PNW Cold Weather

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I bought a dehumidifier from WM 15 years ago and it operates with a fan for circulation (not robust but effective) and it eliminates mildew, dampness, etc. all winter long as it is designed to keep the temperature above the dew point....and it works, plus it lies flat and so cannot tip with the boat on the trailer...The O'Day 272's had a propensity to develop mildew on the fabric head/hull liner and we've had none of that problem.....it's also ignition protected and warranted to be safe for use in damp locations such as a boat....I've used on the boat (in the water with a bubbler) in below zero weather and have had no issues with anything freezing below.....pat

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
And just when you think you have it figured out there is this:
"Oil heater explodes,".
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/551553
The article does go on to say that the oil heaters have a good safety record, yet are not intended to be used in high moisture environment areas. There are no easy answers. I guess I'll need to haul the oil heaters back to the boat. I thought the ceramic heater was a good idea. Who knows?

Oct 22, 2014
Talked about winds Tuesday. Now the next low is coming in. Here is the latest NOAA forecast.
TONIGHT S TO SE WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 13 TO 18 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY.
SUN
E WINDS 35 TO 45 KT...BECOMING S 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 13 TO 21 FT. CHANCE OF RAIN.
SUN NIGHT
E TO SE WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS SUBSIDING TO 14 TO 19 FT. SHOWERS.

The east winds get to work the lines in the opposite direction than the norm. Oh Boy.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks for the update, John. Going to the boat shortly to make sure everything is ready for another blow. Can I help you with anything on this end? I'll be on my cell phone at 425/870-6923.

Dec 25, 2000
Just turned my cell phone on and your voicemail message rolled in, but no call back number. I'll keep it on for awhile. Good to hear from you. Let me know if you need a diver to install new zincs. We have a diver in our club that can probably do it for you. His fee is pretty reasonable and he also has a supply of zincs. Let me know if we can help.

Dec 25, 2000
Just returned from the boat awhile ago. Dry and comfy inside. Heater drawing about six amps; normal. House bank topped off and absorbing. Beer is still cold. Took in a bit of slack in the spring lines. All is well. Looking forward to our mid winter cruise later next month. John says he is ready. Maybe Watmaugh Bay, Spencer Spit, Parks Bay, etc. Need to come up with some new places. Lots of choices.

John Lund stoped by for a visit. We talked some about our summer cruising plans. Barkley Sound and Broughton Archipelago still being bantered about. Probably won't get settled until the day of departure; do we make a left turn or right?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We just had almost a week of temps in the low teens. Foot of snow and ice in the moorage. The old 'winterizing' protocol advice is still the best...

Have good ventilation. Keep the interior compartments open, and if possible take cushions home. Empty out the water tank and run the pump until the faucet spits air for a few minutes. Run pink "rv" antifreeze thru the raw water engine system from thru hull all the way to transom exhaust exit. Check on your boat often. Other than making the interior comfortable for your occasional visit, Never (!) depend on external AC power to keep your boat safe from the cold.
Remember that every time the temps go well below freezing, there is a stronger possibility of a power outage for hours or longer -- and there goes your heat source.

Stay warm!

Oct 22, 2014
The weather forecast sounds better than early report. The storm center must be staying further off the coast.