Mast Wiring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2009
Catalina 22 Sebago Lake, Maine
I am in the process of re-wiring and re-lighting the mast on my 22. The mast is equipped with the 1/2-inch conduit on the interior, and I am replacing the anchor light and replacing the old wooden-base steaming light with a combination steaming/deck light. I bought the Catalina Direct re-wire kit, plus the radio antenna kit. My question is, has anyone successfully run the lighting wires and the antenna lead through that conduit? The old antenna lead ran loose up the mast outside the conduit but would like to not do that if possible. It looks really tight and I don't want to force it if I'm wasting my time.

Oh, and my halyards run internally. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Lubricant

I have an ‘87 and I pulled an antenna cable through the conduit. I have the anchor light at the top of the mast and a midway navigation/fore deck light combo.

Go to your local hardware store and ask for some electricians cable lubricant.

I remember just two small areas of resistance when pulling the cable and they were very minor.

Nov 27, 2009
Catalina 22 Sebago Lake, Maine
Thanks, that's a big help. I'll lube the wires up and give it a shot.

gdanza

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 22 Visalia, Ca
On the same topic of rewiring the mast, my '71 Cat 22 has what looks like a coaxal cable running up it, to an antenna base at the masthead. The wire is severed at the deck. I plan on installing some lights as i restore the boat, but I see no evidence of lighting ever being on the mast. What is traditionally found stuffed in a mast for comm and lights? I have an electric diagram for the boat itself, but not the mast. Thanks! Greg

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Greg, attached see mast illustrations from the 1987 manual.

Standard lighting for that year was an anchor light at the top of the mast and just above the spreaders on the front was a navigation/fore deck combo. See lighting requirements for sailboats powered by motor after dark, a white light on the front of the mast up high. The combo unit supplied by Catalina contained a fore deck spot light used for docking or anchoring.

If using your boat at night the deck light is great and the other two lights are required in a lot of areas.

Your 71 does not have internal halyards but I would run wiring and antenna leads in a conduit or some kind of securing apparatus inside the mast. If this stuff just hangs inside it will constantly bang on the insides of the mast.

Attachments

gdanza

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 22 Visalia, Ca
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, I plan on doing some night sailing this summer, and this will keep the lake patrol off my tail, and my feet on the deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.