Marine AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player Suggestions

Jun 4, 2012
Oday 28, 192 Clinton, CT
My clarion CMD5 radio apparently has a blown amplifier and I'd like to replace it. It was an AM/FM/CD player but wasn't bluetooth, MP3, IPOD capable. It was an expensive unit and still is so not sure why uinits made by competitors like Boss have more features but are less?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
My clarion CMD5 radio apparently has a blown amplifier and I'd like to replace it. It was an AM/FM/CD player but wasn't bluetooth, MP3, IPOD capable. It was an expensive unit and still is so not sure why uinits made by competitors like Boss have more features but are less?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
You don't need a "marine" stereo, if it is in the cabin. I have not seen any of the "marine" stereos last any longer than a standard "car" stereo.... Fusion does make some neat systems but their form factor may not always work with what you have fitment for...

What I find most useful is a stereo that does Bluetooth audio then your smart phone becomes the remote and all your music is at your fingertips. I stream music to the stereo from my pocket or where ever my phone is... We use iTunes & Spotify, and use offline mode for Spotify when out of cell range, works great. For iTunes my phone holds about 33GB of music.... IIRC our stereo is a Kenwood Excelon. Not too expensive and I purchased it from Crutchfield.

If you buy one with an AUX input jack I would strongly suggest finding a model that has a REAR AUX input, not front. I have seen too many "front AUX" jacks broken on boats. I replaced two stereos last season due to front AUX jack issues. If you can't find a rear AUX unit at least use a right angle AUX cable that has less leverage on it to destroy the AUX jack...

Any of the reputable brands Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, JVC, Dual, Fusion etc. will be good.. Just pick your features....

Personally I prefer a unit with Bluetooth, rear aux jack, pre-outs for sub including full control over sub, including volume, cross over points and EQ control. In addition to sub pre-outs I also prefer front and rear pre-outs also with full control. iPhone integration is okay but I prefer to stream it so my music is where I am.......

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Like Maine said the Fusion gear is pretty slick. To them 'marine' means a coated conformal PCB with a 3 year warranty, NMEA2000 integration, and IPX5 water resistant face.

Its fully BT, mobile device/USB and Sirius sat radio compatible. The UI on the big screen is wonderful. If your have an NMEA2000 plotter you can probably control the device over your network. This only (slight) downside is that the BT capability is an add-on as it plug into the same connector as the sat radio adapter. But overall they are really the best marine radios out there, and have been for a while.

http://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/stereo-units/ms-ra205

About 4 years ago I did a youtube review of the model that preceded the 205.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I've got a Clarion car stereo with DVD player, hooked to my TV as well. Works good. Doesn't have blue tooth though, a new one probably would.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
I was interested in the fusion line but found they don't have a cd player, so I bought a kenwood "marine" with sirius, pandora ready, blutooth etc and it was $107.00

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I was interested in the fusion line but found they don't have a cd player, so I bought a kenwood "marine" with sirius, pandora ready, blutooth etc and it was $107.00
My Fusion Av700i has all that, plus cd. Swapping out for a Av750 due to the new has hdmi output. Anyone want to buy my 2 yr old one? :)

Last edited: