Raymarine MFD "real world use" question

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
It's time to address electronics on our boat. I have had several people advise me to use a single MFD instead of several discrete displays.
I've looked at several 7 and 9 inch Raymarine MFD"s on other boats and all of them still used separate displays for apparent wind and autopilot.
The owners were not there so I couldn't ask questions.

So my question is whether one of these MFD's can "effectively" provide chart as well as apparent wind information (the two things I like to have when sailing).
All the advertisements seem to focus on bottom contour (which I don't need in front of me all the time) and engine instrumentation (I don't plan on replacing my engine panel). I haven't seen a display simulation that would include typical instrumentation used under sail.

So if I still need another display for apparent wind and yet another for autopilot etc, then the MFD is really just a chartplotter and sonar...

I'm curious what configurations people find that actually works well when sailing.

Thanks,

Chris

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You'll often see advice against putting all your "eggs" (displays) in one basket. You lose the main unit, you've got nothing. Havining individual screens for each function, and at least you have some screens to use while the other(s) are in the shop. My 2 cents.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We have an 8" MFD and two other instruments. The MFD can show a row of data items like speed and heading above the chart. I use one of the other instruments to show apparent and true wind, and the other with a grid of 9 other data elements. I don't think I'd want to be limited to just the MFD for everything - all of the data I want to see could probably be configured to show on the screen in addition to the chart, but it wouldn't leave much real estate for the chart. It's also nice to be able to split the chart view to show specific things like navigation data along a route, and still have the other two instruments for all of the other data.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
It's time to address electronics on our boat. I have had several people advise me to use a single MFD instead of several discrete displays. I've looked at several 7 and 9 inch Raymarine MFD"s on other boats and all of them still used separate displays for apparent wind and autopilot. The owners were not there so I couldn't ask questions. So my question is whether one of these MFD's can "effectively" provide chart as well as apparent wind information (the two things I like to have when sailing). All the advertisements seem to focus on bottom contour (which I don't need in front of me all the time) and engine instrumentation (I don't plan on replacing my engine panel). I haven't seen a display simulation that would include typical instrumentation used under sail. So if I still need another display for apparent wind and yet another for autopilot etc, then the MFD is really just a chartplotter and sonar... I'm curious what configurations people find that actually works well when sailing. Thanks, Chris
The other instruments provide the source data. Their dedicated transducers, autopilot functionality etc can then be viewed on their respective dedicated displays and repeated on the MFD. The advantage of being repeated on the MFD is that all data inputs are now integrated and combined to show the interaction of all available information. I have an e95 and I can see wind and current arrows on the boat icon in real time over the chart, apparent wind, true wind, lay lines and current vectors. I can also choose a dedicated sailing screen where dual wind compasses show wind angles in true and apparent or split screen this info with a chart or route guidance. I can also overlay my radar on my charts. Finally I can manage my other instruments from the MFD like the AP and radar.
Long winded way of saying that although the other instrument displays are somewhat redundant, integration is the real value add.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Hi Chris, I have a Raymarine C120W MFD, and two ST70s, one for autopilot and the other for wind, depth etc. etc.

I had a Garmin on our last boat and like Garmin better. The new RM products may be better than the one we have. For me the RM setup and use is not intuitive. With Garmin I never had to read a manual I could noodle my way through it.

I can control the AP from the MFD display but never have. I don't believe it can display any wind information.

I would get the biggest MFD you can afford. There is a lot of stuff going on and you need to see the biggest area you can with the most detail available. I don't think anyone says I wish I would have bought the smaller MFD.

Having radar, AIS, chart, SiriusXM weather plus all the GPS data plots (like cross track error etc.), and waypoint information on the MFD requires quite a few separate pages. I have to scroll through them. Some have overlays others not. So having the AP and depth, wind on a separate display always beside me I can keep an eye on them no matter what page I'm looking at on the MFD, this works best for me.

If you can have repeaters for wind and depth at the nav station that would be great. When you are down below at night with a front coming through its nice to be able to check these things without a trip to the cockpit. I suppose the new wifi products allow this on the iPad.

I don't know if that helps much, let me know if there is anything else.

Bob

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have a new a98 (9") Raymarine MFD. On mine you have so many possibilities, but also has customizing displays. I use my iPad (±9') for a repeater (limited control) only secondary display. I use that for below nav table work and can change the display but not auto pilot control.

Mine...

1) changes displays and updates in 3 sec.
2) Allows racing displays, engine displays, radio, chart/radar/Weather displays etc.
3) I have one custom display with Wind ST60 (cog,sog data boxes)/Sonarfishfinder/Chart that shows ... wind, currents, radar (transparent overlay on chart) weather (transparent overlay on chart) course deviation and MARPA targets with their course vectors and speed.
4) I have a custom display for tacking.
5) Can adjust my iDevice stereo blue tooth volume and selection.
6) On and on and on (even for racing )

I have found no need for a second display at the helm.

When I find the sun angle on me on a very hot day, I let Captain iPad (see his pict) run the helm while I sit in the shade in the cockpit and sip a beer.:D
Jim...

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
...snip The other instruments provide the source data.
Not necessarily true anymore. The i70 Ray displays are only displays, and do not tie directly to sensors. The 40 series still does, and care should be put into which devices are selected.

The a65 we got was primarily for the ability to have a small gps enabled chart display and the ability to prevent dis-assembly of the devices and shipping to other parts of the country to get any kind of upgrade done. That said, with an a65 and 2-i70s, one i70 is primarily wind functions and the other depth and speed, although most of the pages are available on either. The AP requires either version of a p70 to work, so that display is a given.

Attachments

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Thanks for all the info. I've asked a few people at our club (and others) and the vast majority use a separate display for wind and autopilot. Most use the Raymarine MFD in the same manner as my old Standard Horizon CP - chart, AIS overlay, speed, depth, bottom detail and radar overlay. A few have tried the advanced features/integration but say they never actually used anything other than the iPad "repeater" function.
The display resolution, sonar and touch screen on the Raymarine units is vastly superior to my old Standard Horizon - no argument there.

Lots to think about over the winter...

Chris

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
and the vast majority use a separate display for wind and autopilot.
Mine is separate for safety reasons, but my ST6000+ is at the helm with my MFD. I also have separate wind/depth/speed on the boom traveler arch but are also shown on my MFD.

The course change by the autopilot is repeated on the MFD with a pesky "Are you sure?" which in not needed.
Jim....