Legend 35 skylight leaks STOPPED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Vasey

I wanted to thank Greg Emmerson from Hunter Marine for his help in solving this continous leaking problem, I think this is the first time in this boat's history the skylights haven't leaked! I had new dark tint 3/8" lexan skylights made (use old ones for patterns but had new ones size reduced by 1/8 to allow room for caulk and lexan expansion), cleaned up the old caulking mess, and I did not drill out any screw holes in new lexan, I used Dow 739 to secure the lexan to the deck as an adhesive and placed some weights to hold in place till set, then used masking tape to border both sides of void and filled with Dow 739, wiped excess away and removed tape! It looks professional!

D

Debra Blatnik

More info on Dow 739

This sounds somehow similar to 3M 5200. Any differences?

J

John Vasey

Dow 739

Hi Debra, sorry I am not aware if the two products are alike, I asked Hunter Marine what they use on current models and went from there. I did order the Dow product directly from Hunter and they shipped it right to my door. John V

P

Pete

dow 739/5200

Deb-dow739 and 5200 are not the same!The5200 cures hard and 739 stays soft. not intended for the same uses.

R

Robert Dean

Skylite Caulk

Whe I purchase my Hunter 35 in Feb of 1998, 3 of the 4 skylites were cracked - badly. Ordered 3 Lexan replacements from Hunter. At that time they recommended Dow Corning 795 silcon caulk. Seated the four skylites, 3 new and one carry over with the DC 795. Water tight for about 3 months then the three new ones leaked - the old carry over never did. Solved the leaking problem with 2" wide electric tape from Big Lots. As a spring project I am going to reseat the skylites in a new bed. Does anyone know the difference between the Dow 795 I used as per Hunter suggestion and the newer Dow 739 caulk referenced in this thread and now recommended by the Hunter people? What color Dow 739 did you use ?? I used a black Dow 795 in May of 1998 when I reset the skylites, but am now considering a white caulk. RD

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Note to John Vasey

Congratulations on stopping your skylight leaks! I know this was a real ordeal because we had the same problem on our '88 H-35 until almost three years ago. And ditto the opening ports too (they also used to leak). Question: Do you still have your old skylight material and would you be interested in selling them? I have a need for one (aft port side) in particular. If you're interested please drop me a line. John Nantz heron@sprintmail.com

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Black Sealant

Forgot to answer the question about sealant color. With regard to the question about sealant, white vs black, and UV resistance, the black has better resistance.

H

hp

black and white

when I ordered some 739 they asked me if I wanted black or white so presumable it comes in both.

R

Robert Dean

Sealing Procedure

John, Would you outline the resealing/reseating procedures Hunter gave you and/or that you utilized for the DC 739 caulking and the Hunter 35 skylites ?? RD

R

Robert Dean

Sealant Facts

This thread on DC 739 and 795 caper is most interesting. Called Dow Corning and requested info as to the difference between the two. As I stated below, in the 1998 time frame I bedded three of my four new skylites and with DC 795 as recommended by Hunter. Dow Corning provided that the 795 was a building construction product and the 739 was for use in aerospace. Accoridng to Greg Emerson they both have the same properities: but Hunter shifted to the 739 product because it was cheaper. I just order 5 tubes and they are $6.51 per tube. The 795 was about 12 dollars per tube as best I can recall. In any case I plan to rebed the three skylites that are leaking with the 739 product = shortly. Hope cheaper is better RD Hunter 35

Status
Not open for further replies.