Lifeline stanchions

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
1980 hunter 33 Corpus christi
We are 95% sure we will be using dyneema for our lifelines.one problem is our stanchions don't have bushings in the eyes.it was suggested to me to purchase some stainless steel tubing and cut the tubing and then mushroom the ends.has anyone done this or used another method.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you will need a flaring tool to do this ...that mushroom you speak of is called a flare ....not sure how you will do both sides ...the tool will do one side/end of the tube but there will be no way to use the tool on the other end after it is mounted in the stanchion

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
I was faced with a similar situation on my 180 Cherubini Hunter 36 when I bought it in 2007. The original plastic grommets which the lifeline wires were routed through the stanchions were mostly cracked or missing. The local hardware store had some plastic grommets .... but not enough. (Like these :http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Plastic-...786199?hash=item3ce2e65f17:g:v4MAAOSwhh5TmkeS). Also, I wasn't sure that the plastic grommets would survive the constant sun exposure over the years.

So I went for the alternative you are considering. I used small 1/4" sockets as the flaring tool. (Like the smaller ones in the picture in this link >> http://www.harborfreight.com/40-pie...-1-4-quarter-inch-drive-socket-set-47902.html) The smaller flared end of the socket fit nicely into the SS tube. Then using a C-clamp, I compressed/flared one side of the cut-to-size-for-the-stanchion-hole tube. The unflared end the tube was inserted into the stanchion hole. Then repeated the flaring step for that end. This solution didn't completely roll the flare to the full angle a professional tool would. But it did flare enough to provide a chafe-free pass through for my lifeline wires (or dyneema in your case). And the flare was enough to secure the tube in the stanchion hole. Before "flaring", I ran a Dremmel tool grinding stone fitting around the inside and outside edges of the cut SS tubing to remove the sharp edges.

So happens I had a picture the outcome on my boat ...

IMG_1085.JPG

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
Thank you gentleman.that's what I needed to hear.off to buy some tubing.

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Lake Norman
if you take a clamp and remove the swivel pad and grind a point on the tip you can then insert the tube through the stanchion and flair the ends while the tube is in the stanchion.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You could put a ball bearing on each end, stand it upright and hit the top bearing with a hammer. Or squeeze them in a vise or drill press for more controlled pressure. Not sure if it opens wide enough, but hand tools are made to mushroom snap fittings, might not be heavy enough duty for whatever tubing you go with.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
You could put a ball bearing on each end, stand it upright and hit the top bearing with a hammer. Or squeeze them in a vise or drill press for more controlled pressure. Not sure if it opens wide enough, but hand tools are made to mushroom snap fittings, might not be heavy enough duty for whatever tubing you go with.
that is a good reason to use thin wall seamless tubing

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
If the holes are 3/8" we now have some nylon ferrules that are designed for this. Not as cool as stainless, but less work. :)

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
Thank you all.I ordered the plastic grommets from ebay and Phil thanks for the heads up in the parts store.will be checking the parts store first for now on.

Dooz

Aug 1, 2016
Hunter 31 San Diego
Hi Phil - who is "we"? I'm new this site, and am looking for those nylon ferrules you speak of.
(1984 Hunter 31)
Thanks
Larry

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Larry. Look at the SBO SHOP feature. That is the Who of which Phil is speaking.

You ca also send a message to @Dave Groshong at the SBO shop. He is very helpful.