newbie recommended reading/study...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
As a newbie to the Cat22, and preparing to refit #12502 this winter, I've been spending some time trying to educate myself and boost the learning curve. I see frequent posts from others in my situation who have recently acquired a Cat22, or are considering a purchase.

I've found the best resource by far is this particular forum, especially following current threads from the likes of Cloud Diver, Leeward Rail and others in the past. Reading all ~149 pages of this forum will get you educated (and at times overwhelmed!) in a hurry.

Other great resources I'd recommend are $tingy Sailors site, great money saving advice. In addition Don Casey's publications, particularly "Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual", and "100 Fast & Easy Boat Improvements", and "Royce's Sailing Illustrated". Buy 'em all new or used on Amazon for less than $30 bucks.

Join the Catalina 22 NSA, get a copy of the Catalina 22 manual, pick up some videos from Catalina Direct, watch some Youtube vids and you're in business for quite sometime.

Really great to have such a large fan base of Cat22 owners offering their support!

Just thought I'd share my limited experience and encouragement for other newbies....any other great resources you folks would recommend?

Ron

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Ron, thanks for your summary. I would recommend the Mods pin this to the top.
The only thing I would add to your above (excellent) recommendations; You did mention joining the C22 National Association and reading the owners manual, but do also mention the C22 Tech Manual and the 2014 Update. These extremely helpful docs are a collection of several dozen tech articles written by members for the Main Brace magazine over several years. There is a wealth of C22 knowledge, tips, tricks, and upgrades from Racers and Cruisers alike. Priceless!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It all depends on what someone is trying to learn. Sailing or boat model specific maintenance ?

The list you guys have posted, about covers the C22 specific info,
with the addition of Chip Ford's website: http://chipford.com/

IMO There is not substitute for "learning to sail" on someone else's' boat with a COMPETENT teacher.

My standard response to people who what to learn to sail, with a dream of getting a cruising boat some day... is to take a good liveaboard "Cruise and Learn" course.
The courses we took, required the completion of a course manual + practice exams, which we then took with us for the hands-on portion, where we lived on a boat for a week or 2.
They cost us about the same as one of our normal holidays.
We came out with new skills, certifications, and friends, not to mention a great time sailing in B.C. Canada.

I had sailed for years, by the time my wife and I took our first course decades ago.
I learned more in that first 2 weeks cruising on the B.C coast, than all the previous years of self taught sailing I had done on smaller boats, including racing.
(Racing in smaller boats taught me nearly nothing about coastal navigation and cruising)

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
While not specific to Catalina 22s, "Good Old Boat" magazine has informative articles chronicling how owners of older sailboats tackled various projects.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
"Sailing for Dummies" is another good one.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Heck, I do the Capt. Ron-style docking maneuver all the time, except I don't bother with the fenders. However, I have not found the dock that features a bevy of bikini-clad women. Got any tips for me?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
As a newbie to the Cat22, and preparing to refit #12502 this winter, I've been spending some time trying to educate myself and boost the learning curve. I see frequent posts from others in my situation who have recently acquired a Cat22, or are considering a purchase.
So, it's not clear (to me either) whether or not you're planning to sail this boat anytime soon. Does the refit come b/f any sailing?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Kings....unfortunately, plenty oars in the water other than sailing this waining season....bought it with intentions to refit this winter and launch in spring...(it needs the usual basics, standing and running rigging, keel work, etc), plus may as well do the others on the list with our long winters....it WILL be on the water springtime....

Justin...Cap'n Ron is one of my hero's, I don't think that quite follows $tingy's excellent blog on "springline docking"...but I may give it a go, but WITH fenders!

LRail...good point, a must do for newbies....my several Chesapeake Bay charters with a sailing bud & wives is what drove me to this madness! No substitute for hands on sailing with a pro, couldn't think of doing this without, learned a lot, plenty more to learn, and looking forward to it...

Cloud & others, excellent advice on addn'l study, links, etc...my library is ever expanding...

Thx to all...GREAT FORUM!!!

Last edited: