Options for electric windlass

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
If I were to add an electric windlass to the bow, should I run heavy cable back to the engine/house bank or install a dedicated battery up front?

It seems to me to be simpler and cleaner to skip the addition of an extra battery system.

Would I take power directly from the engine alternator or from the main distro at the house bank that I just cleaned up? House bank is near the back, boat is 42' so the run will be 50' to 60'.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You have to come off the battery. For a boat that size you are going to have a dedicated 90A breaker. Mine comes off the House batt and cables to a buss inside the forward watertight bulkhead and then via watertight bulkhead fitting to the windlass. The windlass controller connects on the same buss bar. Lewmar H2 and H3 include the breaker (and the control solenoid is built into the windlass - simpler. Scanstrut makes a perfect watertight cable pass-through that will handle all the wire.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Yea, I expect that is the way to go. I have a buss bar at the house bank that I can tag on to.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I added a windless to a Catalina 34. I tied to the buss bar at the main battery bank. I used 2/0 cable for the run. It worked out very well.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I'm wondering what advantage there is to putting another battery system up at the bow for the windlass?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Not much advantage in having a dedicated battery as you will generally have the engine running when you use the windlass. do focus on keeping the IR=V losses in the cables as low as your budget allows

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If I were to add an electric windlass to the bow, should I run heavy cable back to the engine/house bank or install a dedicated battery up front?

It seems to me to be simpler and cleaner to skip the addition of an extra battery system.

Would I take power directly from the engine alternator or from the main distro at the house bank that I just cleaned up? House bank is near the back, boat is 42' so the run will be 50' to 60'.

What model windlass are you considering? I am not a huge fan of additional lead in the bow, if it can be avoided, but in some cases this involves 2/0 to 4/0 wire. Windlasses can usually be done with a run of wire, but 400A bow thrusters, well that's another issue... D'oh.... You would do your windlass take off from your switched house bus..

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Havent gone deep into the process yet so I havent picked a model.
Mostly Im curious as to why putting in another battery system is even considered.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Havent gone deep into the process yet so I havent picked a model.
Mostly Im curious as to why putting in another battery system is even considered.

It would be considered when you exceed the capabilities of 4/0 wire.... (wink)