Multimeters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I am going to buy a multimeter for my boat. Any recommendation? Any features I should be looking for? I know I want a digital true RMS meter.
What display count; voltage AC/DC; AC/DC Current? I'd like to get the best meter I can trying not to spend more than $200.00.

Thanks
Bob

376hunter

Meter

I am going to buy a multimeter for my boat. Any recommendation? Any features I should be looking for? I know I want a digital true RMS meter.
What display count; voltage AC/DC; AC/DC Current? I'd like to get the best meter I can trying not to spend more than $200.00.

Thanks
Bob
As an electrician, I would buy a Fluke. Get one with a clamp on amp meter. You don't want to have to disconnect cables to put your meter in sieries with the load.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
As an electrician, I would buy a Fluke. Get one with a clamp on amp meter. You don't want to have to disconnect cables to put your meter in sieries with the load.
Do they make a DC clamp-on amp meter?
Automatic off and max hold are nice features.

n624ma

Jan 27, 2007
Hunter 33_77-83 Groton Ct
Bob,
If this is a meter to keep on the boat I would recommend a reasonably (under $75.00) inexpensive unit. Get a 3 1/2 digit meter with a 10 amp dc range, look for a "zero-able" ohmmeter and enjoy. I wouldn't hesitate to stop at Radio Shack and check their selection. I this is a first meter go cheap and get a better one later if you find you need it.

In a past life I was an Avionics Tech (Aircraft Electronics) and my "Boat Meter" is a $9.95 Cen-tech. Most of what I do on the water only needs a Yes-No level of meter reading, do I have any voltage, is the fuse open, is the wire connected, etc. For serious work I bring the multi-hundred dollar Fluke from home and keep it away from salt water the rest of the time

Hope this helps

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Bob,

In the "cheap" category I can hesitantly recommend the Mastech MS 2108. Mastech is one of the largest meter companies in the world and they make an ok meter at a very reasonable price. Having DC current clamp is nice but this one is tough to zero out for low resolution.

If all you want is volts go cheap. heck the meters at Wal*Mart will work fine. If you do want DC current spend the money and get a meter that can also do "inrush" current on DC..

This one is true RMS, AC/DC volts and current with AC in-rush current capabilities. Inrush can be a very useful feature on a boat but this one only does that in AC and they DON'T make that clear..

Mastech MS2108 / MultimeterWarehouse.com (LINK)

Jan 27, 2007
Irwin 37' center cockpit cleveland ohio
Must be something in the air of those Catalina 30's. My buddy Robert has one, and I always thought him to be the perfectionist. Why just last winter he was telling that the propane blower from Harbor Freight was indeed not suitable for his royal yacht. This year, after much discussion, he bought one, and shrunk wrapped his boat to the tune of minus $250!! See, he was going to pay the same guy who did it last year to shrink wrap it this year for $350. but finally, after two summers of me telling him "don't touch the stove, you'll burn your hand" and other sage advice, agreed with me and did it himself. The most humorous part was, when he was finished, some old guy, with the same mentality as Robert Past, excitedly came up to show Robert the $400 propane gun he bought used on Ebay for $100! The EXACT same model Robert was convinced to buy last year. And as Robert said so eloquently "It didn't even have a bezo-electric start on it!" So now Robert is an expert in shrink wrap. And just a few short months ago when he needed a multimeter, I loaned him mine ($3.50 at Marc's), and of course it was looked down upon because, well, he owns a Catalina 30! Mind you it worked for his purposes, but the price...$3.50! A jar of pretzels cost more, so it can't be worth much, right!
That night he scowered the internet for the biggest, baddest, most expensive...OK, medium priced Multi-Meter money could buy. Next day at Marc's I bought him a duplicate cheap one as a present and well, it worked perfectly. In fact, he showed it to the two Union E-lec-tri-tions at the end of the dock, thinking THEY would at least agree with him that it was worthless, but to his suprise and astonishment approved his gift!
So, save your dough for that 52' Yacht Of Your Dreams and buy a cheapie.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
A not too expensive multi meter

that I use Bob, is the Fieldpiece SC 46 priced right at $100 and you can actually find it for somewhere on the internet in the mid to upper 80's.

It has True RMS, auto range feature, a temperature probe, measures continuity, capacitance, AC and DC voltage, AC amperage and has a backlight. Will also recognize non-current voltage, has hold capablility and has auto off feature also.

Since I do some work with HVAC, it comes in handy with the temp and capacitance features, something you may never require.

