Registered users don't see ads
  1. Need help with the forums? Have a question, suggestion, or complaint? Let us know!
  2. What happened to the mobile app??? Updated 10/15: now two options.

Penzoil vs. Mercruiser Oil for Outboard?

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by catalanc, Jan 11, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. catalanc

catalanc

Joined Mar 23, 2015
    96 posts, 12 likes
    Catalina 22 MK-II
    US Dillon, CO
    I am changing the oil in my Yamaha 4 HP outboard. I have a bottle of Penzoil 10-30W oil in hand but the local marine dealer recommends the Mercruiser brand. Is there any real difference?
    Thanks,
    cec

2. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,052 posts, 167 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    Probably because that is what he sells. Oil is oil. Just use the correct weight and rating.

3. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    4,578 posts, 210 likes
    MacGregor 25
    US Tucson, AZ/Puerto Penasco, MX
    Except price? No.
    Flame on, you brand-specific puritans! :biggrin:

4. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    1,481 posts, 214 likes
    Catalina 22, Albin Vega 27
    US Orange Lake, FL
    I agree with both the above.

5. Rick Webb

Rick Webb

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    2,426 posts, 12 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
    There is a difference in the marine stuff vs automobile. Doubt there is significant difference between brands.

Anecdotally, a guy I knew who has a "Master" marine technician who's family owned a Mercury dealership and a marina grew literally up in the shop told me he always looked at the oil containers in the boat when they came in for work and never saw a blown motor with the marine Quicksilver, Yamalube, or whatever marine oil there were always automotive oil containers.

Walmart sells the Merc stuff and for as little as the small outboards use I've gone with the marine stuff.

6. jeepbluetj

jeepbluetj

Joined Jan 18, 2016
    156 posts, 27 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Dana Point Dana Point
    What would the difference be? Different additives? There must be a way to find out with actual data rather than anecdote if/what the real difference is.

7. Rick Webb

Rick Webb

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    2,426 posts, 12 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
    Yes the additives as a boat motor typically runs cooler than a car and in a wet environment so there are additional corrosion inhibitors, other stuff too I don't remember now. I was going to switch to a full synthetic for our four coach boats in the youth sailing program at our club but after doing some research I decided to stick with the marine stuff. If I remember right I spoke with several sources and even to a guy with Mobile 1 and he suggested to stay with the marine stuff.

8. Henry Scurlock

Henry Scurlock

Joined Feb 27, 2004
    106 posts, 5 likes
    Hunter 19
    US Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH

9. catalanc

catalanc

Joined Mar 23, 2015
    96 posts, 12 likes
    Catalina 22 MK-II
    US Dillon, CO
    Thanks to all for the comments. Sounds like a variety of opinions and I think the last post indicating that a FC-W rating is recommended cinched it for me. I actually don't know how old the bottle of Penzoil is and it does not have a FC-4 rating, so I will go with the Mercruiser brand for now. Better safe than sorry, especially since the engine does not take much oil!

Henry Scurlock likes this.
  10. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,052 posts, 167 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    That's how to look at it. Viscosity and rating are what matter. For the little that is needed, if Mercruiser gives piece of mind it's worth it.

Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!