Replacing wood inside the Cabin

Dec 1, 2016
Macgregor Venture 22' Hatfield
I am looking for help on how I should replace a piece of wood in my Venture 22. The board that is in there is rotted from a window leak that was above it. It looks like the board is glassed to the hull and I was wonder 1. How to get it out of there, 2. the best way to replace it. The picture that I have attached isn't my boat but is the piece that I need to replace. Thanks!
images.jpg

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Looks to be the storage cover for the portside settee/berth? The actual hull is further below.
Sawzall or jigsaw.

image.jpeg

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Use a Multimaster or similar tool. You will be able to get a flush cut to the fiberglass hull with that tool. Grind down any remaining pieces.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
I'm with Ted. I used the multimaster as well when we did our salon floor project last winter. It's my new favorite tool. Allows angle cuts very close to the hull.
Can't get that with the sawzall

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
That whole top piece would need to be replaced that runs along the whole boat. So I use a jigsaw to saw it from the hull?
That entire structure is made of wood? Not just the smaller rectangle pictured?

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
thought you were talking about stringer under to port seat. Yep. Multi-master, although I have used angle grinder to cut out galley on Freedom. Suggestion. When you replace it put marine plywood bulkheads glassed to the hull for added strength. Also take lots of measurements and make templates before "demolition" Keep us posted

Feb 20, 2016
macgregor venture 224 Port Saint John
I have a Venture 224 and had the same problem .I used a sawzall and got it close and then ground the remaining out . I just did the section that was rotted which was under the window .glassed the new piece in and repainted it and put the carpet back down .hope that was a help .Steve Stewart of the Jade Amanda 1972 Venture 224 hull#4

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I did a similar but more extensive project in an Aquarius A21. I used an oscillating saw for most of the demo. You'll also need a grinder to prep the glass when you tab in the new piece.

Take lots of measurements and use make templates. The fun part is nothing in a boat is square or plumb. Depending on how much you dig into it it can be a long process but well worth it.

Big safety concern with the age of the boat. You'll want to either assume it's lead paint or have it tested. For me I don't want to breath any paint dust lead based or not so I wore tyvek and a full face respirator. (Overkill I know but I had access to a 3m full face and I figured it doubled as eye protection.)

Feb 20, 2016
macgregor venture 224 Port Saint John
Me too I also assume that all the old paint is lead based.Used to run into the same problem with older remodel work on some of the construction projects I was involved with.