North Channel, Georgian Bay

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
My favorite spot is entered through here....you may not want to try it with your boat. I have a swing keel so many of my spots are like this so your anchorages may vary. Overall I would point you to the Whalesback Channel, the Benjamin Islands area, and Collins Inlet, Bad River, and the Bustard Islands in Georgian Bay.
lake huron 2015 019.jpg aa.jpg

Apr 15, 2012
Catalina 400 Milwaukee, WI
While it can get quite crowded, I love The Benjamins, and consider it a "must see" spot even if only for lunch. I'll second the suggestions of Mary Ann Cove (must hike up to the overlook!) and Beardrop, but also add The Pool (despite the weeds), Covered Portage Cove (even if you only anchor outside and dinghy in), and Louisa Island (though it can be precarious).

But there's more to it than anchorages: The Whalesback Channel, north of John Island and the narrow section just north of Aird Island, remain my favorite sections to transit. Even on a foggy day, maybe especially on a foggy day...

Jan 22, 2008
Gulf 29 Little Current, ON
All of the ones that have been mentioned are excellent. Preferences depend a bit on what you are after (e.g., being with others vs. being relatively alone; places to hike; places to swim--the H20 temperature does vary from bay to bay and there are a few anchorages that have sand beaches). Here are a few others that we have enjoyed (east to west): Beaverstone Bay and Mill Lake have lots of anchoring choices; Thomas Bay (a little tricky to get in to, but with the high waters the last two years, no problem--east of Killarney near the entrance to Collins Inlet); Browning Cove at Heywood Island (we prefer going east from Browning Cove down a channel to an open anchorage because Browning Cove attracts lots of boats because it is close to Little Current); Sturgeon Cove--very tricky to get into, it helps to follow someone in, but very nice anchorage, a kinda' beach, and there's usually some wildlife on shore in the evening (e.g., porcupine, deer, bear); Louisa has nice views of the La Cloche Mountains,is relatively good during a west wind, and has a beach, but it can have a surge that rounds the southern point and it attracts lots of day trippers from Little Current and other overnight boats; Matheson Island--good views of the La Cloche Mountains; north of Hotham Island--many anchorages in this area, enter at the west end; Fox Island, southern cove-- we prefer this anchorage to the Benjamins, can explore around the island and motor or paddle to the Benjamins; Croker Island--near the Benjamins and usually doesn't have the crowds of the Benjamins, the southern most bay is to be preferred; Shoepack--near Little Detroit and Spanish, a deep anchorage that is well protected in most winds, anchor and tie to shore. These are anchorages that are our most common destinations in addition to all of the others mentioned. Of course, we all have a few favorites that we don't disclose. That depends a bit on the boat. When we had a swing keel sailboat, we were in places where no one else could or would go. Be moved up and our current sailboat has a deep draft and we're more limited. We also have a couple of destinations where we know we can "rock dock"--pull up to a vertical rock face and tie to shore. Definitely get the Ports Cruising Guide. It has excellent photos of marinas, anchorages, and important information (e.g., telephone numbers of marinas, services, tips for cruising). It covers both the North Channel and Georgian Bay. You can purchase a copy at Turners in Little Current or order it ahead of time. send me a PM if I can provide additional information.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I love the run down McGregor Bay to East Sampson Island on a sunny day with a west wind! McGregor Bay offers much warmer water temperatures. We also discovered some great anchorages on the south west end of the Benjamins last summer. Absolutely amazing.

Attachments