Manual bilge location

Jan 4, 2017
Hunter 33.5 San Leandro Marina,California
Can anyone tell me where on a 1993 Hunter 33.5 sail/sloop rig where the manual bilge is located???HELP!!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The bilge is the actual space where incidental water collects. It is located below the floor boards in about the center of the cabin. There is usually an electric pump located in the bilge to discharge the water over board. These pumps can be operated by a switch automatically or manually . There are also emergency manual gusher pumps usually operated from the cockpit with a handle and they sit below the cockpit sole with a hose going down to the bilge or a near compartment. Don't know specifically what you are looking for but hope this at least points you in the right direction. No need to panic as the small electric pumps in the bilge are merely convenience items to discharge nuisance water and will do little to keep a boat afloat. For safety rely on frequent inspections of all hoses, clamps and thru-hulls. When away from the boat I will shut the valve for the head intake as the "O" rings and seals cannot be easily inspected and could fail without warning. Welcome to the forum. On any given topic you will find posts giving different opinions and recommendations and you should choose those that make you the most comfortable.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Victor, unless a PO added one, Hunter normally installed an electric bilge pump at the bottom of the bilge with an automatic float switch on most all models. This was wired back to the main panel. I'm not aware that Hunter ever installed manual bilge pumps on their boats unless specified at the time of purchase. Our 1989 H28 and our current 1991 P42 both had electric bilge pumps installed at the bottom of the bilge.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Can a manual bilge really keep you afloat? I've tried mine on a friends power boat where the bilge pump stopped working. After about 5 minutes, I was sweating and exhausted... So.. do they really work??? -Jon

Dec 25, 2000
Can a manual bilge really keep you afloat? I've tried mine on a friends power boat where the bilge pump stopped working. After about 5 minutes, I was sweating and exhausted... So.. do they really work??? -Jon
Yes Jon, they do really work. The good ones will pump a gallon per stroke. Really depends upon the size of hole whether the manual pump will keep the boat afloat, or at least slow the water enough to reach safe harbor. An alternative is a two gallon bucket, but either way you're going to work up a sweat. Best to find and plug the leak if possible to at least slow the incoming water flow. I have a gallon-a-stroke Whale on the boat, but have yet to install it; a worthy project. Our first boat (H28) had one the PO installed in the starboard lazerette locker, but never had to use it. That is where I plan on installing ours, as close to the cockpit as possible with an intake hose running down to the bilge and a discharge hose that I can throw over the side.

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...roduct_ID=10006&FriendlyID=Double-Acting-Mk-5

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks Terry.... Mine is not installed.. PO put it on a piece of wood shaped like a paddle, with 2 (short) hoses... Where did you get your hoses? Thanks... Jon

Dec 25, 2000
Thanks Terry.... Mine is not installed.. PO put it on a piece of wood shaped like a paddle, with 2 (short) hoses... Where did you get your hoses? Thanks... Jon
You are most welcome. Have not purchased hoses yet, Jon, but when I do I'll go to either an industrial supply house or our local marine chandlery for what I need. Most of the manual ones use a 1.5" ISD reinforced type hose.

Regarding what your PO did, some racing boats will install the manual pump on such a board for easier stowage, that way they can move it around wherever they need it or to another boat if necessary. Edson makes such a portable system for their manual bilge pump product.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Most Hunters were delivered with an electric pump but some of the older models did not include a float switch. It was standard procedure as you walked in the boat to turn on the pump at the 12V electrical panel and then turn it off. This exemplifies what the boat designers thought of the mission of these bilge pumps as merely convenience items. Later we asked for more convenience and they included automatic switches.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While an electric pump is a nice convenience, (I call it an electric sponge)... a good high volume manual pump is a vital and mandatory piece of safety gear. If your boat's manufacture did not think so, they were wrong.

If you do it yourself, mount the pump in the cockpit, where you can pump safely until you can't. Use large diameter smooth walled hose. Put the sucking end in the true bilge, or have a loose end with enough hose to run where needed.