Rebedding deck hardware

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Hello,

We've been getting lots of rain the past few weeks in SF Bay, and as such I've discovered a few leaks in my recently purchased 2000 H310. By far the worst was the port side hatch. I tackled this last weekend and re-bedded the hatch using butyl tape. I've attached a picture of the core with the hatch removed. I assumed the core would be balsa, but it looks to be a foam material.

Next I need to re-bed a port side stanchion -- it's leaking badly enough that inside of the v-berth locker is consistently wet. I can't seem to locate the underside of the stanchion, however. Does anyone know if these are through-bolted? If so, it is possible to access the nuts on the underside? I have the style of stanchion indicated in the attached image.

Thanks!

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Does anyone know if these are through-bolted? If so, it is possible to access the nuts on the underside?
The machine screws are tapped into an aluminum plate which is embedded into the FG. I had one which was stripped (new from the factory). As I did most of the warranty repairs myself, I increased the size of the machine screw by one unit and it fit nicely. The reason I mention this is that one other screw I removed managed to strip the threads on the way out so be prepared.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Was yours leaking as well?
Part of an on again, off again, 10 year project to find a small leak located in the area of the anchor locker. Water occasionally appeared in the V berth below every year or so. Out of desperation, removed the cleat over the anchor locker only to find it wasn't leaking.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Got the stanchion rebedded without too much difficulty. Turns out it was not the source of the leak unfortunately. Best I can come up with is that the large fixed portlight on the cabin top is leaking and running above the headliner down into the v-berth closet. (attached) I am seeing water intrusion underneath the portlight as well.

I picked up the Dow Corning sealant and 3M VHB tape to do the job. The acrylic is in decent shape, so I'm really hoping I can get it out cleanly enough that I can re-use it. Not looking forward to this one...

Attachments

Jul 11, 2016
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
I'm struggling with finding the ninja leak myself. The last haulout I rebeded all the stanchons, and cleats. I think I stopped one leak but still have a pretty good one to find. I'm about ready to just rebed every hatch and port this spring.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter Passage 42 Parks, Arizona
On our 1996 Hunter42 we found a leak into the berth from the hole in the deck where the running light wires passed through the deck. Also was leaking around the windless buttons.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
Hi Karellen and welcome to the H310 owners. It's a great boat.

I've had my 310 for three years and have some experience in tracking down leaks! The most elusive was through the screw holes that attach the sea hood to the deck. These are horizontally drilled and, on my boat, are low enough that the rain water that collects in the gutter around the hood was running through one of the screw holes where the screw had worked loose. The water was finding it's way to the hull near the port lights.

The second leak, which may be of more interest to Ralph, was in the anchor well at the top of the divider between the anchor well and the front cabin. The divider had separated from the deck and rainwater was running through the gap soaking the plywood backing and running into the bow section of the hull. This was not visible until I stuck my head right into the locker and even then I missed it the first time.

My current leak appears to be through the mast step bolts and I will track that down before launching in the spring. Any H310 owners removed the mast step for re bedding?

Happy sailing
Tim