Renogy 100w flex panels

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Both of my renogy semiflex 100w panels have quit.

The old thread on this subject appears closed so I couldnt add to that.

Renogy tried the alum backed idea and apparently that didnt work out. They have no semiflex panels available currently.
They expect a new version in the first quarter 2016.
They are providing me a full cash refund including return shipping.

Considering whether to buy something else or wait for the new renogy. I need the thin sizing.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you can wate do so that's good customer service in this day and age

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Both of my renogy semiflex 100w panels have quit.

The old thread on this subject appears closed so I couldnt add to that.

Renogy tried the alum backed idea and apparently that didnt work out. They have no semiflex panels available currently.
They expect a new version in the first quarter 2016.
They are providing me a full cash refund including return shipping.

Considering whether to buy something else or wait for the new renogy. I need the thin sizing.

That sucks...

I did try to warn folks about these cheap Chinese "knock offs" and was flamed pretty harshly for it. Sadly I was correct about the low quality..

While Renogy has decent customer service the products they sell are really of a low level and often don't meet spec. The issue has gotten so bad that eMarine just last week sent out a email with a video entitled "How To Test Your Solar Panel". They know a good opportunity when the see one and there is a huge one being created by companies who insist on selling cheap junk. eMarine is just doing their part to get everyone to actually test this substandard product so they can really see it for what it is.

For what they pay for the product, and what they sell it for, they are still making a big enough margin to absorb all the warranty issues. In decommissioning boats this fall I have had three boats with Renogy MC-4 connectors that literally crumbled when I tried to take them apart. Pure junk. Looks the same but NOT THE SAME!

The scary thing is they are still selling these panels out there and have issued no recall. I have a 50W Renogy semi-flexible out in my shop that is not meeting spec and it is only a month old. I plan to do a video with it to warn folks what to look for and how to test.

I would urge you to consider reputable and proven reliable brands like Solara, Gioco, Solbian or Aurinco..

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
a quick search I found solbian 100w panels at little over $1000
and renogy 100w panels at around $150

Then again I don't own a live aboard sailboat but at least my boat I could buy 6 of the renogy stick the other 5 put them in the garage for backups and still have a couple hundred change for something

I can definitely see if someones living on there boat and depends on the panels and doesn't have storage and cant afford to loose output.

Anyway guess I can see both ways of thinking but then again I don't need 100w on my boat either so maybe I'm completely missing something and that's entirely possible.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I wish I could afford Soloban panels, but sadly, on a budget the semi-flexible panels are what I can afford for my boat. The other fact that you WILL replace the solar panel eventually also makes the higher prices seem even steeper. The flexible panels don't last nearly as long as the rigid panels.

My panel stays in the cabin 90% of the time. It comes out for times when I am extended cruising. When it is out I put it on my bimini.

I will probably wait to see what Renology does with their panels. If they do come out with a new one and exchange the old one I will probably do that. If not, based on my use, I will keep the 100 watt panel I have until it dies.

4arch

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Baltimore
I sent some of these to the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay (long story). If anyone wants to go diving and turn them in as a warranty claim, have at it!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I was blown away by some of the innovative ways lightweight Solbian panels are being sewn in to boat canvas these days. So I will be working on a winter project to get the 10 amps I need to keep my sailing system load met with a panel on my bimini. Hopefully I can eliminate use of the genset while under sail.