outboard position while trailering

sf50

Aug 1, 2010
hunter H240 island lake
As the years pass my outboard seems to get heavier each year. I normally trailer the H240 with the Nissan 8HP 2 stroke in the box of the pickup however I am considering leaving it on its mount on the boat. Any one know if this a bad idea or have experience trailering with the outboard on its mount? We do one large for us road trip of about 325 miles one way to our favourite cruising location each year otherwise most trips are less than 90 miles one way. Thanks in advance.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I think the bed of your truck is the best place for it. When I had my Catalina 22 - I kept it on a rug in the cockpit.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I got tired of wrestling my older motor in and out of the bed of my truck, and having it get all beat up riding back there, so for the newer motor I built a mount on the tung of the trailer. a much nicer solution me thinks.
P1040551.jpg

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
My evinrude 9.9 has been on the back of my mac224 for a year now and maybe 1500 miles with no issues except for the weight of the tongue, its a little to light but you may not have that issue.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Have trailered many miles with the engine on the motor mount. I figured out very early the engine will weigh pretty much the same in the water as it does out of the water. I also believe that our road surfaces are more forgiving than the swells or waves of the sea. My only concern was that the motor mount could collapse so I took great care to secure it with a pin in the up position to prevent it from accidentally dropping. I never had any problems.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We also put it in the bed of our Tahoe, but when I got lazy, we left it on and used straps to help support it and keep the weight off the motor mount on our Catalina 22 and 25.
Russ that is a nice motor mount idea!

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
We leave our Tohatsu 9.9 on the back of our H260 all the time. It's in the down position when towed. Never had an issue in the past 4 years. Don't notice any issues with the mounts or attach points. For the first 2-3 years, we trailered almost every weekend in the summer about 25 miles each way. Also, a long ~600 mile round trip every year to the Gulf.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Ours has stayed on, in the down position, on our 260 for 12 years. Never had an issue with it. Tow 600-1200 miles each year.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I leave mine on the mount but I take the weight off of the transom by running a ratchet tow strap around the two winches and back to the motor. I then ratchet it tight so the weight of the motor is transferred to the winches. Might be overkill but I'd rather not take the chance.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
SF50;
As a former Hunter dealer very much involved with this boat who also sold nearly a quarter of the production line, I will comment as I know this boat well.
First, the two stroke engine you have was built by Tohatsu and both engines and manuals are the same which is a lighter engine that is an oil gas mix as the four strokes are heavier. Your outboard motor bracket attached to two stainless steel brackets bolted into the transom can be if you want to but not needed beefed up by adding a stainless steel plates inside the boat to distribute the load as the current bolts may be bolted into a drill and taped aluminum plate encapsulated inside the fiberglass. The plate on the inside will distribute the load better but the plates will need to be larger than the bolt pattern but will need two. If your bolts are not long enough, you can get them from West Marine or Fastenal but suggest using the forum store first to see if they have them. I would use two nylon lock nuts on each one to help prevent the first from backing out.
I am not sure if you have the long or extra long shaft on your engine. I use to tell my customers with the long shaft to leave it down and merely tie the handle off up to the stanchion base on the stbd. side of your stern rail seats. What you are trying to do is keeping the motor from bouncing up and down by tying it upward so not to over stress the outboard motor bracket from that bouncing which is the key. Worked just fine without beefing up the motor bracket.
As for the extra long shaft some have on your style boat, not sure of the clearance off the road. If must in the tilted position, tie down the shaft so it will not bounce but still tie off the handle as noted above. I never have suggested leaving the motor tilted up because of the extra bouncing but that will be your decision.

I hope this helps you in your decision. Happy New Year.
Crazy Dave Condon

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it can be left on the boat, but it either needs to be tied down or tied up, very securely..... I raise my bracket all the way up, with the motor tipped down.... then I have a piece of 5/16 line cleated on one side of the boat, leading around the back of the motor below the lower cowl and forward to a winch on the other side... then I snug it up until there is absolutely no movement in the motor. if you can grab the motor and shake the boat around without any independent movement of the motor, it will ride safe and secure that way for as far as you want to go.....
if the motor is NOT tied securely, and is allowed to bounce on its bracket, there is an unnecessary amount of strain being place on the motor, the bracket, and the rear of the boat, but otherwise if it IS secured properly and doesnt upset the balance of the trailer loading, there will be no harm in leaving it on the boat while trailering....

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I still feel better having my motor on a very solid mount on the trailer tung. it takes the same time to move it forward than it would to tie it down, and it makes my trailer balance much better.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Russ C;
I know the Hunter 240 and that engine too well as I was involved with the production of the boat as well as selling. However, it is up to the owner as to what they feel is comfortable and safe. I respect your opinion.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
We have towed our boat quite a bit, and I have never taken our 9.9 tohatsu off the stern. I do tie down the bottom leg to prevent it from bouncing.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Russ C;
I know the Hunter 240 and that engine too well as I was involved with the production of the boat as well as selling. However, it is up to the owner as to what they feel is comfortable and safe. I respect your opinion.
Agreed Dave. It sure doesn't matter to me how someone wants to haul their own. Just pointing out what works best for me. :)
Happy new year!