Prop shaft removal

John L

May 6, 2016
Hunter 34 Edgewood, MD
Need to replace the prop shaft on my 1985 Hunter 34 due to wear at the cutless bearing. Can I get past the rudder? It looks tight, I need to remove the prop and try it. Any success stories out there?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
#1 Cut the shaft behind the coupling
#2 Use a cutlass bearing press out tool to remove the cutlass bearing (Strut-Pro, home made etc.)
#3 With cutlass removed the shaft *should clear the rudder (*this works on about 95% of the boats I have done it on)

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Or -- cut the coupler along the long axis of the shaft right above the keyway.

Do it that way and you might be able to use the present shaft with a new well fit coupler which is very possible if you are willing to take the whole works to someone who knows what they are doing. There are plenty of shops who know the score. And - that includes making certain that shaft (new or old) is made straight.

When the machine shop returns the parts things go together way easy

Charles

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I replaced my shaft a few years back and before that, a few years earlier removed the shaft to replace the cutlass bearing. The first time I removed the prop and tried to get it past the rudder. Didn't work. Next plan was to dig a hole ( boat was up on the hard) and drop the rudder. Found the hole a problem as the yard is built on landfill- too many big pieces of concrete. Third plan was to undo the coupling from the transmission and hoist the motor up, and pull the coupling and shaft forward out from under the engine ( with prop removed of course) I was able to hoist the motor using a piece of chain attached to the two attachments for this on the motor and the main sheet blocks and line ( mine is an 8:1) attached to a piece of 4X4 across the top of the companionway. Was able to do it all by myself. Place a couple of blocks under the motor when you are working under it when it is lifted up just as a safety precaution

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am working on removing my shaft (O'Day 322) to see if the shaft is cracked and needs to be replaced. Trying not to destroy it, in case it can be salvaged.

I pressed off the coupling (see video), removed the prop and anode, and slid the shaft back. Unfortunately, it will not clear the rudder.

Next steps will include removing the shaft log and stuffing box (with the shaft slid back to the rudder, the forward end is still in the shaft log) and based on MS's notes above, I will press out the cutlass bearing to see those adjustments give me enough clearance to get past the rudder.

My boat is on the hard, and buried a few boats deep in the yard, so getting it in the travel lift to drop the rudder will have to wait until spring if I have to go that route.

Anyone know of any good shops to inspect my shaft, or where to get one if a replacement is needed? I see some prop shops on-line...is that a reasonable way to purchase a new shaft?
Like these guys? https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com

Greg

Edit: Forgot to say that I am in the Chicago area.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
As Main says
#3 With cutlass removed the shaft *should clear the rudder (*this works on about 95% of the boats I have done it on)[/QUOTE]
Then if you put the shaft back in and then the cutless bearing. As he says that works 95% of the time.

If you end up cutting the shaft in half or thirds to remove it you still have to deal with the cutless bearing.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
The questions you need to ask yourself are:
(1) Is the shaft bent? If not why cut and replace it.
(2) Why can't I replace the cutlass bearing without removing the shaft? (It's been done before)
Don't take people's answer as gospel. Ask for second opinion.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think the poster said the shaft is worn at the cutlass bearing, and that is why he going to replace the shaft.

Different boat, but as I mentioned above, I am working on removing the shaft on my O'Day 322. I went out to the Marina today to press out the cutlass bearing and pull off the shaft log and try to get the shaft past the rudder.

It worked! I did scratch the paint off the rudder, but I got,the shaft out.

Short video:

Greg

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
He did say that he has to replace the shaft because it's fubar. So it doesn't matter if he cuts up.
When I replaced my cutless I removed the strut and pressed out the bearing
I used 4200 when I mounted the strut back on.
Maybe the new shaft will slide by the rudder with the bearing removed. If not he'll either have to lift the boat to remove the rudder, dig a hole or as Ralph did lift the engine.
Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
"I think the poster said the shaft is worn at the cutlass bearing, and that is why he going to replace the shaft." the cutLESS bearing is a cylindrical bronze sleeve with hard rubber vanes. its purpose is to keep the hard metal of the P bracket that supports the p shaft from contacting the p shaft itself. after years, the rubber vanes of th Cutless wear smaller. the P shaft can be rocked. this is bad for the coupler and worse for the tranny. if there is excess play between shaft and cutLESS , so you feel the shaft 'wiggling' when you try to move it, it's likely to be a worn Cutless. $30 to replace in 15 minutes by taking the prop off and being nice to a guy with a Strut Pro tool. or you can replace the whole p shaft ..... this is not a fun or inexpensive job . hmmm. i'd replace your Cutless 1st.

John L

May 6, 2016
Hunter 34 Edgewood, MD
Success! Had to grind both sides of the front flange to get it off, will install a new split flange. Had the prop pulled, and the shaft is a tight fit going past the rudder on the starboard side, but a thin water bottle with both ends cut off, and around the shaft, will protect the rudder. Once the shaft was out, I cut and twisted the cutless bearing out. Now the shaft is easy to slide past the rudder, through the strut and into the shaft log. Will need a Strut Pro tool to install the new bearing with the shaft in, wouldn't want to put the same force as on the old bearing. Any ideas where to borrow/rent the tool in the Northern Chesapeake or online? Shaft size is 1".