Replacing engine starter switch on a H31

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
So yesterday I went to start the engine it cranked the first two times and then the third time nothing. I tried again a little while later and it cranked just fine. The batteries are less than six months old and the starter sounded strong, so I'm wondering if the starter switch is going. Has anyone replaced a starter switch. I do all of my own work (so far). I assume it's a simple matter of pulling the controller panel, disconnecting the two wires and removing the switch? Did you use one of these from this site? http://shop.hunterowners.com/prod.php?1414 Or maybe one of these from WM? http://www.westmarine.com/buy/cole-hersee--m-492-standard-switch--109357 I'm thinking I also need a rubber cover? http://www.westmarine.com/buy/cole-hersee--switch-cap-black--P000211730

I'm going to do a little more investigating before I start tearing into it. I just wanted to know what switch would be a suitable replacement in I need one.

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It is so rarely the switch, but it's usually what folks think it is. Check the wiring between the switch and the starter solenoid first. On some boats there is a useless fuse in that wiring.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes and No. It is simple to replace the starter switch but the switch is likely fine and your problem has to do with old wiring to the solenoid causing a voltage drop. It usually starts as a random "push button and nothing" and then it will become more frequent, it does have to do with the state of charge of the batteries but eventually even freshly charged batteries will not do it. It is a common occurrence in old boats and some not so old and the most used solution is to wire an auxiliary solenoid. Check the archives as there are plenty of posts on this issue.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
If its a Yanmar engine, check the plug assembly of the cable loom at engine.
That plug has a heck of bad contact every once in a while. Pull plug apart and spray contacts with electric contact cleaners.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
This can get expensive. I have the same problem with my Yanmar 2QM15. Over the last few seasons I have replaced the starter push button, key switch, solenoid, and appropriate terminations, all with no improvement. This year I am replacing the wire that feeds the key switch and the wire that returns back to the solenoid with a No. 10 size, hoping to eliminate this problem. If the wire size increase fails then I will try an auxiliary solenoid. I am ashamed of my troubleshooting methods here; always replacing something simple without clear proof of success. I hope you avoid this approach and save your money.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I did not have the problem, but back when I got my H31 I had heard accusations that Hunter underwired this circuit. I elected to change all the wiring from the cockpit panel and insert an inexpensive solenoid into the system as described in older threads on the subject. Since you need to take down the cover on the aft berth ceiling that shields the pedestal cables in order to pull wires from the cockpit panel, it's a good time to take a look at all of them. I added a fuel gauge at the cockpit panel [whose accuracy under sail is marginal] and replaced the bulbs in the panel idiot lights with LEDs. The ignition key on that panel had been kicked so many times the plastic ignition finally disintegrated. So I moved the ignition key to the salon and replaced it with a more rubust on/off switch at the panel. The key is now just a security device that energizes the switch at the panel. I should have added a indicator light that glows when the bilge pump is on, something that's not obvious unless you are below decks.

Feb 26, 2004
IH8,

As you can imagine, this is a recurring question. In most production boats, the wiring between the start button and the starter solenoid is made up of different sections of wire connected with horrible connectors. This is done for the ease of the builders, certainly NOT for the integrity of the connections. Hence, you'll see lots of discussions about wiring harnesses & the connections. Trailer connectors are often used. They should be replaced. If they short out you could end up with a boat that tries to start itself!!! or a fire.

In most cases the wires themselves are OK. Some skippers add yet another solenoid, either because the wires are undersized to begin with, or that has become the go to answer for the group of skippers who have that boat or that manufacturer's boat.

On my manufacturer's boat, the fuse I mentioned earlier is a recurring culprit.

If your boat or your manufacturer's boat has an active owners association, in addition to this fine and helpful website/forum, you could find gems of information like this:

Critical Upgrades http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.0.html

Good luck.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
So...I started the engine again Tuesday evening. It fired instantly, however, I saw the tach jump back and forth between idle and zero a couple of times. I'm thinking this is a symptom of breakdown in the same wiring harness.

I found a hand drawn schematic of the proposed wiring harness upgrade on the Catalina forum. The question I have is, wouldn't it make just as much sense to simply cut out the two connectors and solder and heat shrink the wires together? Or could the problem be the result of corrosion in the wiring itself, which necessitates replacing the entire harness? For that matter, if the harness runs between the control panel and the engine, why not make a new harness with only teminal connections and no interim connectors? If I did that, is there any reason to or not to slightly increase the gauge of each of the wires?

