ProblemStepping mast-H216 or 22 day sailr

Joetul

Apr 8, 2014
Hunter 22 Daysailer Lake Tenkiller
I just got a Hunter 22 daysailer and had a hell of a time stepping the mast. Still havent stepped it. The mast got away from us sideways and broke the fitting at the base of the mast and mangled the pin. There were 2 of us, one in the boat and the other at the bow with a line to the jub halyard.

I dont know if I need to rig a gin pole or what to do to keep the mast from leaning left to right.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
A pole definitely would make it easier, the hardest part is the initial raise. As you've noticed, the side-to-side forces are the most troublesome. The best way is to have people on the side as well, but that's not always possible. A pole allows you to keep both people at or near the mast while raising, to help keep it from going side to side. Other options are rigging poles to the mast to go to each side to add support as you go up as well.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
we just put in the hinge pin and walk the mast up on our 216 - it helps to be tall and strong (my son-in-law). you do have to be careful to keep the mast in plane, and 2 people on the shrouds would help

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
not sure if the new 22 comes with a mast raise but as chuckwayne knows the 216 did not. Post a photo of the boat and ask for suggestions on mast raise in the small boat section and there you will get some good responses.

Dec 1, 2008
Hunter 216 Lake Pleasant
for my new-to-me H216 - i attach the main halyard to the cleat in the front, walk it up myself into the partners at the deck and tighten the halyard at the base of the mast, then walk forward to the furler and attach to the deck. that pole is so skinny it does not take much effort - your "help" may be sabotaging you by pulling out of line.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
in the archives is a really clever project where the writer mounted an electric winch (harbor freight for a car) on the forward mast support and used it for power once you started walking up the mast - that would make it easier to keep it in plane

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Put in a shroud stanchion on gunnels directly to both sides of mast. Attach a shroud from gunnel stanchion to about 6 or 7' up mast. The shrouds will stay tight as you lift mast and prevent side to side sway or jiggle. A block on foot of bowrail or front stay stanchion, A ginpole and mainsheet arrangement will make it easy to lift mast single handed. You can use the jibhalyard to keep mast up while you put the pin on front Stay. Stays are bow and stern shrouds are attached to stanchions on gunwales or gunnels.