Owner's Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fronk5

Apr 22, 2012
Catalina 22 MT
Hello, Does anybody hnow where I could get a copy of the Catalina Direct C-22 owner's handbook? Catalina Direct doedn't have any right now. They said it is in the process of being updated and not sure when it will be available again.
Thanks, Fronk

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
I tried getting a handbook over a year ago and got the same response... good luck... i don't know if they plan to offer it again.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I too am on the waiting list for the 85 and older owners manual from CD. Kind of amazing that around 13,000 of these sailboats were made and I can't find an indepth owners/operation manual anywhere. I downloaded the 86 and newer version which helps but a lot of the rigging etc had changed from my 1984 model. The downloadable versions I found on the older style are vague and basically worthless.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
So as not to confuse
We should keep in mind two things,
1) that Catalina Direct and Catalina Yachts aren't the same entity.
2) Catalina Direct has advertised for sale three items.

I linked to two versions of the manual above that CD sells. Those are the Owner's manuals that Catalina Yachts would have supplied with your sailboat when it was new. The information in them is minimal (45 pamphlet sized pages) and not intended to instruct anyone in sailing. From the New-Style manual: "This manual is intended and supplied to help owners of Catalina 22's understand their boats and answer common questions about maintenance and systems design specific to the Catalina 22. Again, tThis manual is not intended to provide sailing instructions. It is assumed the operator will consult books written for that purpose, or take sailing lessons or courses to gain the knowledge necessary for the safe operation of the vessel." The new-style manual linked by whatcaneyedo is here for free but it's an incomplete document. I know this because I have the original printed manual for my '86 :> http://catalina.sailboatowners.com/images/kb/pdf/119.pdf

The old style is basically here: http://keoweeadventurecenter.com/Catalina 22 Owners Manual.htm

The other separate item that is being sold at Catalina Direct is called by them, the C-22 Owner's Handbook and this book basically has a listing of parts, various add-on or update kits and the part numbers for those items that Catalina Direct sells for the Catalina 22 sailboat. These items are also on sale at the Catalina Direct Web site. This CD handbook basically provides no instructions for sailing or setting up your boat as it's really the Catalina Direct sales catalog. I am not speaking for either company and can't remark on availability.
I can also say that in the 6 years that I've owned our boat, the various forums are invaluable for getting questions answered. If one reads old posts, they can even get questions that they didn't know they had answered ;-)

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I realize CD and Catalina Yachts are not the same entity. No doubt that reading through various forums has helped me a lot. The fact is, I recently bought my first c-22 which is a 1984 and has probably gone through at least 5 different owners and various mods....but I have no idea. I don't need a Catalina manual to teach me to sail. Just like to have a manual that shows the original setup. You would think the Catalina website would have that info available free to download.

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
I have found this forum, as well as the other forums out there dealing with our craft most invaluable but when I first acquired my boat, raising the mast, getting her rigged were very simplistic and just a few questions needed to be asked to get me back on course when I ran afoul. I've always been enamoured with the sport (reading everything I could get my hands on and visiting every marina that would allow me access) but never got active in it before getting SV Lilly. I just wanted the Handbook to use as reference material and to read in the winter months when it's too cold to get out. I guess it's one of those things where because it's not available, it's highly sought after.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You would think the Catalina website would have that info available free to download.
They don't. They sell boats. New boats. They even take the old ones off their website when they stop production. Too bad, lots of lost historical stuff, but just remember, they aren't in business to keep up a website, however disappointing that may be for some of us. :D

That's why the OWNERS' ASSOCIATIONS have been soooo helpful to skippers.

As far as what you need to know for going back or learning about the OEM setup of your boat, that "partial" manual should be more than enough for rigging basics. After all, the boat is simply "simple." Forward and aft lowers, shrouds, forestay and backstay. Some have split the off-center backstays, we never bothered, although I did on our C25.

I've found that the most helpful part of ALL of their single spreader masthead rigged Catalinas has been their rigging/tuning guide. For those who can do it without a LOOS gauge (or two, since the gauges straddle the two sizes of rigging on most boats!) the Catalina Tuning Guide is one of the easiest and best I've ever read (including the oft-linked Selden rigging guide, which is much better for fractionally rigged or multiple spreader rigs).

If you can't find one for a C22, please know they are ALL the same. You can try the C22 Association website, the C25, or our C34 manuals (scroll down to rig tuning: http://www.c34.org/manuals/1988/1988-C34-Owners.pdf). I've been using this successfully on all of our three boats (22, 25, 34). It works.

It's also in Bilbo's post and link.

The only other "complicated" piece of machinery on the boat is the swing keel. I am pretty sure the C22 Association website, in addition to this one, has pretty good information. If not, ask over on the C25 Association website, since many of those skippers had C22s and can head you in the right direction. http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

The C22 is a great boat and we loved ours for many years.

