Muffler for Palmer 60 on Islander 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2012
Islander 30 DCYC
My muffler has developed a rusty leak. I cannot find anything like it online - looks like a 4-inch diameter, 2-foot long black steel pipe with a rubber hose entering top side (water from engine thermostat), a metal 2-inch pipe coming from the exhaust manifold into the bottom end (wrapped in what looks like a thick white insulating bandage), then the exhaust out to transom from the lower side of muffler via a 2-inch rubber hose. All mufflers I've seen have one pipe in and one out (not 2 in , 1 out). I want to remove the muffler and get it fixed/welded or replaced and have removed rubber hoses. Problem is, the metal pipe from the manifold seems to have no joints - just straight around to engine, changing to shiny corrugated pipe about half way between muffler and engine. Shall i cut it off with a hacksaw? If so, do I need to weld new one on or is there some kind of joint to connect 2 steel pipes together without welding (no experience or equipment there). Or do I have to remove the whole assembly at the manifold?

Appreciate any help out there. Thanks, Marc Lohrisch 972-464-8776 (Plano, TX)

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like that takes the place of a mixing elbow .... and muffler. The bottom pipe is HOT exhaust straight from the engine with no water cooling.. The Seawater exit from the engine goes into the top of the pipe and cools the hot gas .. the cool gas and water exit the lower rubber hose.. The metal pipe from the engine is probably threaded and most likely has a union in it?? The union should appear as a bump of about twice the pipe diameter.. The insulating tape keeps the hot pipe from setting things afire !
Not a normal piece but if ya get it out and take it to a pipe shop, they should be able to fix it or duplicate it..
If ya take off the two rubber hoses, ya can probably unscrew the pipe from the bottom by turning the large pipe/mixer/muffler..

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
I believe that is a called a standpipe muffler arrangement you have there.
You seem to have room to install a standard water lift muffler which would normally include an Inline cooling water exhaust entry fitting - so, yes, only an input and output required.
Exhaust system parts available here: http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/...all&template=Templates/B000_storebuilder.html

The Vetus mufflers are pretty widely used but they are made of some kind of plastic.

Probably best to either repair your existing standpipe or if you are handy with pipes and threading you can fabricate one out of black pipe from HD or Lowes.

Not sure how to get it disconnected from the manifold. I thought the picture showed all hose connections to the standpipe?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Caleb has it right on.. The EXHT_01.0_549 model is pretty close and functionally the same.. I stand corrected.. it seems to be a piece that is used on several applications..

RAD88

Dec 15, 2008
Hunter 30 Glen Cove, NY
I have a fiberglass muffler just the perfect size for your boat if you are interested. I bought it for my boat and turns out I did not need it. It is new and in perfect condition. Let me know if you are interested.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.