M25XP Electric Fuel Lift Pump

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Here is a photo of the lift pump on my M25XP engine.
As you can see, it looks like it is mounted on a twist-lock mechanism.
Has anyone any experience with changing the filter that is housed within this pump?

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
womble, you put a socket or adjustable wrench on the nut on the bottom and just turn. Look carefully for the ears on the bottom lip of the pump body and the slots in the sides of the bottom.

If not done yet, the fuel should go: tank>Racor>pump. Most boats came backwards, so the pump filter was the first filter the fuel encountered, not so good given its size.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You can get the pumps and replacement filters at NAPA auto parts stores. The filter is just a coarse screen so it can be cleaned but it makes sense to keep a spare in case of damage. Also a good idea to have a spare pump.

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
As far as I can see, NAPA no longer carry the filter.
Can you link me to a replacement filter and pump please.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME

NAPA still has them I bought one in November and it was about $9.00 for the filter and gasket...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
To add to MS's reply: you may have to actually go into a store, rather than being behind a keyboard. It's funny how that works sometimes. Really. :) Good luck, let us know what you find.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Yeah those look like what you need. If your fuel system is set up with a primary filter upstream of the pump as required for Racor filters then the fuel will already be filtered much finer than either of these filters so the micron rating is kind of moot. My OEM arrangement had the pump first and after many years that screen was gunked up pretty bad, I rearranged the filters as recommended at the same time I replaced my fuel tank..

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Thanks to Richard19068 for linking to the filter and gasket.
On that site they have several replacement pumps - blue top, red top etc.. Which one do I need?
Also, how does one remove the pump without spilling diesel everywhere? I'm guessing drain the fuel system?
And then use the infamous knurled nut to bleed it???

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Shut off the fuel at the tank, there should be a shutoff valve on your supply line. Use a Ziploc bag under the hoses to catch any fuel that spills and a few paper towels or rags to wipe up any that escapes. Also a Ziploc bag under the filter should get most of it if you just remove the filter. Then tie the hoses off higher than the fuel tank or put plugs in them until ready to put back on the pump.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
On that site they have several replacement pumps - blue top, red top etc.. Which one do I need?
The Marine Diesel Direct web site for a M25XP specifies to use a facet # 476459 fuel pump. The link above carries them.

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Thank you Jibes 138.
That pump has 1.8" female NPT threads. Is that compatible with the M25XP?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Thank you Jibes 138.
That pump has 1.8" female NPT threads. Is that compatible with the M25XP?
I don't understand your question. Perhaps you meant to say 1/8" female NPT threads? My original pump had crimped fuel lines, if yours is the same just cut the hose and use barbed fittings with hose clamps on the new pump. Marine Diesel Direct has all of the parts lists for your motor on line. The pump I noted is right from the factory specification for your motor. I suggest you remove your pump and take it to a NAPA store and make sure the ports are the same size when you buy the new one if you aren't sure, otherwise you can always send it back. These pumps supply maybe 30 gallons per hour of fuel flow, you will probably burn a gallon an hour. So you don't need a very big port to provide adequate fuel for your motor. It looks to me like the pump is now mounted on the motor? On my boat with the M25 motor, the predecessor to the M25XP the pump is remotely mounted.

DruR

Jan 31, 2016
Catalina 28 MKII Smithville Lake MO
Have another question on this pump,,,
Should the pump start when the key switch is on? I am wanting to pump the remaining fuel from the tank before I change all the filters,,thought this would be a good way to accomplish that by pulling the hose from the outlet and adding a longer hose routed into a spare fuel can,,,

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
The pump will run when you turn the key switch to the on/glow position (and that depends on which variation of wiring you have). You can hear the pump tick when it is running. Some folks caution against running the pump like this because you are also energizing your glow plugs - depending on your wiring. They even recommend against this simply in order to bleed the fuel system although I do it that way!!

Some folks have simply connected the battery to the pump to run it independently of every thing.

Do you not have a fuel shut-off valve on your tank? Or one on each side of your racor filter?

If you are simply changing filters, there is no need to empty the tank even if you don't have a shut-off valve, simply put vise grips on the fuel hose to pinch it off. Use a rag to ensure that the jaws don't damage the hose.

DruR

Jan 31, 2016
Catalina 28 MKII Smithville Lake MO
Thanks for the information & advice. I recently purchased this boat, it's not been used much and I wanted to get the old fuel out, change the filters and get clean fuel in there.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You probably should pump the fuel out of the tank in another way to make sure you get all the gunk that is at the very bottom of the tank. The fuel pick up tube won't normally go all the way to the bottom of the tank leaving just the stuff you want to get rid of that will contaminate your new fuel. Get a cheap transfer pump (tractor supply or NAPA have inexpensive 12V pumps)a few fittings and some fuel hose and go through the top of the tank by removing the sender if you have a fuel gage, or if you have a cleanout cover go through that and pump the fuel into some portable tanks. Try to get to the very lowest point in the tank, that's where any water will collect along with slime and other gunk. Fuel polisher guys will use the filtered fuel to "pressure wash" the inside of the tank, but you need special equipment, if you don't want a professional just go with the method I've noted. I put a filter in line with the transfer pump so it is filtered coming out of the tanks, and I use the same setup to fill the tank from portable jugs so new fuel is filtered going into the tank. You can also use a hand pump but if you have a lot of fuel you will be pumping a lot.