Maxwell 800 Anchor Windlass Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I have a 1994 Hunter 40.5 with a Maxwell 800 Anchor Windlass (horizontal with a rope capstan and chain portion.) The switch operates only in up mode and its manual drop.

Does anyone have a Manual or a link to a site where a manual can be downloaded? I tried the Maxwell site and while they do have manuals they don't seem to have one for the Maxwell 800

Thanks in advance.
Smokey73

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I just recently purchased the boat and am away from it right now and won't be able to get back down until the spring (its on the hard in Annapolis). While I've sailed it some this past fall and will be moving it down to Beaufort SC next spring, I've not yet anchored her. I did inspect the anchor, chain, rode, and op tested the windlass, I did not check the model number while I was dong that. I'm getting the 800 number from the equipment listing on the boat at the time of sale. When I do a google search of anchor windlasses, the Maxwell 800 comes up (I think it also goes by the name RC800 or something similar) but when I go the Maxwell site I can't find it either. It seems to work fine but I like to have a manual on board for routine maintenance, lubrication, etc and was looking to track one down. Maybe someone will recognize what I'm talking about.

Description from memory:
1. Horizontal
2. Rope capstan and chain capstan on the same side
3 A flat bar lever that fits into a slot on outside of the rope capstan operates the clutch. When the bar is turned counterclockwise (towards bow) the anchor is released and you can control the tension by the flat bar adjusting the clutch.
4. It has a foot button in the anchor locker that operates in the up direction only. To haul the anchor in you tighten on the clutch (clockwise towards the stern) until it is tight and push down on the foot switch.
5. There is a red breaker that looks like a "metal button" on the port side in the cabin just below the hatch on the side of the engine compartment. This has to be pushed in to close the breaker, which is off when not in use.

Maybe that description (especially of the clutch operation and flat bar) will help somebody recognize the model.

I can live without the manual but would sure like to have one if I can did it up.

Thanks -
Smokey

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I just recently purchased the boat and am away from it right now and won't be able to get back down until the spring (its on the hard in Annapolis).

I'm on Back Creek Easport/Annapolis if you'd like me to go over to take a look. Where is it?

Feb 10, 2007
Hunter Legend 40.5 Coconut Grove, FL
Hello Smokey,

I have a VC-800, it does not have the gypsy for the chain, only a rope drum. Perhaps you have a 1000, or someone upgraded it. Here is the manual for it. Hope it helps.

Attachments

Apr 15, 2009
C&C 30 Annapolis
Smokey,
Give Maxwell Marine a call on Monday. 410-712-0740 Ask for Bob. In the meantime, almost all the manuals are available for download at Maxwellmarine.com under sail and power then support and manuals. I suspect you have a VW800 mounted horizontally wired for single direction (up) only. If so, it can be easily converted to dual direction (power up/power down). You'll need a reversing solenoid pack, some wire and an additional foot switch.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
It is a VW800

Smokey,
Give Maxwell Marine a call on Monday. 410-712-0740 Ask for Bob. In the meantime, almost all the manuals are available for download at Maxwellmarine.com under sail and power then support and manuals. I suspect you have a VW800 mounted horizontally wired for single direction (up) only. If so, it can be easily converted to dual direction (power up/power down). You'll need a reversing solenoid pack, some wire and an additional foot switch.
You are absolutely correct. It is a Maxwell VW800 mounted horizontally with an up switch only. I called Maxwell and they were very helpful. For some reason the manual was not online but they sent me a copy and I have a pdf file of the manual - if anyone wants it just email me. I saw it can be wired for both up and down operation and I may do that later when I get her down to Beaufort. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.