Oh what a Snipe hunt!

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
I hate when work gets in the way of boat work!
I am going to paint the wood I wetted out with the west system. Is there any paint that is a " no go " for UV protection? My current line of thinking is some rustoleom spray from the big box to make it quick and easy and no biggie to maintain. Any potential isues?
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
DSCN0275.JPG
The work is progressing nicely! I am on to the standing rigging and got some questions. What I thought was a highfield tensioner is not?? How do the shrouds attach to what I got here? What is that short piece of cable for? Is there a quicker way to complete the task then what I got to speed up set up time prior to launch? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Eric

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
View attachment 121149 The work is progressing nicely! I am on to the standing rigging and got some questions. What I thought was a highfield tensioner is not?? How do the shrouds attach to what I got here? What is that short piece of cable for? Is there a quicker way to complete the task then what I got to speed up set up time prior to launch? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Eric
This is a "shroud adjustor." Allows you to set the rake of the mast, and quickly disconnect for trailering. You pull out the pushbutton pin, insert swaged eyelet of the shroud end, and pin it with the pushbutton pin. On my GP14, one steps the mast, and it is held in place by a bar in the foredeck cutout. So it stands unsupported while you get the shrouds connected. Once the shrouds are connected, then the forestay is lashed to the stemhead fitting with a couple turns of 1/8" polyester utility cord. This is done because the jib has a wire luff, and when hoisted, a highfield lever in line with the wire halyard or other tensioning device tensions the rig, and the forestay goes limp.

On the opposite side, the wire strop is probably used to lift launch the boat. I had similar on my GP14 that came up through the side decks. And in the stern there was an attachment point down on the floor. My second GP14 came with a wire 3 lead harness with clip on hooks. When I visited the club where it was raced, I saw they used a lift to launch the boats, which were stored rig up, and that's when I realized about the lift harness.

Practice speeds up rigging and launch. If you want, you could consider a checklist, maybe take it to Kinkos and get it laminated, then use a grease pencil to check off. That way, you can go down the list and check things off, thus keeping you focused and not forgetting anything you need to do.

Sep 6, 2015
Brian,
That makes a lot of sense to me now. My hull has a large shackle in the floor near the stern that was also giving me the quizzical look. I knew the pin moved in and out but had not crawled in there to see that it cleared the other side to insert the shroud end. Thank you a bunch! The check list is also a very good idea until I get squared away.
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
So I have a new found hatred of the PO of this hull. It rained, snowed, and hailed here yesterday. This afternoon was much better, sunny and 48. I rolled the hull outside on the dolly and stepped the mast. That is when the fun started... The quick releases for the shrouds are frozen fast, and they are mounted on the bow side of the knee, not the stern side. I removed the quick releases and replaced them with the shroud adjusters from the first hull and mounted them on the correct side of the knee. Now it is dark. ARRRGHHH.
Due to the width of the gunnel on the snipe, I am anticipating a giant pita attaching the shrouds via clevis pins and ring ding at the ramp. Has anybody modified their shrouds for faster ramp set up? I am thinking shroud leader up through the gunnel to turnbuckle with clevis to the shroud. Not class approved I am sure, but I am not on the hard at the marina with mast stepped.
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
So I completed the running rigging today, and as luck would have it.... I got the Admiral to hold the boom in the farthest away it could be to cut the line for the boom vang and when I asked her to put it back in the bottom of the boat she pulled the boom out of the goose neck. It landed squarely on the top of the deck mounted compass. I love the Admiral even if not one bone in her body is water loving, or boat loving. It prolly needed replacing anyway.
Eric

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I love the Admiral even if not one bone in her body is water loving, or boat loving. It prolly needed replacing anyway.
Eric
I think you should keep the Admiral. But what do I know?

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
I had some fun reading this thread. My first boat was a Snark, first "real" boat was a Snipe made by McLaughlin, hull #15166 as I recall. The class was quite active in the Tulsa area in the late 70s, but you hardly see them around here any more.
I always liked the high-set boom on the Snipe.

Sep 6, 2015
Glad you enjoyed the read, I have been enjoying the journey and all the people I have met along the way. The journey for me has been, I hope as much fun as the sailing. My discovery of the lack of information on the snipe, online is what prompted me to start this frustrated at times, satire filled, facts for any who may follow. The first sail is coming soon, and I can not wait.
Eric

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Hadn't seen a Snipe in years but there was one out on Ft. Gibson Lake (OK) today. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Only got within about 200 yds. but could see the hard chine hull and high boom. Couldn't make out the logo for sure but it was blue and the right size.

So WaterPirate have you done your maiden voyage yet?

Sep 6, 2015
I got busy at the day job again.... That postponed the work on the trailer. I bought some steel yesterday to work on it in the shop today as they are forecasting rain for the next week. I am also high bidder on a Kokatat dry suit, so barring any more hold ups I should be in the water by end of the month. Fleet 532's opening day is the 8th. I have not secured a crew position yet, but will be on the lot for sure!
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
Free at last!
Well almost....
Yesterday I took my first spin in a snipe as front man, it was not my boat but hey better to sail than not. Breeze was light and the boat had good hull speed for light winds I thought. I donned my drysuit for the outing and although it is on the small side for me, it was doable. I love being dry, but faced with buying again I am curious about the smock/sauloppes option as compared to the comfort of a drysuit? New musto drysuit prolly in the 600 range. Pant and smock 250. Comments?
Eric

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Here's what I learned from kayaking: Don't just dress for the water temperature, dress for immersion in the water, and test it. I used to kayak with a farmer john wetsuit and a drytop over that. With probably light fleece under the drytop. It worked fine for rolling practice, as long as the neoprene sprayskirt stayed on. Did lots of surf kayaking like that, I and used to get knocked down by the wave at the finish of each run, until I learned a bit more boat control. So I was rolling a lot, which means I now have a good roll... But I digress. One time, my buddy and I took a trip to the Pacific NW, and went sea kayking with a friend out a river and onto the Pacific. We were wearing our usual farmer johns and drytops, but coming back in, trying to ride the backs of the breaking waves at the mouth of the river, my buddy got knocked over, and couldn't get rolled up. Combo of buoyancy of PFD and unfamiliar boat. He wound up pulling the skirt and swimming in for 45 minutes, in typical June Pacific Ocean temps. Not sure how cold, but probably no higher than, what, 50º? He was very chilled to the bone, shivering and exhausted when he made shore. The problem of course is that the drytop filled from below, right up through the neoprene spray skirt, and he was completely immersed.

I have a dry suit, and went sailing the Force 5 on the lake on Black Friday last fall. Water was chilly, and it was breezy. Probably not the best time to shakedown cruise a new, small, performance sailboat. I got tons of spray on me (gosh, it's a wet boat) and of course I pulled a crappy gybe and went for a swim. Slid off the back deck down into the water on the leeward side, and swam around as quick as I could to get on the daggerboard before it had a chance to turtle. I got the boat upright quickly, and swam aboard. All I can tell you is that I didn't feel the water temperature at all, probably because of the adrenaline of necessity for righting the boat before turtle, so I probably forgot how the water felt at the time :D

My advice, if you're in a non-ballasted boat that is likely to leave you in the water (which the Snipe classifies, as does my GP14, or even a Thistle,) wear gear appropriate to the water temp and immersion. While salopettes and a smock qualify for water temps and copious spray, they wouldn't qualify for immersion. Keelboats are probably fine for salopettes and smocks. (Was breezy last weekend, and our RC chase boat dealt with a capsized Thistle and a capsized and swamped recreational kayak.)

I'm not sure what the water temps at the lake are like yet, it's been quite cold and rainy for a couple weeks around here. Not sure if I'd sail the Force 5 with wetsuit and long sleeved neoprene shirt quite yet, or keep it drysuit until it gets sunny for a few weeks. 'Cos I haven't been able to sail yet! :(

Sep 6, 2015
Roger that. Being able to handle exposure is were my head was, and pants and a pull over out of the boat is a no go.
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
trailer 1.JPG
With all the talk of trailer trouble, I thought I would post trailer happy. Fabrication is finished except for the bunks, and I am going to need crew to set the hull on the trailer to fab them up. After that it off the motor vehicle office to make an application for a home built trailer. Then the launch. Work is realllly bugging me for time, so the project is way over my deadline, but I can see the end.
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
So I am grown up enough to admit that I may have a problem, attached is snipe number 3. I picked it up this morning for 200.00 It gives me all spare blades and standing rigging, plus another trailer. The hull is clean and light enough to race.
Eric

Attachments

Jul 23, 2016
snipe snipe sai
IMG_5655.jpg
Just pick up an old "unattended" Snipe, all deck hardware seems to be in place, mast, boom, rudder and center board, need to change standing rigging, been looking around on the web but been unable to find a place tu buy new rigging. later I would like to change mast and sails. any help?

Sep 6, 2015
Not sure of your location, but the go to place on the east coast of the USA is Annapolis performance sailing. A internet search for 1 design sailboat racing supplies may return a closer venue. IMO the snipe would be easily adapted to just about any other dinghys standing rigging if of approximate size.
Hope this helps.
Eric