Jon Eisberg

Dec 26, 2015
Tripp 36 Grosse Pointe, MI
It is with a very heavy heart I have been asked by Jon's brother to let you know we learned earlier today that Jon passed away at home. I certainly hope this is the right forum to post this news; if not, please direct me to it, thanks.

Jon's passing was quite sudden and without being cryptic, it's simply so current, we're still processing. I'll post more news as it develops.

Jon and I have been friends since Kindergarten. As we went our various ways, we always found time to share our passion: sailing.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A friend since kindergarten is a rare and valuable thing. I have a few of that vintage and I treasure those relationships. My heartfelt condolences to you.

Sep 24, 2007
- - Sydney, Australia.
Sad news indeed. Jon's contributions to SailNet have always been a highlight for me and while I never had the chance to meet the man in person, I held him in very high regard indeed. Those of us who had the pleasure of viewing the photographs of his various cruises were privileged indeed, not to mention his readiness to offer advice whenever asked. A good man, he will be missed.

(aka tdw ... one of the SailNet mods.)

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I only knew him through his postings, but they were always a valuable contribution.

May 10, 2013
Hunter 40 Corpus Christi
This truly, honestly hurts. Jon is one of my favorite guys EVER on the forums. We had a lot of fun going after each other on the forums - and joking about it in private messages.

I had truly hoped to meet him one day soon. I will miss you JonE. You were one of the good guys.

Fair winds my friend.

Damn.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
That is tough news to take in. It is a loss to the sailing community.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
damn. is sad.. r i p jon.
no words

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Damn sad news.
Jon was definitely one of the good guys on the forums. I always valued his experience. Fair winds...

Gail R

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson 34 Freeport, ME
Still trying to find the right words. I first "met" Jon online at the old Cruising World forum, and have read his posts on a number of others, including here. I've seen him in person a few times, most recently this fall when he was in town for less than a day, picking up a boat to deliver to someplace warmer.

Other than to say he was an incredibly smart, nice, real guy, it is hard to explain how he touched the life of nearly everyone who encountered him. It didn't matter whether it was strictly on line, in person, or a combination of the two. Nor does it matter how often. He very simply touched and inspired many, many people.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Huge loss to sailors all over the world. Jon was a wonderful guy and will be greatly missed.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Had dinner with Jon a few times when he was in Milwaukee to shoot races at the Milwaukee Mile. Always enjoyed his contributions to the forums, sorry to hear of his passing.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
This is indeed very sad news, not what I expected to see this morning.
Although I never knew him personally he seemed to be a very genuine guy.
I'll miss his stories, sound advice given to others & his awesome pictures.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I am crushed by this news and am sure my thoughts will be poorly composed....

Having known Jon since the very, very early days of the CWBB (Cruising World Bulletin Board) which later became the CSBB. I will miss dearly Jon's contributions. I have been reading his postings & exceptionally well thought out viewpoints for somewhere around 20 years... Every time Jon would post I would get giddy and look forward to reading his thoughts on the subject at hand.

While I had only met Jon a few times in person, he was a customer and I considered him a friend. When we would chat on the phone he was kind, even natured and witty. Jon was a true sailors, sailor one of the very few that still existed at his level. I vividly remember Jon's posts on sailing to the Basin up here in Maine in the middle of the winter. His jaunts to Labrador and Newfoundland we also exceptional and his wit and understanding of what actually works, when off shore, and what does not, never ceased to amaze me.

I was bummed to have missed Jon when he was in Maine last summer. Our paths just did not cross on this delivery but he met with other friends. while he was here.

My friend Paul took this photo of Jon, looking as Jon always did, with that great smile and er (grin)... Jon is certainly (grinning) down on us today... (grin)

Fair winds Jon, Chancy will surely miss you, just as we do!! (grin)

Dec 26, 2015
Thank you all for the kind words about our pal, Jon and thanks to those who offered words of support.

I spoke with Bud, Jon's brother, earlier today. He intends to put a memorial service together but he stated it won't for for a few months. I didn't inquire about location. Will keep you posted.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
This is a real blow. I always enjoyed Jon's posts, as, I guess, most everyone did. As my wife's grandmother used to say "The good ones get tooken"

Dec 26, 2015
At this point, there will be a memorial in April in Annapolis. As details flesh out, I'll post more.

Dec 26, 2015
Should have posted this sooner;

Jon's Memorial:

April 16, 2016
1600-1900
Chessie Lounge
Port Annapolis Marina
7074 Bembe Beach Road
Annapolis, MD