I have accidentally dropped it once or twice, not in the water, but off the top of an eight foot step ladder and it continues to work with reliability.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
25 years with a Radio Shack

first an analog, then a digital. Heck, I understand some folks do some obscure measurements, but I need volts most of the time. Of course, my Link 2000 cost a bit more than a good multimeter, but it shows me amps coming and going. But not where I'd need it to check flow. So, it's your boat, your choice, your pocketbook.:)

Jun 7, 2007
Pearson- 323- Mobile,Al
tool to fit the task. my multimeter about $12 from Wal-mart. My Shiner beer $8/6 pack. I guess if I really needed a precise multimeter I'd pay the bucks. But as said by others a cheap unit does all that I need. I take my spare money to pay off my mortage and save to go cruising. What is that line from the old rock tune...something like selling their dream for small desires???? I think it was by Rush. http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rush/subdivisions_20119867.html

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Bob - I am with the above posts that you do not need the best. I am an electrical engineer and I design and develop electronic circuits. I use a $ 350.00 Fluke. But the one on my boat is a $ 19.00 Radio Shack digital multimiter. This volt meter is overqualified for the job. Best techicians do not use any sophysticated test tools. On your boat you either have 12VDC or you do not - there is rarely anyting inbetween. So take a 9VDC battery and an LED and a 300 ohm reasistor and a soanalert solder them in series with some probes. When you touch the probes to each other the sonalert will sound. You can use this as a continuity test. If you are testing for the existance of 12VDC then you will have the same indication with the LED on bright if your polarity is correct.
I hope this helps.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Battery voltage is the only place on a boat where you need more than yes or no. I use a 12 dollar meter that gives me a reading that may or may not be precise but it is consistant. therefore when it reads 11.75 volts today and after starting the engine and running for an hour it reads 12.25 volts today and repeats that performance next week and next year. Then I accept that as normal and go on my way . I have some bench standards that i can use when I get fussy but that isn't very often.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Wow, lots of great advise. I guess I don't have to spent too much to get a functional tool. Thank you...I love this site!

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
A good point was made...

don't have just one multimeter...

I have a "GOOD" multimeter.. heck... i have several 7.5 digit voltmeters... (used for testing.... $100 on Ebay... - HP rackmount jobs....)

But I USE simple mulltipmeters...

A $2.00 Harbor Freight multimeter - works well for simple things..... I bought several on sale.. keep on in the truck - and a spare for here... and one in my "Boat Electircal bag..."...

As mentioned, I also have a GOOD $100 multimter with clamp on. It is extremely useful around the house and for testing more exotic things - as was pointed out here too... inrush current - things like that are where the fuses blow and motors fail.. so you NEED one of these... but not several.... :>

The thing is - when you NEED that electrical device - how long do you looik for it - and where did you put it?? Did you FORGETFUL son borrow to test his "stereo"...? Over time - you spend a while looking for "just one multimeter".... So you might spend $6-10 on cheap ones and get one of the good ones mentioned here.

I keep 4 cheap ones around.. I don't have to spend time looking around for them and it is a LOT more organized...

(sometimes... batteries die... the BATTERIES for these things cost as much as the meter... get one that uses AAAs....)

--jerry

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I have a couple of Simpsons that I have had since the 5th grade. I also have a pocket size digital that I think is more accurate. I try to keep it on the boat but like dvid says it seems to disappear when I need it, so out comes the ol' Simpson.
Frank

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Simpsons...

People don't tend to "steal" the Simpsons.. they are sold a good prices on Ebay - AND - do TRUE RMS - which the cheapies don't do well.... If you are on AC work - then it matters...

If you do AC work - then you might consider several more simple tools to check the 3-wires involved..... It's not DC or even related.... :>

there are a couple of simple ($3 - 4.00) testers for AC plug ins... the ones that check for leak current and for 3 wire integrity are REALLY useful.....

Electricians can comment a LOT more about that...

--jr

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Re: Simpsons...

The smaller ones don't disappear from theft, they disappear because I leave it in my shirt. The Simpson always goes back into the cabinet.
Frank

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
All good advice here. I would only add that a multimeter with a temperature probe is very handy. I have a Sear's unit that I bought for about $25 that has a temp probe and I use it for a variety of readings- refrigerator, freezer, alternator case temperature, engine thermostat housing temp, etc.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
One Feature I'd Pay more For

Get one that beeps to show continuity. Some times it is a challange to hold the two leads on wires trying to snake away and then actually look at the meter to read resistance. If all you want to know is is the wire connected or is the bulb good the beep is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.