O'Day 37 purchase considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Thompson

I am considering the purchase of an O'Day 37, 1979 and have several questions the group may be able to help with. Typical problems to look for: What was the basic construction? Solid hull. Cored deck? Deck coring plywood or balsa? How was the deck to hull joint made? Are joint leaks common? Has blistering been a common problem with O''Days? It has wheeled steering. How is it linked to the rudder? Cable? Can an emergency tiller be fitted? Pictures look like the rudder is hung on a full skeg. Is that correct? Rudder problems? Keel construction: Lead or steel, exposed or glassed in? Keel bolted on? I have searched the net for reviews without any success. If anyone knows of any I would sure appreciate you pointing me in the right direction Lastly price level. Range seems to be 30 - 45,000US is that about correct? Thanks for your help Paul Thompson Joan.paul,thompson.home@sympatico.ca

D

Don Evans

Good Questions Pau;

If you do a search in the archives you will find some traffic on the 37. There are some individuals who moniter this site who have or recently purchased the 37, and I'm sure you will hear from them. You could also go to sailnet.com, to their boatcheck page and there you will find owner reviews and emails for those owners willing to correspond on their 37's. I have a review of the 37 by Practical Sailor I would be willing to fax to you. You can reach me at evansdo@ene.gov.on.ca From what I know, and fellers please correct anything amiss, the hull is solid GRP, the deck has a combination of balsa (curved deck areas) and plywood for backing and flat areas of the deck. H/D joint is a guess based on smaller O'Day models but maybe an outward turning flange, attached using SS bolts and fiberglass (I have not seen one myself). I have not heard any severe blistering problems with any O'Day, especially the earlier models. If it has been barrier protected (epoxy), thats a bonus for sure. Not sure of the steering linkage, but I believe the rudder is hung on a partial skeg. Yes the rudders of all O'Days could be problematic. Check out the current Foss Foam forum (guest forum). This is an area well worth investigating thoroughly. Especially if the boat was stored in freezing temp's, as any water that makes it to the foam core can freeze, expand and split the fiberglass seams. My rudder broke years ago and I made a wooden replacement. I believe, as in most O'Days, the keel is encapsulated, so no keel bolts. I too have been eyeing the 37's and that price range is very familiar. I think if she surveys well you will get one hell of a great boat IMHO. Good luck. Don

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

37's

Paul - Everything I know about these boats jives with Don's post - of course we've probably read more or less the same websites so... Even with general knowledge about these boats, I would have a survey done. If you're asking to get a sense of whether this is a boat you should consider before shelling out on a survey, then my answer is an unequivocable yes. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

H

Howard Levine

Good Luck

Hope you got my email with my answers. We found our boat and got it for a song. Of course it needs work but that can be expected with any 1979 model of boat! The rudder has moisture as well as the deck and I really dont understand why my boat and a few others that i have talked with have so many leaks?? Maybe we all need to give these previous owners some chaulking with a little elbow grease! howie~

D

Dick Bower

Practical Sailor re: O'Day 37

In the 5-1-96 issue of Practical Sailor (www.practical-sailor.com) there is a good unbiased review of this boat. In the article they cover construction, design, interior, performance as well as a history of the boat. If you can't find the article, contact me at RGB128@AOL.com.

P

Peter Brennan

A great boat

Try to find a newer model. There are significant differences between the pre-1980 and later ones, most visibly the cabin ports. Later ones open, earlier ones don't. Also, be absolutely sure about what the keel is made of. For a couple of years during high lead prices, O'Day built these boats with an iron bolt-on keel. It is a maintenance headache, especially in salt water. The normal keel is encapsulated lead. Hull is solid GRP, decks are balsa cored with plywood pads. Construction is really sturdy. I have some cutouts here where I installed deck vents and a smoke stack and they are thick and solid. Have had no blisters. You will get leaks and will have to rebed around chain plates, deck fittings. They work and eventually leak. You should be able to find a loaded boat in the 1982-85 vintage for around $40K final offer. It's a great boat, fast and weatherly and comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.