Ooh that smell, can't you smell that smell?

Jan 16, 2017
Campion Victoria Port Colborne
Okay, I'm a power boat owner, but this has been the best site I have found on boat sanitation. My question is, "Can poly tanks permeate orders too?" Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. The tank is out of my boat. I have flushed it out with bleach and water. Washed the outside of the tank. Pressure tested, no leaks, then sealed the tank and put it into may basement for the winter. My wife says she could still smell the tank in the basement. If the poly tank can permeate the smell, then it is a no brainer, replace the tank. I know steel tanks can permeate odor but what about plastic?
BTW I have replaced all the sanitary hoses and rebuilt the Jabco toilet to help control odors.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Probably should have left it open, and outside in the air to breathe.

Jan 16, 2017
The smell seems to be on the outside of the tank, the inside smells like bleach now. I did wash the outside of the tank but the smell is still there. I sealed the tank to simulate an installed tank. I am trying to decide if the smell permeated the plastic, therefore necessitating a new tank. The previous owner did not really take care of the boat. The toilet had froze and that is why I rebuilt it. The pump out hose, at the bottom of the tank was leaking too. So I am trying to decide if a new tank is needed because of permeated smell.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have a friend who does boat projects for his livelihood. He told me he had a sanitation tank on the property of his shop. He did all the cleaning, disinfecting, airing, and it still stank. I don't know what the material was, but the cure was the dumpster. As long as you've done the work to get it out, I would buy the best quality tank possible and then take care of it - don't leave it full for long periods of time, make sure there is adequate ventilation in the tank, use a good regimen of treatment etc.
The reason this web site has good sanitation info is the contributions of Peggy Hall.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The reason this web site has good sanitation info is the contributions of Peggy Hall.
And there was a recent posting by her regarding cross-linked polyethylene versus linear, I think. That may have something to do with the OP's problem.
Or, maybe not.

Searching... Found it.

Jan 16, 2017
Yes, I have been reading her responses in this forum. Very knowledgeable. Definitely the "Headmistress." Shemandr, glad you told me about your friend's tank experience. Seems like tanks can pick up smells like hoses. I will take your advice on the care of tanks and systems. Thanks

Jan 16, 2017
And there was a recent posting by her regarding cross-linked polyethylene versus linear, I think.

Searching...
Yes, I would be interested since I am goint to be buying a new tank for the spring.

Jan 16, 2017
CC Pump Out Boat Pump Out Treasure Coast
Before you throw the tank out... try this stuff. I came across it as a pump out operator. Product has a "wash" instruction that may help your tank odor situation. this website has some pretty good info to on sanitation problems. may be a cheaper solution than a whole new tank
look at nutralizerx.com

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's ok to be a powerboater here...I'm one!

I've never known of a PE tank to permeate. 90% of the time, when somone has been 100% certain his tank has permeated ("I cleaned it out, brought it home and stored in my garage and the whole garage stinks!"), when asked, "Did you plug the fittings?" the answer has been no. But you've sealed your fittings...so that leaves odors attached to the outside of the tank. There is a product that will cure that: PureAyre PureAyre You can find it at pet stores, Amazon and direct from the company. Any variety will work. I’d also buy a good quality 1 gallon garden pump sprayer jug (you COULD use a trigger sprayer, but your hand will get very tired).

You cannot eliminate any odor unless you first eliminate the source of that odor! Since you've already done that, use the sprayer to lightly coat every surface, nook and cranny in the affected area with the PureAyre. DO NOT RINSE! Just let it dry, leaving all hatches open--even turn a fan on if you can--for at least 24 hours. If you still have any odor, you missed a spot.

Also use PureAyre to eliminate residual odors left in lockers by permeated hoses after you’ve replaced them. If cushions or other soft goods were affected, clean them and then saturate (not dripping wet…just enough sprayed into the foam from both sides to penetrate to the middle of the cushion) with PureAyre., then leave outside in the sunshine to dry all day.

And by the way, PureAyre is safe for use around children and pets...and food. So it’s also the best way to get rid of residual odors (the meat that spoiled when the power to the fridge died, the sandwiches you forgot to take out of the cooler) in bait boxes refrigerators and iceboxes, musty wet lockers and anywhere else that stinks. It’s also the only product I’ve found that eliminates diesel odors—after you’ve cleaned up that spill!

I first found PureAyre at a boat show in Seattle in 2005...talked the mfrs, came home with samples. I've been a fan ever since. When my dad was in a nursing home, I did his laundry...I bought PureAyre by the case! It's the only product I've ever found that will eliminate ANY odor, even diesel and smoke.

Btw, you might want to check out the link in my signature here...includes a lot of informration you might find useful.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Seems like tanks can pick up smells like hoses. I will take your advice on the care of tanks and systems. Thanks
Anything can "pick up" odors from other sources... lockers that permeated hoses have passed through almost always have residual odors to deal with. Hoses can also pick up odors from other sources, which is why it's important to test hoses for permeation because odor from other sources that has attached itself to the outside of the hose can be removed...replacement is the only cure for permeated hoses.

Jan 16, 2017
I am going to give PureAyre a try. Nothing to loose. Since I found a leaking pump out hose on the tank (mine is on the bottom of the tank) and even after scrubbing, it would not hurt to spray PureAyre around the tank area too. Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure if PE tanks would permeate. The previous owners did not take good care of the sanitation system so I was thinking that the tank may be bad, but it does not leak. So I am going to give PureAye a shot. I am going to take care of the sanitation system once I get the system ship shape.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I did the PureAyre thing in a previous boat. That stuff works great. The tough part is that cushions and the foam in the cushions pick up any smell in the boat. PureAyre eliminated that. Peggy recommended this same system to me and she nailed it.

We are very luck to have her on this board!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have had a black colored Ronco tank do what can only be explained as "permeate". The guys at Ronco said it can happen occasionally when a mix goes awry. This was a factory tank in an Ericson 32 and even after a full two week submersion in a bleach bath (giant Rubbermaid & multiple gallons of bleach) and being left full of bleach for over two months, the tank still wreaked. I tried PureAyre, a dog odor neutralizer, and many other things including bleach to no avail. If I brought the tank in my shop the whole place stunk. Heck it was about four months before I could take it to the recycling facility and even after four months behind my shop it still stunk..Good thing is Ronco still had the mold and a new tank was much less than continued efforts to odor neutralize the old tank..

This is the only tank I have ever seen do this and Rocno suspected a bad batch of resin. FWIW the tank on our boat is 38 years old with zero exterior odor. I've come to learn to never say never though...

Feb 21, 2011
Hunter 410 Lorain
I'm paranoid about "boat" odor. I want my boat to smell fresh. Consequentially - I only use the head for "emergencies" and use ODO-BAN after pump-out. MY nose can still smell an odor - but other people compliment me on how fresh the boat smells. Capt Bill on STARGAZER