Oh what a Snipe hunt!

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
So the day finnaly came. Nearly a year in the making, but worth the wait. Yesterdays forecast called for 18mph gusts and 8-12. I had practiced the set up in the yard several times so the time from trailer to water was about 30 minutes. Long tongue trailer worked like a champ. I backed the snipe right into the water from the beach. I made 4 complete crossings of Rehoboth Bay in total and had a blast. Winds could be described as shifty, and far less than predicted. Anyone looking at this as a venue be advised the bay is heavily shoaled in the south end below the old Coast Guard station visible from the water. All in all worth the wait.
For beach launches a kick up rudder would be priceless. I have looked at the ones available here but they are spendy, anybody else got any ideas?
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
So I put in a call to rudder craft as they build their own kick up as well selling dotan. Anyone have any experience with either of these rudders?
Eric

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
My GP14 used a headstock of spaced 3/4" mahogany, to allow for a kick up rudder. As I recall, the Snipe has a more or less spoon shaped "puddle" rudder foil which is typical of the time it was designed. The GP14 originally had similar, and now most racers have gone to a more high aspect rectangular blade. In any case, you could probably build your own headstock with pivoting blade. Gudgeons or pintle brackets with tangs that go along the sides of the headstock are readily available. If you need, I can get pictures of the wood headstock of my GP14. Aluminum side plates would also work, making a thinner headstock assembly.

Sep 6, 2015
I spoke with the nice people at ruddercraft yesterday via phone. After talking with them I have placed an order :). I went with their custom not the dotan, based on the transom design of the snipe. Will keep you posted as the install progresses.
Eric

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You kept typing "Dotan" rudder and I was all "What the hell is a 'dotan?'" So I finally went looking at Ruddercraft's site, and I learned that they are now selling the Dotan brand of rudder for smaller boats. So, it all makes sense now.

Sep 6, 2015
My internet search turned up those two names for gas piston kick up's. When I found out Joel at rudder craft sold both it was a win win. I left a message on his website and he called me the next day! He gave honest answers about both products that I had and based on his experience I chose his custom rudder, not the dotan bolt on. I just ordered it, so time will tell when it gets here. 4 weeks was his estimate, so still a lot of good sailing to be had when it arrives here!
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
DSCN0517.JPG DSCN0518.JPG DSCN0519.JPG
DSCN0517.JPG
DSCN0518.JPG
DSCN0519.JPG
So the forecast for tomorrow is 10=15 with 20+ gusts! Whoohoo is what I have to say about that. The ruddercraft rudder was a dream to install and the finish they backed me into came out spectacular. I ordered one species of wood and told them I was going to epoxy and paint. Guy in the shop was not having it so he did a traditional layup. They should also be known as tiller craft. lol I could not bring myself to paint it when it arrived. 4 coats of varnish later and I am finished.

This will end the journey of my rehab work. Just the fun is left. My drysuit will be here by turkey day and I will prolly sail most of the winter. Santa is going to get me a waterproof vid cam, so some good footage will be in order. This time next year I should be taking delivery of what ever I can find in the 22 to 30 foot range for my next step up.

Here are some pics of the rudder
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
Thanx for that! I am not going to wait. I knew the gopro was the dog, but was to lazy to research. Now everyone will know how bad a sailor I really am. lol
Eric

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thanx for that! I am not going to wait. I knew the gopro was the dog, but was to lazy to research. Now everyone will know how bad a sailor I really am. lol
Eric
I have 2 of the SJ4000 cams. I intended to put them on the Force 5. Never quite got around to it yet, because I'm always flailing around like an idiot!

Sep 6, 2015
So the doc is putting me off the water for 6 weeks to heal my carpal tunnel surgery so it was time to firm up the snipes cover. What a joy it was fishing new bungie cord into the bottom of the cover to allow for a tight fit! Even with my electricians fish, it was still quite the trick. Shear determination won out in the end, if anyone else attempts this I would recommend going to happy hour prior to your start. I went immediately after I was done. lol
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
DSCN0524.JPG
So Today brought the dirge of hull #19712. The hull that started the dream, has come to the end. Rotten glass and saturated core was not worth the effort. I stripped her of all hardware and put it away for other projects.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
It's a sad day to have to break up and discard a boat. Even one that is mostly unsalvageable.

But we can't save them all. Can't save 'em all...

I have a bad feeling that a wood GP14 I have will suffer a similar fate, to be hastened if I stumble across a fiberglass hull. I try not to think of the work I've put in so far...

Sep 6, 2015
So true, a sad day when any boat is put down. Except when you turn a snark into a beer cooler! lol She went to the landfill today and 11.00 later she was gone forever.
Eric

Apr 13, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Lanier, Gainesville, Ga
The boom is held in place by the vang and the sail.

I sail hull #24633, 1980 MacLaughlin set up for racing
Man I could really use your help as I have a McLaughlin built 12/80 and was given the boat for free that hadn’t been sailed for probably 15/20 yrs. Trying to figure out a few things. Traveler is set up but there is like a tensioner line that comes into the cockpit from the traveler rigging below deck. Where does it go to? Also I have lines running below deck (port and starboard) from the shroud chain plate running aft that has loops in them. What are they used for?
Thanks in advance for any light you could toss on these two items.