Lewmar 50ST "circlip" removal

Jul 7, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Jacksonville
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to lubricate my Lewmar 50ST primary winches (1994 Hunter Passage 42). Took most all of it apart with no problem but there's a bearing on the bottom for the main spindle that is held in by a retaining ring (they call it a "circlip"). (Part #20 in the attached diagram)

I can't figure out how I'm supposed to remove it. It's very inconvenient to access being that it's on the bottom of the winch. It also doesn't have holes like the kind of retaining rings I've encountered in the past. (I have special pliers with prongs for those)

Help! Any ideas?

I'm tempted to just WD-40 the crap out of the thing and grease it in place. Please stop me from half-assing another boat project. :)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Is the winch on or off your boat? It's easier to remove these clips when you have a good view of it while the winch is upside down and off the boat. Don't be tempted by the easy way. :wahwah:

Jul 7, 2014
It's on the boat, which is why getting to the clip is so difficult.

Please don't tell me I have to remove/rebed it or I will be even more tempted to do it the "easy" way! :)

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Have a beer first then remove the winches. Painless!

Jul 7, 2014
Had several beers, a bunch of vodka, sprayed the shit out of it with WD-40, blotted it with a shop papertowel, rubbed a bunch of SuperLube synthetic grease on the bearing, and put the damn thing back together. (Cleaned everything with mineral spirits, applied SuperLube grease on the rest of the bearings, SuperLube lightweight oil on the pawls).

It works (and sounds) so much better than before.

Only 3 more to go...I'm gonna run out of vodka...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
They call it a circclip but it may be a spirloc clip.
download.jpg
I found these used on my Barient winches. You use a small pointed awl to slide under the notch then continue around the clip opening the clip as you go sliding it off the spindle.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Had several beers, a bunch of vodka, sprayed the shit out of it with WD-40, blotted it with a shop papertowel, rubbed a bunch of SuperLube synthetic grease on the bearing, and put the damn thing back together. (Cleaned everything with mineral spirits, applied SuperLube grease on the rest of the bearings, SuperLube lightweight oil on the pawls).

It works (and sounds) so much better than before.

Only 3 more to go...I'm gonna run out of vodka...
The vodka supply issue is important to address. That lubricant needs to be resupplied far more often than WD-40, on my boat. But then it is even more versatile, so....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I've replaced WD40 with Corrison Block. Lasts longer. No dirt adherence to parts. Got a recommendation from some Boeing Engineers for use on their boats.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to lubricate my Lewmar 50ST primary winches (1994 Hunter Passage 42). Took most all of it apart with no problem but there's a bearing on the bottom for the main spindle that is held in by a retaining ring (they call it a "circlip"). (Part #20 in the attached diagram)

I can't figure out how I'm supposed to remove it. It's very inconvenient to access being that it's on the bottom of the winch. It also doesn't have holes like the kind of retaining rings I've encountered in the past. (I have special pliers with prongs for those)

Help! Any ideas?

I'm tempted to just WD-40 the crap out of the thing and grease it in place. Please stop me from half-assing another boat project. :)

Thanks in advance!
How to remove a winch (the easy way)
If you are removing a winch, there is a good chance it has been bedded down with 4200 or the dreaded 5200.
If you try to bash a paint scraper underneath with a hammer, you will scratch the crap out of your gel coat.
Here is the easy 5 minute method.
Remove all the mounting bolts (obvious)
Take a 1/2" line, and make a bowline large enough to just slip over the winch.
Now, take the other end of the line, and run it to another winch, preferably on the same plane.
Crank slowly.
In about 30 seconds it will break the seal and pop right off. Zero effort, and no damage

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I never remove mine, just grease it and reassemble the winch. It is protected and when it dies that will be justification for the considerable job of removing the winch.