Jolly Roger

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point

Ok, I stand corrected, apparently I do know one person with a pirate flag. I don't want to spoil your fun, just trying to let you in on what it means to others, obviously you don't care 'cause your a pirate right ?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
A long thread on another forum changed my mind on flying the JR. I originally really didn't care, although I viewed it as something that folks that hang out at Lake Havasu do. Kinda lame, but whatever.

The point was made about what real pirates, typically in the Atlantic/carib, were like. They did not play nice at all. In fact, they were really horrific. Just like I won't fly a confederate flag on my pickup, I won't fly a JR. But you can. I won't stop anybody. I'm not like over the top you can't do this, but I have changed to think it's kinda crass. What are you trying to say with a JR? One would hope you're not saying you're an actual pirate.

But, if someone were anchored next to me flying a JR, I'd still share cocktails with em.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We fly the JR at times, and other times the smiley. depends on the admirals mood that day I guess ;) . I'm ok with flying whichever one makes her happy and don't care which one others like (or not). ;)
P1040372.jpg P1040276.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sorry.... I'm with Ted and Stu... I think they are unoriginal and silly. What would be the message, if any?

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
This is getting to be too much. Here in Kemah and Seabrook they have pirate days and parties. People dress up and have a good time. When I see a flag flying I don't disdain it. To me it's a symbol of people who enjoy a good time. Ever come under attack from a pirate ship firing water filled balloons at you? Lighten up!

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
OORAH and Semper fi back atcha. Unless they changed the rule in the last 50 years, Proper flag "etiquette" U.S. flag or ensign, don't know what other countries rules are, is to be flown on post at stern offset to starboard, if boat has tiller, of yatch or attached to the mainsail on gaff rig. Them are the rules. Check with Coast Guard or U.S. power squadron. I'm just sayin'. All other, including YC Burgee, from halyard on starboard spreader. When in waters of another country. i.e. Canada or Mexico, that countries national flag should be displayed from the spreader halyard with YC burgee below. As for novelty flags it is wide open.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If Barnegat can name the bayshore section of town "Pirates Peninsula", then I don't suppose there is anything wrong with flying my Jolly Roger. :cool:
http://activerain.com/blogsview/1818449/barnegat--nj-bayfront---pirate-s-peninsula-
http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com...tion-as-pirate-s-peninsula/863069?cid=3533792
Barnegat also has an annual "Pirate's Day" celebration.
Of course, there is some history of pirates along the Jersey coast.
If anybody's laughing ... that's ok (happy to provide some entertainment).
If anybody's got a problem with it ... too bad (it's their problem, not mine).

Last edited:

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
I love it!!!! Humor lives!!!!!! Yayyy for all you seafairing fun types......
Cheers n grog to the crew!

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
Just because I have a BB gun doesn't mean I support murder.. a bit of a false equivalency don't you think?