pump out fittings

Feb 24, 2013
Coronado C25 San Pedro, CA
The previous owner installed a thru deck for the pump out and I am routing the fittings and hose and I ran into a problem, I'll need to put a 90 deg. elbow right at the deck fitting then the barb for the hose, My question is: Is it okay to have a 90 deg elbow at the deck fitting for pumping out? Every one I have seen is almost straight at the fitting.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
look for a "sweep" type 90 or maybe a 45 degree instead a hard 90 really restricts the flow

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Dock pumpout suction should be strong enough for a 90 to be ok. But it depends on how the the discharge hose is routed. If it comes up from the tank at a sweeping angle that has to terminate in a 90, no problem. But if it's an "over, under, around and then up" route, you may need to re-think the route to straighten out the line. Maybe even relocate the discharge fitting in the tank--which is actually pretty easy, thanks to a li'l gadget called the Uniseal. If we need to discuss this in more detail than is practical in a forum, shoot me PM.
Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Not all pump out stations have very strong pumps and so less is better,mine is a straight up
and out and many times the pump out station has emptied very poorly.
Nick

Feb 24, 2013
Coronado C25 San Pedro, CA
I have a MSD porta-potti and the hose will go straight up with a slight incline (hull shape) about 1 foot to a Y valve then about 3.5 ft. to the top of a cabinet the hose makes a sweeping curve to a 90 deg. just at the thru deck fitting.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The vent line on ANY tank serves two purposes: 1. to provide an escape for air in the tank displaced by incoming contents. If no air can escape, the tank--and system--will become pressurized, creating backpressure that prevents any more water, fuel or waste from being added to the tank. 2. to provide a source of air to replace contents as they're drawn out. If the vent becomes blocked, once the pump--water pump, fuel pump, dock pumpout or macerator pump--uses up what air is above the surface in the tank, the pump will pull a vacuum that prevents it from pulling out any more. If a partial blockage or anything that significantly reduces the diameter of the vent line ( a buildup of waste on the walls due to heeling or overfilling the tank, or a partially blocked thru-hull) doesn't allow enough air to pass through the vent to replace the the contents at the same rate they're being pulled out, it can slow the rate at which the pump can pull them out. Which is why it's so important to maintain your tank vents.

It's very rare for this to occur in fuel and water tank vents, but it can happen, so inspect ALL your vent thru-hulls regularly and clean them out if necessary...critters have been known to set up housekeeping in 'em. It's an all too common occurrence in waste tank vents...and while you obviously can't backflush fuel and water tank vents, it's the best and easiest way to prevent waste tank vent blockages--and prevention is ALWAYS easier and cheaper than cure!...Just stick a hose nozzle up against it every time you wash the boat. If your vent thru-hull is a design that won't let you do that, replace the thru-hull--ONLY the waste vent thru-hull!!--with one that does.

Last edited: