Jolly Roger

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
this question pops up a couple times a year..... and after all the reasons pro and con, my answer still hasnt changed.

No. No, no and just No.... DONT DO IT!!!:biggrin:

No reason not to fly it.... but I dont see where the "fun" would be in flying it...

as a wall hanging, or port shade its ok... and maybe its just me but in my opinion, it seems its always the newbies that are asking the question and looking for reasons or approval to fly the skull and cross bones... so when I see it flying from someones boat, it gives me the impression that the person has less boating experience rather than more....and this impression is reinforced by the lack of any experienced boaters who would even consider hoisting it..

not that my impressions should matter to anyone,or that there is anything wrong with newbies.... just sayin'.... we were ALL newbies at least once in our lives.:)

Last edited:

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
I can't wait for spring to sail and fly all the flags I want.....German/ French...Cause we hosted two foreign exchange students.....Denmark/Belgium both our kids were exchange students to those countries....Columbia as my daughter aupair is from there....Fun stuff

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's pretty annoying when someone asks your opinion, then argues with you about it. In such a case, it appears that the only reason opinion was sought was to incite controversy.... rather than reach a consensus.

I don't think anyone cares whether another sailor flies the JR or not... so there is no wrong opinion.

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
Wasn't trolling at all......Honest question.....Sheesh. as Steve Martin might say " well excuuuuuuuuuuse meeee".

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
Go for it Capngl. Lol. Life is tuff enough with all this political crap out there. By the way: do you have a 6 pack or higher to place the title Captain on your name. Just asking.
Let's open this thread up.
There are sunny day sailors and there are sailors. What are you out there?
Yes: rum is in control. Lol

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I'm happy to say I'm with Cubs Fans! :biggrin:
As long as you have been a Cubs fan for more than a few months!

As far as the JR is concerned, I could care less what flag someone flies. Sometimes I fly a Notre Dame flag, or other "fun" flag along with my US flag. 2017 season will definitely have a Cubs flag in the mix.

Greg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Wasn't trolling at all......Honest question.....Sheesh. as Steve Martin might say " well excuuuuuuuuuuse meeee".
I disagree.... You may have started with an honest question... but as soon as you began making biased comments to the responses, it morphed from a legitimate inquiry into a cross examination. Try re reading the thread to see what I mean. Anyway... have fun with all the other flags... I think they are cool, their meaning or representation makes a great topic of conversation.

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
I see your point Joe...Although I may disagree. Bias was first aimed at me....However text discussion leave a large hole in meaning as there is no body language or expression available. Let's just all have a virtual cocktail tonight at midnight and wish each other fair winds for 2017.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
CapnGL. do you sail Flathead lake? An old flying buddy of mine lives in Kalispell and wants us to come visit. just wondering what the sailing was like at Flathead and should we take the boat along. sure looks nice on paper.

Cheers!!

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
It's a great lake but never sailed it. Use to live in Bigfork....I would say yes to sailing it...i plan to at some point.....

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Rape, *then* kill. Pillage, *then* burn.

(I might be banned for awhile for this. See you on the other side. If even then.)