into position. Once that was done, I just cranked her up into place, removed the long rods, and installed the correct bolts.

She gets bottom painted tomorrow so the keel will match the hull.
Keelrollout.png
Loading.png
Portable Winch.png
Unloading.png
Raising 2.png
Extended Shafts.png
Down2.png

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
That is DIY Text Book material right there son... excellent work and great pictures.

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
RJD, do you still have dimensions for the rest of the sled apart from the dollies? Please post??? I have located a keel for my boat (#10628 an '82) which I hope to have in my possession soon. It will be the first thing I tackle other than degrunging which is already sporatically underway.

Thanks

Geoff

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
RJD, do you still have dimensions for the rest of the sled apart from the dollies? Please post??? I have located a keel for my boat (#10628 an '82) which I hope to have in my possession soon. It will be the first thing I tackle other than degrunging which is already sporatically underway.

Thanks

Geoff
Geoff, that's good news!
Here they are:
-2 by 4s
Two lengths - 70 inches (connecting the two dollies)
Two lengths - 24 inches (forward uprights)
Four lengths - 20 inches (middle and forward uprights)
- 4 by 4s
Three lengths - 19 inches (bottom base supporting the keel)
Six lengths - 8 inches (top of the base straddling the keel and keeping it in place)

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
Beautiful work! Looking over the "working" pictures, I'm wondering what kind of winch is that in the trailer you're using to haul into and lower out of with? Where did you get it? Also did you shape the keel as per the template (13% foil shape) given in the CD keel video?

Geoff

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Very nice! Just wondering why you didn't paint the keel and bottom with AF first before you installed the keel....or did you remove it again to paint? I was unable to paint the very top of my keel or the keel slot with the keel installed.

Last edited:

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
I'm wondering what kind of winch is that in the trailer you're using to haul into and lower out of with? Where did you get it? Also did you shape the keel as per the template (13% foil shape) given in the CD keel video?
That's a Haulmaster trailer winch from Harbor Freight Tools - 900 pound capacity.

I used a NACA 15 airfoil as a template for the keel.
image.jpeg

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Just wondering why you didn't paint the keel and bottom with AF first before you installed the keel....or did you remove it again to paint?
I had the marina do the bottom paint after I installed the keel.