As much as this is an unexpected hassle at an inconvenient time of the year, I'm glad it manifested itself at the dock instead of at the end of a long sail.

Thanks for all the responses.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I think you only need to fix 1 wire. The one that goes to the starter solenoid.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Hi Roy,

When you push the switch to start, and the engine does not start, do you hear a "click" on the engine as nothing happens? If so, it's probably not the switch, wire, or connections, it's most likely the solonoid itself on the starter. This is a relatively easy fix that is not all that expensive.

jeff

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Hello Jeff,
Yes, I hear the click and I have already replaced the solenoid. Sometimes I have to push the start button repeatedly until it actually turns over. Starting battery is good and isolated and reserved for starting only. Battery cables on starting battery are large automotive type with standard lead battery post clamp connectors. No. 10 wires are next to be installed in start circuit to the solenoid. The problem is intermittent so I will not be confident in the repair until I have started the motor a few dozen times. Failure, on the other hand, will announce itself clearly enough. Time will tell.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Much discussion about this exact problem on the forum. Here is an electrical diagram from Yanmar. The problem is almost always in the connectors at the ends of the extension marked on the diagram. I ran a red fused 10 ga from B on the solenoid direct to the key switch and a 10 ga white from the pushbutton back to S on the solenoid. essentially jumpering and paralleling the existing wires. Label them plainly so that if someone is troubleshooting, they know what they are dealing with. The Tacho sender wires go through the same crappy connectors, so usually that is the source of an intermittent tach.

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Much discussion about this exact problem on the forum. Here is an electrical diagram from Yanmar. The problem is almost always in the connectors at the ends of the extension marked on the diagram. I ran a red fused 10 ga from B on the solenoid direct to the key switch and a 10 ga white from the pushbutton back to S on the solenoid. essentially jumpering and paralleling the existing wires. Label them plainly so that if someone is troubleshooting, they know what they are dealing with. The Tacho sender wires go through the same crappy connectors, so usually that is the source of an intermittent tach.
Where in that drawing would you add the additional relay. I am pretty sure I know, but just asking.

Nov 6, 2006
The normally open relay "power connections" go from S to B. The relay coil is connected to the white pushbutton wire and the other relay coil terminal to ground (earth). The white to the solenoid is removed from the solenoid and connected to the coil of the relay. That way the pushbutton activates the coil, closing the contacts connecting the S and B and making the solenoid work 'cause the circuit has almost no voltage drop.

Nov 6, 2006
Here is a picture posted by one of the forum guys.. Claude Auger, I thinkYanmar Starter Fix.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
The question I have is, wouldn't it make just as much sense to simply cut out the two connectors and solder and heat shrink the wires together? Or could the problem be the result of corrosion in the wiring itself, which necessitates replacing the entire harness? For that matter, if the harness runs between the control panel and the engine, why not make a new harness with only teminal connections and no interim connectors? If I did that, is there any reason to or not to slightly increase the gauge of each of the wires?
Those are, of course, the options, and one of the posts in the Critical Upgrades I linked to discusses just that. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg44056.html#msg44056 Your boat, your choice. :)

The problem is intermittent so I will not be confident in the repair until I have started the motor a few dozen times.
Anytime something electrical is intermittent, it is 99% of the time the connection. Just like we suggested. :) Unless it is a hardware (starter or solenoid in this case), but rarely in all our experience on this and other fine boating forums.

Kloudie's posts #13 & #16 explain the solenoid solution used by Yanmar owners, quite perfectly. [Yanmar wiring harness solution]

Good luck.

Nov 6, 2006
That is what I did, I ran a continuous wire to-from.. Power to the panel and the white from the pushbutton back to the starter. Works fine.. In the past 25 years of owning this boat, I had cleaned the connectors several times and each time the switch would work for a year or so then revert to intermittent. I always knew if I pushed the button a few times it would eventually work.. didn't bother me much until I had time to run new wire.
I do carry a start button bypass but that is for bleeding and valve setting.

Feb 26, 2004
So...I started the engine again Tuesday evening. It fired instantly, however, I saw the tach jump back and forth between idle and zero a couple of times. I'm thinking this is a symptom of breakdown in the same wiring harness.
:deadhorse: - time.

One of the "links within the link" of my previous links was this one, which discussed just this whipping tach phenomenon.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg44056.html#msg44056

Please, please, please, read the links we provide. We do that to save a LOT of retyping. Thanks.