Enjoy.

PS - The CD Handbook has a lot of good mods that owners have made and CD has followed up with documenting with their hardware. It's worth it, if you're interested.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
I realize CD and Catalina Yachts are not the same entity. No doubt that reading through various forums has helped me a lot. The fact is, I recently bought my first c-22 which is a 1984 and has probably gone through at least 5 different owners and various mods....but I have no idea. I don't need a Catalina manual to teach me to sail. Just like to have a manual that shows the original setup. You would think the Catalina website would have that info available free to download.
Hi Kito, You are right. It's difficult for sure on some boats to figure out what the "Original Setup" was supposed to be. On mine I was kind of lucky that it had two previous owners and the 2nd one did about nothing to the boat.

If you think that your ship has been modified from O/E you can try going on the C/D website and look up specific parts that might give you a clue. I do know that we'd try to help you here on any specifics that you're not sure of. One of my biggest issues for me was trying to remember what all of the parts are correctly called. If you're not raised a sailor, then it takes some time before you learn the ropes and start calling that line a halyard or a stay. :)
So, If you can post a pic of an area of rigging, then we could advise as to what's up.
Even the manual that was supplied by Catalina that you may find on the web probably doesn't have very detailed pictures and sometimes, the O/E changes from one year to the next in the various versions of the boat. So , if you're willing, give us a try.

Catalina Direct has a forum with loads of information on how to mod or fix things but the format is weird and prehistoric. You'd think that you could find things arranged in some sort of a logical order but it appears to be randomized within each category.

When I first got my boat, I joined the C22 association as Stu suggested and there is some info there. http://www.catalina22.org/ They offer a bi-monthly magazine (online only now) and a "Catalina 22 Technical Manual and MainBrace CD" on the "Ships Store" section of their web site that is worth having.

We've also had more than a few posts where people will ask for typical problems that used boats should be checked for. It's really a safety issue to know these things. I'm pretty lucky that when I was in a hurry to sail our boat that first time that we didn't have the keel cable break or have the mast fall into the water...and I'm not kidding.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks Bilbo. Since the c22 is my first real sailboat I am kind of just trying to figure what the previous owners had in mind with some of the rigging. I have only sailed sunfish's and still have a Force 5. My boat looks to be pretty much standard setup except for an array of spring loaded light duty blocks around the mast on the deck. I assume these were used for jib and main downhaul but had no lines when I bought the boat. There are 4 of them so not sure what the other 2 are for. They seem pretty flimsy to use to raise the mainsail from the cockpit. The guy I bought it from was of little help since he had no idea either.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Kito, Bilbo's right, if you post some pictures of what those blocks are, we can sure help you some more. On our C22, we installed spring stand up blocks to run the halyards back to the cockpit. If your's are too small for that, we'd be able to see with photos.

There're other important issues for safety in a small boat that I've posted many times from Pat Royce's great little book, Sailing Illustrated. It includes specific ideas for C22s, like this one: (he covers the C22 very well and it's worth buying the book)

PS - you can "blow the picture up by using "Ctrl +" when you click on the thumbnail, or just download it and use your pciture viewer

Attachments

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Kito, I'd guess that the blocks at the base of the mast aren't standard equipment.
I believe that the earlier 22s had external halyards. Some of the newer ones or converted boats have the lines inside the mast and you can see exit blocks from inside of the mast and near to the base of the mast for the Jib and main halyard lines. Evben if the halyards are external, there may be blocks at the base of the mast for redirecting those lines to the cockpit so that you don't have to climb around on the cabin top. These lines may also lead to 'deck organizers" and then back to some sort of clutches near the cockpit area. That would account for two. One other may be for a single hand reefing line that leads from the boom on down and back. The other block could be used for the main boom downhaul, 'cunningham' or a jib downhaul....or even a halyard to raise a spinnaker.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Bilbo, yes mine has external halyards. I reckon those blocks were used to run them to the cockpit through one of the 2 double deck organizers. There is also spring loaded block at the bow which I assume is for the jib downhaul. Another odd thing on this boat is a round wooden block attached to the side of the mast about 2 feet up. Maybe a winch was there originally for the main halyard?. I will try to get some pics loaded this weekend.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Yep, the round block of teak on the mast was for a winch. Forget about it, totally useless. The idea was to winch up the jib or something, but I can pull a jib sail up with my teeth. Occasionally I'll wrap the jib halyard around it one time when I'm flying the great big, huge decksweeper of a headsail I've got, but it's only on account of needing to wrap the wire one time to get the rope part of the halyard on the cleat.

I'd try and get the lines run back through those mast base blocks, and through the clutches. Like Bilbo said, it sure beats running around on the deck if you don't have to..

Status
Not open for further replies.