Modify boatlift for sailboat

Hern

Jan 3, 2017
Macgregor 26 Selbyville, DE
I'm looking for recommendations on how to modify my boatlift to accommodate my M-26. Current configuration supports a pontoon boat. I've seen the Universal sailboat kit offered by Magnum but it seems to put the boat too high. My lift is on a canal and canal depth limits how low I can lower it. I was hoping to create bunk-like support from the standard bunk (2x10 oriented vertically) boards on boatlifts. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Thanks! - Hern

Nov 6, 2014
Yankee Yankee Seahorse 24 Beaver Lake
I modified an old boatlift for our 24 foot sailboat. I ended up adding an additional lift tank to get all the metal out of the water. It sits higher out of the water, but is stable in high winds and large wakes created by the occasional big power boat coming into the cove. The photo below was taken before the center lift tank was added. A small step ladder is needed to climb into the boat when it is on the lift at maximum height.

The most tedious part was determining the correct location on the lift so the boat sat correctly so rain water drained. We dud thus by trial and error. You want it sitting at the same level it would in the water. We are going to add some additional side bunks to help guide the boat in. Once we finalize the additional lift tank installation, we can ajust the white bow stops to place the boat in the idea location for water drainage. We have the bow a little high in this photo.

If you have any photos of your lift and of your boat hull, I might be able to suggest a few ideas.

IMG_1087.JPG

Hern

Jan 3, 2017
I modified an old boatlift for our 24 foot sailboat. I ended up adding an additional lift tank to get all the metal out of the water. It sits higher out of the water, but is stable in high winds and large wakes created by the occasional big power boat coming into the cove. The photo below was taken before the center lift tank was added. A small step ladder is needed to climb into the boat when it is on the lift at maximum height.

The most tedious part was determining the correct location on the lift so the boat sat correctly so rain water drained. We dud thus by trial and error. You want it sitting at the same level it would in the water. We are going to add some additional side bunks to help guide the boat in. Once we finalize the additional lift tank installation, we can ajust the white bow stops to place the boat in the idea location for water drainage. We have the bow a little high in this photo.

If you have any photos of your lift and of your boat hull, I might be able to suggest a few ideas.

View attachment 131639
Thanks for the timely feedback Seahorse24! I see that your configuration raises the boat about 3' accommodating both the hull and the keel // and it's bunks run fore to aft (i.e. normal). The hull on my M-26D looks similar to yours while my swing keel only protrudes 3-4" when fully retracted. Boatlift-wise I have two issues: the water depth in our canal only gives me about 6" to play with at low tide; and the trailer bunks for the M-26D run side to side (perpendicular to yours). Once I've confirmed how the bunks need/should sit I hope to develop a config that adds the minimum height above the current (pontoon boat) bunk setup.
We're current on a snowbirding adventure and expect to be home in Delaware in early March. Will follow up then to see how to make this work.
If any M-26 owners have researched the proper bunk position issue I love to gain your insights.

Thanks All - Hern

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
If any M-26 owners have researched the proper bunk position issue I love to gain your insights.
Thanks All - Hern
Your boat is water ballast if you have a 26 D,S,X or M and I think the transverse bunks were on purpose to take into account the ballast tank and how it effects the hull strength and how/where it attaches to the hull on the sides. I saw pictures of a S or D that had been on a trailer with parallel bunks and the sides had deformed. One factor that probably added to that was the boat had taken on rain water if I remember right.

Still the seam where the water ballast is runs fore-aft and if the parallel bunks were used and were above or below that seam I could see the possibility of deformation of the hull. I'd stick with transverse bunks if possible,

Sumner
======================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Hern

Jan 3, 2017
Sumner - in Cancun on Holiday so didn't see your post till just now. You've given me the info I need. You're a Prince! Thank you. Will get back to ref the trips you've made in the Mac once I'm settled back in my Delaware digs. I'm excited! Thanks again.
Hern